4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2010 6:35 AM by Kevin Elmore

Imported AVI cut off at top

Kevin Elmore Level 1

Hello there.  I'm evaluating AE for purchase, and I have run into a snag during my evaluation.

I am attempting to import a 1920 x 1200 AVI movie so I can do some blur effects to it.  Looks great so far.  Then I noticed that the top is cut off.

My Composition panel has a black bar across the bottom that is 180 pixels high.  My movie is positioned above that black bar and extends up for 960 pixels where the top 240 pixels inexplicably get cut off.  Above this is another 60 pixels of black space.

I defined my composition settings to be 1920 px x 1200 px.  I use Square Pixels for my Pixel Aspect Ratio so I could keep my 8:5 ratio.  As far as I can tell, everything is set up to import a 1920 x 1200 movie, but I'm not sure why the movie would be positioned 180 pixels above the bottom and why I would lose an additional 60 pixels at the top.  Is there another setting I should look for?  I've jacked with the Position and Anchor Point parameters of my movie layer, but they do not bring back my lost pixels.

The width is completely unaffected, BTW.

Kevin

• 1. Re: Imported AVI cut off at top
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

How is the source footage interpreted?  Is it also seen as 1920x1200?  Does it have square pixels?  If the interpretation is incorrect, it won't match the settings of your composition.

Out of interest, what is the source of the footage?  1920x1200 is not a standard HD resolution - any reason why you aren't working in the more conventional 1920x1080?.

• 2. Re: Imported AVI cut off at top
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What footage is it exactly? AVI doesn't mean a thing without knowing the CoDec it is using. Either these are decode errors on specific compressed formats or you are seeing OpenGL buffer problems. In the latter case, obviously turning off OpenGL might help to fix things. also provide some info about your system. Graphics card, memory, processor and all that.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Imported AVI cut off at top
              Kevin Elmore Level 1

Andrew Yoole wrote:

How is the source footage interpreted?  Is it also seen as 1920x1200?  Does it have square pixels?  If the interpretation is incorrect, it won't match the settings of your composition.

Out of interest, what is the source of the footage?  1920x1200 is not a standard HD resolution - any reason why you aren't working in the more conventional 1920x1080?.

I appreciate the replies, and I'll try to give as much detail about my situation as possible.  I'll have to beg your pardons, as I do not know that much about the inner workings of video.

As for the source, it is a screen recording.  The purpose is to create "training videos" where one can watch the actions of an employee who does the job well. We have quite a few on-screen applications, and the monitors are set to 1920 x 1200.  I assumed Square Pixel for the aspect ratio, but I can try the others choices.  In fact, I recall that Square Pixels was not the default choice when I imported the video, so that may be an issue.

Sadly, I don't know the codec.  When I open the AVI in Media Player and look in the Properties, there is only a dash for the Video Codec.

I hope I've been able to elaborate more on my problem.  If there is anything else that may help, I'm open to doing it.

Kevin

• 4. Re: Imported AVI cut off at top
                Kevin Elmore Level 1

I've had some time to experiment with this.  I tried all the options for the Pixel Aspect Ratio whenever I create a new Composition.  In all cases, I can only see the bottom 960 pixels of my 1920 x 1200 movies.  I now realize that my original question was incorrectly based.  The black bars on top and bottom were just the project background that happened to be 60 and 180 pixels because of how the movie came in.

I believe the full movie does import fine.  When I import the movie and then double-click on it, then the preview shows the full height of 1200 pixels (a little distorted because the preview window is not 8:5, but I'm cool with that).  The problem is when I add the movie to the Composition.  In all instances, this cuts off the top 240 pixels.

Although, another strange thing I notice.  When I select the movie in the Composition, the sizing handles do not exactly bound what I see.  The sizing handles represent a box that is 1920 x 1080.  The 960-px cropped image starts at the top of the bounding box, leaving an empty space of 120 pixels at the bottom.  So, even though my Composition is defined as 1920 x 1200, the movie is represented as a 1920 x 1080 object, but the movie's vertical placement is off by 120 pixels.  I wish I could screen shot this, but I should be able to draw a crude representation of what I'm seeing.

Hopefully, the Courier New will come across successfully.  In short, the pound signs are empty spaces.  The letter O represents the movie.  The letter X represents the four corners of my bounding box.

############################################

XooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooX

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

X##########################################X

(not to scale)

I hope all that rambling makes sense.  I'll keep experimenting with this.  I didn't realize AE has so many different options to select and deselect.  If it helps, I can check with my management about the possibility of sending a sample movie through e-mail, if someone is bored enough to experiment.  I may need to have one recorded that is considered "safe."

Kevin