8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2010 2:41 PM by Rasterdan2U

Is it possible to edit the paragraph style (none)?

Rasterdan2U

Every time i make a bulleted list or numbered list, i get a font syle that we don't use in our project.  I have attempted to edit this style but it is greyed out.  All other styles allow editing.  How can i edit this default style (none)?  I did a search in the help file and on the forum but did not see any results.  Either it is too simple or others are ok with this style.

thanks

• 1. Re: Is it possible to edit the paragraph style (none)?
          Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional

It does help if you start all threads with the version and edition of RoboHelp that you are using, see Before You Post. Not everyone who could help will remember that information and I can't recall it for everyone. lt also helps if threads are in the right category as covered in another sticky topic, in this case I know you are using RoboHelp HTML 8.

I think the answer to this problem is what I have covered in the RoboHelp Tour on my site under Lists.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

• 2. Re: Is it possible to edit the paragraph style (none)?
            Rasterdan2U Level 1

When I attempt to edit style "(none)", everything is grayed out and nothing is selectable or editable.  I went to your site and while it is possible to edit other styles, it is not possible to edit (none).  I attempted to make another style (none) and now it appears also but the program defaluts to the original.  this is annoying.  Any ideas.

Also I was looking at some of your comments on using some of the larger icons for "NOTE" at the bottom of the page where you talk about editing styles in the styles pod.  We just allow more paragraph space before and it seems to display properly.

• 3. Re: Is it possible to edit the paragraph style (none)?
              Willam van Weelden Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi,

'none' doesn't mean a regular paragraph, rather no paragraph at all. You normally only see 'none' in a table cell or a list, when you've removed the paragraph tags.

Since 'none' means the lack of a paragraph, you cannot style it. You can style the text however, by styling the list or table cell. When you create a list, RH normally applies the paragraph the line had before you made it into a list. How do you create a list?

Greet,

Willam

This e-mail is personal. For our full disclaimer, please visit www.centric.eu/disclaimer.

• 4. Re: Is it possible to edit the paragraph style (none)?
                Rasterdan2U Level 1

Since we get unwanted items from MS Word when we copy and paste, my text is first pasted to notepad to remove any formatting from Word.  then i copy and paste into a blank topic or one from our Master Page gallery.  If i click on numbered or bulleted the font changes to Arial 12.  If i select all of the text and click on normal the font changes but not the bullets.  I have to click on the font and then click on the font size (even if they are displayed correctly) to get the bullet and number in the list to reflect the current font style and size.

I have not had very much time to troubleshoot this so I was hoping someone else might have seen this and know how to resolve.

I have also attempted to reapply the style so that 'none' would reflect the default font of our project but for some reason, it won't apply.  Maybe i will have to make a new css and apply.

• 5. Re: Is it possible to edit the paragraph style (none)?

In RH8, lists rely on what you have defined for the LI tag. If nothing, then the HTML defaults apply. You can select the list items and apply Normal.

See Lists in the RoboHelp Tour on my site. It sounds like that is the information you need.

@petergrainge

• 6. Re: Is it possible to edit the paragraph style (none)?
                    Rasterdan2U Level 1

I don't want to have to do a lot of steps every time i click on a numbered list.  The old way worked perfectly.  I want to be able to set my default list parameters so when i click on numbered or bulleted list, I get the format that I use 99% of the time.  I have edited BasicNumber so that it reflects what i want but, again i have to do a bunch of clicking around when all i want is a simple numbered list.

Your tour while nice, does not address editing the default parameters of the Default or None items.  We use verdana 10 for most of our fonts.  The default seems to be hung up on Arial 12.  I was poking around in the default.css and nervous about making changes there but ... if this will fix the problem, then maybe i need to alter the none entry there.

• 7. Re: Is it possible to edit the paragraph style (none)?

The choice is to apply other styles as I have done or simply to define your LI style, which is the HTML pure way. The reason I don't do that is you cannot map the LI tag for printed documentation. I just start the list, select the style I want and that's it. It is one extra step.

What's behind this change is that people have complained that the code should be clean and now it is, people are realising there is a down side.

When no style is applied, as in None, then the font will be whatever is defined by the browser. Try changing the default font of your browser to some obscure font and generate an output. What you will see is that obscure font. Now view the same output in a different browser with a different default font.

You cannot edit None as Willam explained. None means no style is applied so the browser default applies. You may see it as Arial, the next person may see it as something else. Editing a CSS defines the styles you include in that CSS. You apply those styles to paragraphs or you don't, as in no style is applied as in None.

Clearer now?

@petergrainge

• 8. Re: Is it possible to edit the paragraph style (none)?
                        Rasterdan2U Level 1

Clearer now.  I like the other way better, we only compile into a .chm output and it seems to have worked properly for the last 10 years, now we have to change.  I still like RH7 better.  RH8 has been nothing but grief and we have not used anything that was not in RH7.  It now is too late to go back so we trudge onward.

Thanks for taking the time to explain in a way I can understand.

dv

Dan Vasterling

T +1 604 273 7730 M +1 727 698 3422