12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2010 9:36 AM by Andy Post

Elements process doesn't quit

Andy Post Level 1

Just upgraded to premiere elements 8.  I'm on Windows 7 64 bit.  When I exit the program the process will not quit, and continues to use 25% of the processor capacity.

Is this a known issue, and is there a fix?

• 1. Re: Elements process doesn't quit
          the_wine_snob Level 9

There is a good FAQ Entry, that focus on this. The FAQ's are accessed from the right-side of the main forum page.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Elements process doesn't quit
            Andy Post Level 1

Thanks bill, I'll give it a shot.  I was also going to ask about getting rid of the Welcome Screen too.

• 3. Re: Elements process doesn't quit
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Andy,

That one is in there too, IIRC. If not, ATR posted a rather long, but highly informative article on PrE 8, and that was covered there too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Elements process doesn't quit
                Andy Post Level 1

Thanks for the input.  I did find that, and have upgraded to nVidia Driver 196.21  But issues still persit.   It DID let me put a cross disolve in there.  But I'm adding a crop to ever still in the sequence.  In version 4 I'd have to drag the crop effect to each still one at a time.  In version 8 I have to drag and drop, then do so twice for the next clip.  Seems it want's me to choose the clip first before I drop on it.  So I tried drag/drop/select next clip/drag/crash.

Very frustrating.  I'm working on an 8 week project for my local habitat for humanity crew and the last two weeks have been just horrible.  I tried again opening the Premier Elements file in a Pro Trial Version and get a "The project could not be loaded, it may be damaged or contain outdated elements.

Hate to have to go shopping for a Mac.  Any ideas?

• 5. Re: Elements process doesn't quit
                  nealeh Level 5

The usual solution to problems with still photographs is the picture size. You don't want it more than 1000  x 750 pixels. Full details here: "What resolution should my photos be in Premiere Elements?".

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: Elements process doesn't quit
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

When one applies an Effect to one image/Clip, and the wish to use it on others, PrE makes that easy. First apply all the necessary Effects, and adjust them (Edit Effect) to suit. Rt-click on that image/Clip, and choose Copy. Then Select (you can lasso with the Cursor, or Shift-click all that will require that/those Effect(s), and when Selected, Rt-click and choose Paste Attributes. The Effect(s) from the first image/Clip will be applied to all the rest. If necessary, Select (Click) any and then make adjustment to the Effects.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Elements process doesn't quit
                      Andy Post Level 1

Nealeh...as a photographer, I'm already using what I'd call really low rez images.  I'm starting just over 2K pixels on the longest side.  I'm not good enough at this to pre-plan how large each image need to be on the timeline and scale each one for it's spot, so I'd like a little room to rez up/down as I need.

Bill,

thanks for the tip...that'w what I get for being in a position of having to learn a new application while trying to get something done.  (especially when that app keeps crashing)  I thought I was out of the woods and got quite a bit done last night.  I just saved after applying and or editing an effect or repositioning a still.  This AM I started up again, and was about to try your advice.  My underlying video was a bit dark so I started bumping up the intensity on each section.  On about the 3rd one it crashed.

Thought I'd go back to my Quadro card, but then saw that it's an nVida as well.  DAG!

I'll try your advice and see if that averts trouble.

Also looks like I might have to upgrade my way overpriced Wacom tablet.  Can't seem to get that to work in the current world either.  All things considered Windows XP and 4GB of ram was slower than Windows 7 64 bit with 20GB or ram....but it seldom crashed all together.

• 8. Re: Elements process doesn't quit
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Andy,

RE: the crashes - Chad Baker from Adobe just posted that there is now a patch for PrE 8. See the sticky at the top of the main forum page. It is available via the Update Manager.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Elements process doesn't quit
                          Andy Post Level 1

Bill,

Thank you so much for your help.  I fear I have passed luck and am now looking for divine intervention.

I noticed when restarting after patching all my adobe applications that background rendering had been turned off.  That was actually something I was going to do.  I can only imagine it would be trying to render something I had just tried to edit, but assume the computer was smarter than that.

You probably can't offer opintions, but I'll ask anyway.  I started with an nVidia Quadro 3450, had one in each of my Dell workstations.  When I upgraded to Photoshop CS4 (where I live most of the time as a still shooter) I could never get a driver that worked.  On one machine an nVidia 9600 seems to work well.  On this machine the 9800 seems to work for photoshop.  BUT I don't know if it's the reason my Wacom tablet isn't working now, and it seems to be a big factor in PE's bad attitude.  Should I look for a card that's not nVidia based?

• 10. Re: Elements process doesn't quit
                            Andy Post Level 1

I still get the "Display performace will be poor due to incorrectly operation graphics card or driver" message.  Is there a current list of what cards adobe likes?  And is there one that all adobe products like?  I got this one because it was a close as I could find to the photoshop cs4 list.

• 11. Re: Elements process doesn't quit
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

There might be a list of cards out there, but I do not have any URL's. Also, as cards are updated and introduced with some regularity, I'd worry that any such list would be out of date.

I use the Quadro FX-4500 512 on my workstation, and it does just fine for the CS2 Production Studio - PS, PrPro, AE and all the rest. I did just have to update the driver, as some Windows XP update seemed to mess with the previous one. Though I recommend that others do update their video drivers, at the fist sign of trouble, I usually do it only when I have an issue. I'm usually 4 - 5 versions behind, but so long as things work well, I do not want to temp fate.

I have the GeForce 8800m GTX on my laptop (where I have PrE 4), and have no issues. I recently installed a new driver for it, at about the same time as for the Quadro, because of an XP update.

Now, two things that you might want to look into would be Hardware Acceleration, and OpenGL. Both can cause issues. This ARTICLE has some general tips on troubleshooting.

Hope that some of that helps and good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Elements process doesn't quit
                                Andy Post Level 1

Again, Thank you.

I will look at that when I'm done. I seem to be in a stable patch and will get done what I can before I go poking at it.