7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2010 10:01 AM by Zabeth69

why is this happening?

MichaelCo Level 1

alignment problem.jpg

I am using divs and for the menu pop menu VII, which is in a div 960 width.

I want to get the freen div to the left but it wants to stay to the right of the nav bar.

If I put in a few extra links on nav bar, it goes to the left and actually looks quite good

I have tried float left but this achieves nothing. I have spent at least 7 or 8 hours on this problem but no joy.

Any help would be grealy appreciated.

• 1. Re: why is this happening?
          John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Got a link? Hard to tell from a screenshot.

• 2. Re: why is this happening?
            MichaelCo Level 1

No, sorry. I am just working on site just now and I have left original site online meantime.

I'm sure it must be something very simple.

• 3. Re: why is this happening?
              Zabeth69 Level 5

It appears to me that your menubar is floated left and your green div...because of the float left...is naturally flowing up to the right of the menubar.

If you place a clearing element after your menubar, the green div should drop below it to the left. A clearing element can be as simple as  CSS class style like

.clear {clear: both;} /*in your CSS file*/

class="clear" <!--in your html-->

that you add to the div tag on the green div, as

<div class="green clear">

Note that whatever ID or class makes the div green is still there...if you are adding a second class to a tag with an existing class, be sure to leave a space between them.

Beth

• 4. Re: why is this happening?
                MichaelCo Level 1

Hi again,

I actually found the answer to my problem. I had started the div tag after navigation tag and not after he div tag which was holding my PVII nav bar. Just a final point on this, does the PVII nav bar need to gointo a div or is it best to just insert it in after my logo and at top of main page?

Thanks again

Michael

• 5. Re: why is this happening?
                  Zabeth69 Level 5

Oh, I see, so it is/was sitting in the same div as your navigation. That makes sense, according to what we saw!

I typically put my navigation into a div, just to make it more controllable. Personal technique, I guess. That nav div itself can go after the logo at the top of the main page, but there, too, it depends on your page layout. SpryMenuBars get a little tricky adjacent to Flash, but that can be controlled; SpryMenuBars don't fall well over iframes, etc.

Beth

• 6. Re: why is this happening?
                    MichaelCo Level 1

Hi Beth

SpryMenuBars get a little tricky adjacent to Flash, but that can be  controlled; SpryMenuBars don't fall well over iframes, etc.

I would not know what all that is - different language  for me.

Thanks for help

• 7. Re: why is this happening?
                      Zabeth69 Level 5

Don't worry...if you did not use Spry Menu, you should not be concerned.

Best,

Beth