8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2010 7:39 AM by sojourner146

how do you export a 3dw file

downerxx Level 1

i've downloaded five 3d animations suggested by adobe and none of them seem to have such a function,(to export to .3dw)

also director only appears to be able to export to avi, unless i missed something..

• 1. Re: how do you export a 3dw file
          Mike Blaustein Level 4

I have never heard of a 3dw file... but if you mean that you want a w3d file (which is shockwave 3d usable in Director), then there are a few programs that do that export.  I use 3d studio max 9.  I have not tried more recent versions of Max, but they might also have the same export options.  I know Maya used ot also.  I used older versions of that before.  You did have to go into the plugin preferences and enable the export plugin in order to make it show up though.

Director can "export" only avi and quicktime (possibly only on Mac), but that is really not what Director is all about.  It is not a program to make flat movies.  It is an interactive development tool, and the main thing you would be doing is "publishing" your project as an executable or a shockwave dcr for the web.  If you just want to make an animated non-interactive 3d movie, you would do that straight from yout 3d package, or possibly from something like Premier or After Effects.  If you want a full interactive multimedia program, then that is what Director is for.

• 2. Re: how do you export a 3dw file
            downerxx Level 1

2 gigs of wasted space and 4 hours later, it doesnt export w3d ither

• 3. Re: how do you export a 3dw file
              Necromanthus Level 2

Mike Blaustein wrote:

I use 3d studio max 9.  I have not tried more recent versions of Max, but they might also have the same export options.  I know Maya used ot also.  I used older versions of that before.  You did have to go into the plugin preferences and enable the export plugin in order to make it show up though.

All the recent versions of 3DS Max (2008, 2009 & 2010) include the W3D Exporter in the default plugins.

But only the 32bit versions.

• 4. Re: how do you export a 3dw file
                sojourner146 Level 1

What animations did you download and what were you wanting to do with them?

• 5. Re: how do you export a 3dw file
                  tyree_2 Level 2

it will be easier to make your own animations and export them

• 6. Re: how do you export a 3dw file
                    sojourner146 Level 1

Thanks for the tip, but I was trying to better understand the nature of the problem rather than to solve it.  If he's using examples from Adobe they should work,  but I know from experience that a small misunderstanding of what to expect can lead to hours of confusion.

• 7. Re: how do you export a 3dw file
                      Necromanthus Level 2

All you need is an application able to export W3D files.

The best W3D exporter so far comes with 3DS Max (any 32 bit version).

There're a few rules to export properly the geometry and the materials.

Here are a few of them:

http://forum.necromanthus.com/necroforum.php?forum=1&topic=84

good luck

• 8. Re: how do you export a 3dw file
                        sojourner146 Level 1

I'm trying to find out from Downerxx what he's trying to do.  He may not be aware of how 3D applications are used with Director or what .w3d files are.  For instance, someone unused to Director might get stuck trying to 'open' rather than 'import' a .w3d file, or might not realize that a .w3d file with only animation data is utterly black. Some programs such as Carrara will export .w3D with geometry data but not animation data.  If he's using files from Adobe, they work when used as intended (most of the time) so I'm assuming that he's not using them as they were intended to be used due to some simple misunderstanding.