12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2012 2:12 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 3 Freezes on startup in Windows 7

clowesga2 Level 1

I just loaded Premiere Elements 3 on a laptop with Windows 7 and it freezes on startup. I can't find any reference to drivers for Windows 7. I've used PE3 satisfactorily with Windows XP and want to continue to use it. Does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve upgrading to a later version or switching to another video editing program? I've already uninstalled and reinstalled.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 3 Freezes on startup in Windows 7
          nealeh Level 5

A lot more information is necessary. Check out Announcement 1 - "Got a problem? Here's how best to ask for help" at the top of the PRE Forum page.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 3 Freezes on startup in Windows 7
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Also, you MUST install the 3.02 update to version 3 in order for it to run on Vista and Windows 7.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3565

Although it still may not run on Windows 7 64-bit. This is, after all, a relatively old version of the program.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3565

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 3 Freezes on startup in Windows 7
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you have Win7 PRO or above, go to http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Premiere Elements 3 Freezes on startup in Windows 7
                clowesga2 Level 1

Thanks for all three responses. Long story short: I've made progress to where Premiere Elements 7 now freezes *after* startup in Windows 7.

Neale: It's Windows Home Premium on a Sony VGN-NW270F with an Intel Core2 Duo T6600 2.2 GHz processor, with 4GB of memory. I hope this additional information is helpful in diagnosing my problems with PE3 version 3.02 and Windows 7.

Steve: I found I already had PE3 Version 3.02, so that was not the problem. However, I did uninstall and re-install, with no better results. I then poked around in the Windows 7 Help files and stumbled across the misnamed "Compatibility Manager" (it's really an "Incompatibility Manager"). When I set PE3 to run under XP Service Pack 2, PE3 finally started up. I then found I could load video files and edit them. But, after working on this for a few days, I tried to use the Transitions and Effects Button. That invariably sends PE3 off to La La Land, which only a power off will fix (I haven't had to power off so many times since I used Windows 95 and the early DOS systems, which doesn't seem like progress.)  So far, I haven't found a solution to this new freeze problem. Any suggestions as to what might make PE3 work properly?

You say that PE3 is a relatively old version of the program. Well, not that old -- "old" programs dated 2007 should work on operating systems released only two years later. However, I haven't upgraded from PE3 because it worked really well on my XP machine and subsequent releases of PE appear to be buggy. From what I've read in the Forum here, I wouldn't upgrade to PE8 because even that version doesn't seem to work well with Windows 7. I've wasted enough time on this already.

John: Unfortunately, I just have Windows 7 Home Premium, the plain vanilla OS.  So far, I am thoroughly unimpressed with Windows 7. New operating systems are supposed to bring advantages, not be incapable of running programs that ran under previous operating systems.

Thanks,

George

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 3 Freezes on startup in Windows 7
                  nealeh Level 5

clowesga2 wrote:

Neale: It's Windows Home Premium on a Sony VGN-NW270F with an Intel Core2 Duo T6600 2.2 GHz processor, with 4GB of memory. I hope this additional information is helpful in diagnosing my problems with PE3 version 3.02 and Windows 7.

It's a start. Being a laptop would I be right in thinking that it only has a single hard disk (HDD) and onboard sound?

What is the HDD capacity and how much free space does it have?

Is your Windows 32-bit or 64-bit?

How have you captured the footage and how did you get it onto your PC?

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 3 Freezes on startup in Windows 7
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

George,

Crashing with Transitions and Effects has almost always been due to video driver issues. Unfortunately, many laptops use proprietary drivers, i.e. maybe an nVidia card/chip, with an nVidia driver, BUT one rewritten by the laptop mfgr. What this means is that the updated driver from the card/chip mfgr. might not load and work. First thing that I would do would be to check the laptop's mfgr's. Web site, and check for an updated driver, especially for Win7. If you have that one, check on the card/chip mfgr's. site, but keep your fingers X'ed, that one from there will work.

There was once a site, that had the utilities to convert say an nVidia driver to work in, say a Toshiba laptop. It was not an easy process, but worked for years. Do not know if they are still around. More laptop mfgrs. seem to be adding physical video cards, and are moving away from proprietary drivers - good thing in my book. Let the user be able to just download the latest and go.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Premiere Elements 3 Freezes on startup in Windows 7
                      nealeh Level 5

clowesga2 wrote:

I just loaded Premiere Elements 3 on a laptop with Windows 7 and it freezes on startup. I can't find any reference to drivers for Windows 7.

For your computer there is a video update available. It's description doesn't sound related to your problem but it makes sense to install it anyway. I recommend you create a system restore point before performing the update.

Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family Driver Update

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 3 Freezes on startup in Windows 7
                        clowesga2 Level 1

Thanks for the additional responses. Long story short: If anyone raises a similar question in the future, just tell them: Premiere Elements 3 does NOT run under Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Hunt -- Thanks for the insightful post. With that, and Neale's link to the laptop update, I updated just about everything on the laptop -- video driver, laptop updates, and Windows critical updates plus optional updates. Despite all this, PE3 still freezes in a whole range of situations, such as Opening a New Project, Creating a DVD, initiating Effects and Transitions, and Exporting to MPG or AVI files. Bottom line for anyone else who tries this: Premiere Elements 3 does not run under Windows 7 64-bit OS.

John had the best suggestion -- go to Windows 7 Professional and run PE3 in Windows XP Mode. Unfortunately, I can't implement that simple solution for two reasons: 1) The version of Windows 7 on my laptop (Windows 7 Home Premium) is crippled and does not support XP Mode. And 2), the chip in my laptop -- Intel Dual Core T6600 -- is also crippled and will not support Windows XP Mode even if I upgraded to Windows 7 Professional. (Since when is  an average user considered a "Professional" and since when is a three-year-old program considered a "Legacy" item?) For me, this is a bigger problem than just not being able to run PE3 since I have several other programs that (I now know) will run only under Windows XP. As far as I'm concerned, Windows 7 is yet another Microsoft dud with more hype than heft. I think I'm going back to XP.

George

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 3 Freezes on startup in Windows 7
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

George,

Sorry that it played out this way, but thank you for reporting.

I had similar when SP-1 was released for XP-Pro. I had many programs that were not supported under SP-1 and some were not even two years old. They were just not good for SP-1. I went about upgrading each of those "legacy" programs, and was finally able to go to SP-1, as it did fix a lot of other issues. Now, I am still using all but one of those programs and am on XP-Pro SP3 with no issues. I missed Vista completely, and probably will not go to Win7 until they have SP-1 out. By then, it will be time to upgrade most of my other software, so it'll be moot.

Going back many years, I had some very useful 3D paint programs, that I used quite often. They were from an era, where RAM was 512MB, or less, and would not run on my new workstation, which had 2GB RAM. I would get an error saying that I did not have enough RAM to run the programs. Well, the issue was that they were only coded to see up to 512MB, and not one byte more. I built a special system, fast in all ways, but one - it only had 512MB RAM, though the MoBo could handle 4GB by then. I also had to use Win ME, as nothing later would run those programs. This worked fine for some years, and recently I found newer and better replacement programs for those operations, so finally filled up that machine with 4GB RAM, XP-Pro SP3 and just chucked those older programs. Happens all too often.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 3 Freezes on startup in Windows 7
                            nealeh Level 5

clowesga2 wrote:

John had the best suggestion -- go to Windows 7 Professional and run PE3 in Windows XP Mode. Unfortunately, I can't implement that simple solution for two reasons: 1) The version of Windows 7 on my laptop (Windows 7 Home Premium) is crippled and does not support XP Mode. And 2), the chip in my laptop -- Intel Dual Core T6600 -- is also crippled and will not support Windows XP Mode

You can probably run VirtualBox, I don't think it needs the same hardware virtualization the XP Mode does. You will however need to install your own OS into it. So, if you have an XP licence and installation disk available, that could be a route to go. I use XP Mode for some Vista/W7 problem apps mainly because it is so simple - but most virtual system enthusiasts claim VirtualBox to be easier, faster and more reliable once up and running. I'm just too lazy to want to get it up and running when I have XP Mode so easily accessible.

If you go this route and get it working do let us know how easy/difficult it was.

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 3 Freezes on startup in Windows 7
                              Ana Magalhães Ferreira Level 1

I just had the same problem, using Premiere Elements 3.0.2 in Windows 7, it freezes when I try to use it, even after the updates.

Could you manage to solve this problem?

Can you help me?

Thank you.

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 3 Freezes on startup in Windows 7
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

I would start by posting all of the details of your system, what you are doing, and with what material, when it freezes. See this article for more details on the necessary info: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3513790#3513790

I would also look over this FAQ Entry, on crashes and hanging: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/792580?tstart=0

Also, remember that PrE 3's update was for Vista compatibility. With Win7, you might want to look into running the program in Compatibility Mode.

Good luck,

Hunt