8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2010 11:09 AM by the_wine_snob

General problems with CS4 - Maikkel

Maikkel Level 1

Hey !

I have been working with Cs4 for some time now, and several problems have occured to what i have not found a solution. So instead of making 5-6 different titled discussions. I made one where i could ask all of my questions ( Yes, im a very curious person )

My biggest concern with Adobe premiere Cs4 is that HD material is stuttering. (1980x1080i)

Even the original material from the camera, playback is unsmooth and generally unpleasent to view.

And i presume that is the problem for the whole program to work really slow with HD material thus making the creation really annoying and slow.

My hardware:

Core2duo e6300 1.8 @ 2.6 Ghz

2 Gb 800mhz Ram

Ati Radeon HD4870

2x 500 Gb Sata HDD-s

Camera: Sony HDR-SR10E

Video drivers cant be the problem, because some top notch games work perfectly.

I have noticed that the problems started occuring when I swapped from XP to Windows 7.

And i have updated Premiere, it smoothened up alot of problems but not the stuttering

I am using Vlc media player.

Does anyone have some bright ideas ??

I will appreciate all the help i can get

• 1. Re: General problems with CS4 - Maikkel
          Harm Millaard Level 7

All you need is a faster PC. Your machine lacks the CPU power to edit AVCHD material in a convenient way. Think i7-920+ and some extra disks.

• 2. Re: General problems with CS4 - Maikkel
            Maikkel Level 1

What do you mean with some extra disks ?

And i honestly thought that a dual core 2.6 ghz would be enough.

So swapping to quad core would make things alot better ?

How much use will Premiere make of a fast video card ?

Probobly need to get a few gb-s of ram aswell.....

• 3. Re: General problems with CS4 - Maikkel
              Harm Millaard Level 7

If you look at the results of Denis in the http://ppbm4.com benchmark, you will see that his system with a faster CPU, the E6400 overclocked to 3.1, is a pretty lousy performer at the bottom of the page and 11 times slower than the top performers. Do the test yourself, submit the results to Bill (and possibly to me too in a private mail) and you can see where your system is in comparison to others. Also notice that all the good performers have many drives often in raid configurations.

AVCHD is a beast to edit. It really requires a lot of muscle in terms of CPU, memory and disk I/O. Video is not relevant. A $ 30 video card performs about as good as a $ 3K card. With CS5 and MPE that will probably change significantly, but with CS4 the video card is irrelevant.

Your current two disks is absolute minimum requirement and is a bottleneck for a nice editing experience.

• 4. Re: General problems with CS4 - Maikkel
                Maikkel Level 1

I ran the test myself and my results should appear soon on the scoreboard. But compared to Denis I scored alot better on the first one.

Anyways, I understand now that my cpu is a major issue and I`m dealing with it.

I still dont quite understand, how will it help if I buy two more 500gb HDD-s ? Right now i have 2x500gb from WDC and i have my OS, Premiere and scratch disks on one drive. lets presume I buy a few HDD-s extra, how will I set them up ? Into Raid ? I understand that Raid is a setting that will help protect my data when a disk burns down. How will it speed it up ?  What if i install Premiere on a 7200 Disk instead of a 5400 ?

Thank´s alot Harm

Edit: Okay, new hardware is coming soon, but now, every time i start Media encoder or PremiereP The load stalls on Windows Media. Then i have to close the program and start again, and sometimes up to 4 times before the program starts.

And I still wonder on how to setup my disks for best performance.

• 5. Re: General problems with CS4 - Maikkel
                  Maikkel Level 1

UP !

Edit: Okay, new hardware is coming soon, but now, every time i start Media encoder or PremiereP The load stalls on Windows Media. Then i have to close the program and start again, and sometimes up to 4 times before the program starts.

And I still wonder on how to setup my disks for best performance.

• 6. Re: General problems with CS4 - Maikkel
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE might offer you some tips on getting the most out of your system (current and new), and will help you free up as many resources, as is possible.

For disc setup, I strongly recommend Harm's ARTICLE on that very subject.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: General problems with CS4 - Maikkel
                      Maikkel Level 1

Thank you very much, youve all been very helpful .

But, I cant seem to find The third party content update 9.0.2 Was the version I think, Or in that case, the 9.0.0 version. My program started to decline AVCHD Material for some reason now, and thats the main format i work on. I searched around and some have said that the problem could be there. So i Thought id DL-it and re-install it again.

• 8. Re: General problems with CS4 - Maikkel
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Refresh my memory. By third-party, do you mean something like Cineform Neo, or something else?

Good luck,

Hunt