18 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2010 7:00 AM by Dag Norum

Mass placements of transition and duration..possible ?

envirographics Level 1

Hi,

I have many same size jpg images to turn into a video with music to be added. Can I set the duration for the entire jpg arrangement in one swift move and how is it done ? Should they be on the timeline beforehand or is it done with them still in the bin ?

Likewise I need a transition that sees the next image appear as a centre spot and develop outwards, is there a transition for this and how do I place the transition with a duration I need of 3 secs onto all the joints between images in one swift move with that duration length ?

This video could either take minutes to make or hours if all the joints need doing one by one !

Envirographics

• 1. Re: Mass placements of transition and duration..possible ?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Some of this will depend on which version of PrPro you have. In CS4, you can Select all the stills in the Project Panel, and reset the Duration. In previous versions, the easiest way is to go to Edit>Preferences and set the Duration to what you want, then Import the stills. While there, also set the Transition Duration to suit.

I'm not that familiar with the other Transitions in PrPro, as I only use a few. Something like you describe should be there. You can set it as Default and Ctrl-D will then apply it, where ever you desire.

One can also use Import as a Sequence and set it to apply the Default Transition. I think that this is "Numbered Sequence," so you may need to rename your stills with 001 through 00X at the end of the file name. Seems that that function's name might have changed in CS4, so check me out.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Mass placements of transition and duration..possible ?
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Before placing any stills on the timeline, set the default transition duration in the preferences to 3 seconds or whatever you like. You can also set the default duration of your still there.

Once placed in the timeline select your stills by drawing a marquee around them. Select Sequence/ Apply Default Transition To Selection.

Just check that the wipe you need is selected as default transition.

• 3. Re: Mass placements of transition and duration..possible ?
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              Once placed in the timeline select your stills by drawing a marquee around them. Select Sequence/ Apply Default Transition To Selection.

Harm,

Thanks for that correction. I knew that things did not seem correct in my reply, but the mind was just not awake yet.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Mass placements of transition and duration..possible ?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

You may not have been fully awake, but you were faster than I was, even with your first cup of coffee. I must have been reminiscing about the wine I will drink tonight, when watching the Olympics.

• 5. Re: Mass placements of transition and duration..possible ?
                  envirographics Level 1

Hi and many thanks for the replies.

Sounds simple enough, hope I can follow it.

Envirographics

• 6. Re: Mass placements of transition and duration..possible ?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm,

Also, what a horrible shame about that young Dutch speed skater. Just a heartbreaker. What an athlete he is. Should have one more gold, plus an Olympic record.

Enjoy that wine!

Hunt

• 7. Re: Mass placements of transition and duration..possible ?
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

The fall of the Dutch government hasn't gotten any worthwhile attention at all (it might be caused by the fact that the majority is glad to be rid of them), all we Dutch talk about is that disastrous mistake, but hopefully today he and his team will get their revenge in the team pursuit. Maybe we can keep the name of the Olympics 2010 city as "Svencouver".

Personally, I was extremely impressed by his reactions after the race, of course anger, disappointment, frustration but within a couple of hours he was without any bitter words about his coach, who steered him the wrong way and caused this to happen, focussed on his next race. That for a 23 year old athlete, who just saw all his hopes completely destroyed, that he worked for all the past years and who had not been defeated in the past 25 races on this distance, on the brink of getting his next gold medal with an Olympic record. That is commendable.

• 8. Re: Mass placements of transition and duration..possible ?
                        envirographics Level 1

Harm Millaard wrote:

Just check that the wipe you need is selected as default transition.

Hi,

I am CS3, I have marqueed the stills but see nothing under Sequence from the top menu where I can choose Apply Default Transition to Selection.

Apply Video Transition is all there is and that applies the default transition to just one junction.

Help !

Can I also sneak in another question, created in Photoshop as monitor images, 1366 x 768 px which is the native resolution of the clients HD Ready 16:9 ratio TV, do I have to do anything else to these for them to display on the TV in terms of pixel shape ?..and if so what ? PAL (UK) system by the way

Envirographics

• 9. Re: Mass placements of transition and duration..possible ?
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

I was talking CS4. Sorry. You may have to look in the help file or manual for CS3 to achieve the same. In terms of delivery, just go for BRD, so 1920 x 1080 and let his TV handle the conversion, that is why it is called HD READY.

• 10. Re: Mass placements of transition and duration..possible ?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Prior to CS4, one had to re-Import the stills with the new Duration (Edit>Preferences>General), to get the new Durations. CS4 offered up a clean, easy fix, but before then, it was Delete, and re-Import after the change.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Mass placements of transition and duration..possible ?
                              envirographics Level 1

just go for BRD, so 1920 x 1080 and let his TV handle the conversion, that is why it is called HD READY.

Hi,

Harm...I find that the presentation to screen of images larger than the screen is capable of displaying, i.e. wasted pixels, sees a slower draw time on screen for no added benefit, in fact tests show a more stable picture if the TV doesnt need to cram a larger image into its screen than it is capable of showing.

Not sure what BRD is by the way.

Prior to CS4, one had to re-Import the stills with the new Duration (Edit>Preferences>General), to get the new Durations. CS4 offered up a clean, easy fix, but before then, it was Delete, and re-Import after the change.

Good luck,

Hunt

Bill.,

Harm

Its the ability to put the same transition onto every picture junction I am struggling with, there being no menu option to do so it seems.

How is this done in CS3 ?

Envirographics

• 12. Re: Mass placements of transition and duration..possible ?
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Set-top boxes and TV's are much better equipped to convert incoming signals to the proper diemensions than PR. Did you consider what happens when your client gets a new TV next week that is full HD? Are you going to make a new BR disk for him? What if he wants to play your product on a SD TV, are you going to make a new disk for him?

KISS, so BRD.

• 13. Re: Mass placements of transition and duration..possible ?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm,

You point up a real problem for the videographer - what sort of gear will the resulting disc be played on? How will it be set up, and calibrated?

With stills, one does have some issues with the light, that the viewer might be using, but that is about the end of it. Video - real can-o-worms!

Reminds me of the poster some years ago, who wanted to do separate audio-mixes on separate discs - one for those with TV speakers and one for those with home theater setups. At least in that case, one could do two audio-tracks on a DVD/BD, with a Menu to choose the version that the user wanted, rather like having DTS, ProLogic, etc., as a supplemental audio stream.

I suppose that if the Duration was not too long, one could do a BD with two video streams, with a Menu to switch. Maybe test footage, with a Title, "If this looks bad on your TV/player, then try the other stream... "

Hunt

• 14. Re: Mass placements of transition and duration..possible ?
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Bill,

That is why I said KISS, Keep It Stupidly Simple. If the videographer only delivers on BRD or DVD he has done the job. If the client decides to change his player or TV, that is his problem and everybody is entitled to his own problems. Isn't that in the Constitution? If the client decides to use HD Ready instead of Full HD, that is his choice and his problem. Luckily the TV can compensate for that choice using intrinsic correction schemes. I see no reason for the videographer to adjust his workflow to compensate for all the actions of his clients. If the client rents a BR movie at a local mall, it will be in full HD resolution and his player/TV needs to correct the image if his TV is only HD-Ready. Can he complain in Hollywood that his TV is not Ready for Full HD? I think not, because he chose his TV on purpose and has to live with the consequences of his choice. Just his bad luck. I think it is not wise to correct clients mistakes unless they are fully paid, There are two common delivery formats, DVD and BR and that is it. The client has to live with that.

• 15. Re: Mass placements of transition and duration..possible ?
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Oh THAT Kiss. I thought that you were thinking of a now retro-rock band with a lot of makeup, or making overtures...

I do agree. Deliver the best, and the user is then on their own. It would be like Mercedes adding a governor to cars sold to people, who have many moving violations on their licenses. No. They sell the same car to everyone in each country, and the user is obligated to drive it appropriately.

Hunt

• 16. Re: Mass placements of transition and duration..possible ?
                                        envirographics Level 1

Good luck,

Hunt

Bill.,

Harm

Noted ref  ' if client gets a HD TV ', the clients have only just all bought HD Ready TV's, and I had noted on a Photo forum that pics show best if at the native resolution of the clients TV, that may be though sending them up the cable from a PC using TV as a monitor,  but as you say this is not future proof. I shall let the client decide on this.

I NEED TO RE-EMPHASISE THE QUESTION BELOW THAT IS BEING OVERLOOKED HERE AMIDST THE CONVERSATIONS.

Its the ability to put the same transition onto every picture junction I am struggling with, there being no menu option to do so it seems.

Can some one please let me know how its done in CS3 ?

Cheers

Envirographics

• 17. Re: Mass placements of transition and duration..possible ?
                                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Start at the beginning of the timeline and repeat this as often as you need:

PgDn+Ctrl-D.

• 18. Re: Mass placements of transition and duration..possible ?
                                            Dag Norum Level 2

Before bringing your images to the timeline (sequence), select (highlight) all the images in the project bin, then click on "Project" and select "automate to Sequence". I'll think that will show you a way.

Dag