1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 26, 2010 9:19 AM by andrewthorp

Date.now

andrewthorp Level 1

Our system has an ordering feature, where the user can schedule what time his order is to be processed.

We were using Date.now, but we have had a couple customers who have their system clocks off by a month or more, so this is causing problems.

Instead, we have decided to use EST for all orders, and use our clock to schedule their orders when they place them. To ensure that they will go out at the correct time.

All I know how to do is Date.now, and the Date.UTC functions are confusing me (it seems as if I have to pass in a date and it will convert it to UTC).

How do I get the current time, not dependent on the users system, in UTC (or even better, in EST)?

• 1. Re: Date.now
          JeffryHouser Level 4

If you want to be techincal, I'm pretty sure every application in existence uses the computer's clock for time based elements.  PErhaps there is a web service out there or something, but I've never researched.

If your users have incorrectoly set times on their computers, you're best bet is going to be to ping your server and use that for the time.