5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2010 11:13 AM by Wade_Zimmerman

Embedded virus in Illustrator file

alecchin

Hi,

Wondered if anyone could help with a problem I have.

My friend is using Illustrator on a Mac and when he sends the files to a person using a PC the person tells him the files keep coming up as having a virus. The guy on the PC works for a large company and there IT department has looked at his system and has said its not a fault with the PC and must be the Mac side. Has anyone heard of virus's being embedded into Illustrator files as I haven't. I've been told by the Mac users IT that they've worked out its illustrator causing the problem but I can't suggest a solution other then reinstalling. Anyone got any other suggestions that aren't so drastic?

Thanks

Alec

• 1. Re: Embedded virus in Illustrator file
          Scott Falkner Level 5

alecchin wrote:

Hi,

Wondered if anyone could help with a problem I have.

My friend is using Illustrator on a Mac and when he sends the files to a person using a PC the person tells him the files keep coming up as having a virus.

Alec

I very much doubt that. Get some more data. Ask for a screen grab of the message warning of the virus, or at least a transcript of it. What is the virus? I have never heard of a virus attached to an Illustrator file. Mac OSX currently has no viruses and, even if it did, they would be Mac viruses and would not affect Windows. For an Illustrator file on a Mac to be infected with a Windows virus would require three things to happen all at once that have never happened on their own.

• 2. Re: Embedded virus in Illustrator file
            alecchin Level 1

Thanks Scott, I'll try and find some more information out. I also thought this sounded impossible. I've searched around and couldn't find anyone having this problem before. There was mention in another adobe forum about javascripts causing some malicious activity through some other adobe apps and there answer was to turn off javascripting on those apps but I don't think this could be the problem. Is there anyway the file could be infected when its transfered? I'm not sure whether he's emailing the files but possibly this is where it's getting infected???

Alec

• 3. Re: Embedded virus in Illustrator file
              Kurt Gold Adobe Community Professional

It may or may not have to do something with this:

Illustrator vulnerabilities

• 4. Re: Embedded virus in Illustrator file
                alecchin Level 1

Thanks Kurt. I'll see if that helps him.

Alec

• 5. Re: Embedded virus in Illustrator file
                  Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Yes that will probably help but it is not wise to send ai files via e-mail unless they are archived (zipped or stuffed).

Files sent unprotected via e-mail can easily get corrupted especially if they go through security screening.