12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2010 3:24 PM by shooternz

Time remapping and position

bigvortex1

I am working on a sports video in Premiere Pro CS3.  The video requires me to move the position quite often to keep the action in the center of the frame.  That has been working fine.  I can click on the video in the preview section and move it to where I need it and a key frame is created automatically.  Right now I am trying to add  slow motion to part of the video.  When I do that all the key frames stay in the original position and they do not adjust to the new time mapping.  When I click to add a new key frame it does not go where the time line marker (the red line that shows where you are in the time line) is.  It goes before the line.  What am I missing here?  I have tried to find information about the 2 effects but have only found information on one or the other, not using both at the same time and how one effects the other.

• 1. Re: Time remapping and position
          Wil Renczes Adobe Employee

I'm a little fuzzy with your description of what you're trying to do.  It sounds first of all like you're trying to combine using the time warp filter

and the time remapping feature, which is not a good idea - it's bound to lead to confusion.  You're better off using one or the other, but not both simultaneously.  (That, or are you talking about speed change and time remapping?)

For simplicity, I would stick to the time remapping feature by itself - it should give you all the control you need.  There's a few online tutorials that explain how to use it - here's one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exzQPNP1IQY

If you're still stuck, a screenshot will probably help explain what you're seeing.

Cheers

• 2. Re: Time remapping and position
            bigvortex1 Level 1

screen.gif

Here is a screen shot of what I am trying to do.  I am only using time remapping.  I want on section of the video in slow motion.  If I set up all the position keyframes and zoom keyframes for the play and then add the time remapping all the position and zoom keyframes are no longer in the right frames.  They don't automatically adjust.

But if I add the time remapping first then it seems like the keyframes I add for the positioning still map to the wrong spot in the video.

• 3. Re: Time remapping and position
              shooternz Level 6

Try doing your postioning first and export it as an intermediate.

Then work with that for Time remapping

• 4. Re: Time remapping and position
                Wil Renczes Adobe Employee

Ah.  Okay, first of all, the Effects Controls window isn't the optimal place for time remapping.  This feature was really designed to be used directly in the timeline track.  The controls over keyframes are much better there. Again, check out that tutorial for the ins & outs of using time remapping on the timeline.

But yeah, I think I get what you're saying.  The problem is that time remapping can compress or extend segments of your clip, so if you're trying to keyframe motion changes, it's better to apply the time changes first, then create the motion keyframes to match.    The reason being, if you were to apply a slow mo of 50 %, the app tries to keep all the keyframes relatively in the same location, but that concept falls apart when you want to do more explicit time transforms & you really want it to lock KFs to specific frame times...

• 5. Re: Time remapping and position
                  bigvortex1 Level 1

I have tried to do the time remapping first and then do the positioning but things get really strange then.  I will set the time indicator at the spot I want the key frame and the key frame will be placed well before the time indicator.  I was very frustrating.  This can't be an uncommon thing to do so I would think Premier would handle it much better.

• 6. Re: Time remapping and position
                    bigvortex1 Level 1

So you want me to open that segment by itself in Premier, set the positioning that I want and then export it into some none Adobe format and then import it into my project that I am using it in?  That is definently a solution but I would hope Premier has a better way of handling the process.

• 7. Re: Time remapping and position
                      shooternz Level 6

What you are asking the program to do is kind of tricky.

You are setting keyframes for positioning ...then you are remapping the time frame for them to work in.  Its a big ask. Like moving the goalposts as the kick is being taken.

Not sure what you mean  "non adobe" format.  If you make an intermediate you use the same format you are using ( which is what  BTW ?).

I always use uncompressed avi or mov.

Intermediates are a totally valid and professional workflow. They avoid overloading the sequence with processing , they are reuseable and editable, they minimise layers and effects and they work in tricky situations.  They are the equivalent of an audio track mix-down.

• 8. Re: Time remapping and position
                        bigvortex1 Level 1

What I meant by non-adobe formate was the moving the project from a .prproj to a format such as .mov, .avi, etc.  Once I have done that I lose editing capability that was in the project file (key frames, individual clips).  I am new to Premier and video editing.  This is the first I heard of exporting and intermediate. Where is a good place to learn more about that?  When I have exported the previous video I did it was in a compressed format, mpeg2. I did not do any intermediate exports, just the final one.

• 9. Re: Time remapping and position
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

R & W

Read and Watch. Read the manual, Help file and books on video editing and watch tutorials, like Lynda or Total Training. Get some proper education in video editing and study, study and study again. Maybe start with a more consumer friendly application like PE or WMM to begin with. And learn the terminology of video editing if you ask questions, that you want others to understand. Have a look here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/498251?tstart=0

• 10. Re: Time remapping and position
                            bigvortex1 Level 1

So my statement "Where is a good place to learn more about that?" implies to you that I am not reading and watching videos?  That was the first thing I did.  I watched the video that was mentioned here and watched many others.  I read Adobe's manual on time remapping.  I searched this forum to find an answer.  Then I posted my question.  Nothing is worse than getting on a forum and posting a valid question only to get an RTFM reply.  I understand that some people do not perform the due diligence to find an answer but I see too often people waiting to pounce on anybody they can to give them the RTFM reply.  This is my second video I have done and I have done just fine with this non- "consumer friendly application" thank you. You want to guess how I have figured it out? It wasn't by posting questions here.  My question did not seem to be a trivial one implying I had no aptitude to handle this level of application.  You can fault me for not having all the terminology down but that is part of the learning process that with helpful replies can be easily remedied.  I will look at the link you gave me on the terminilogy.

• 11. Re: Time remapping and position
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

So my statement "Where is a good place to learn more about that?" implies to you that I am not reading and watching videos?

If you did read and watch, and I never implied you did not, at least you made it difficult for yourself and others to understand your questions by not picking up the proper terminology. I gave you the names of two renowned training institutions to help you, I gave you a link to learn the proper terminology, so it would be difficult to say I did not try to help you, but you have to realize that your questions and terms were something like the following question:

When I grab my bike and go to the gasstation and after filling up my tank, the car no longer starts and these black things don't move.

This is a typical example of male chauvinistic pigs assuming this is a woman asking this question, who does not understand cars and that the bike is irrelevant here and that the black things are commonly called tires.

These questions are a bit hard to understand and you do yourself and others a favor by expressing yourself better. The only way to do that is by learning NLE talk.

• 12. Re: Time remapping and position
                                shooternz Level 6
                                What I meant by non-adobe formate was the moving the project from a .prproj to a format such as .mov, .avi, etc.  Once I have done that I lose editing capability that was in the project file (key frames, individual clips).  I am new to Premier and video editing.  This is the first I heard of exporting and intermediate. Where is a good place to learn more about that?  When I have exported the previous video I did it was in a compressed format, mpeg2. I did not do any intermediate exports, just the final one.

Here is the idea behind an INTERMEDIATE.  YOu kind of had it wrong how it works.

You edit to a certain stage in your PPRO Project..  In your case you would export only the clip that you are trying to apply the 2 effects to by exporting that range ( IN OUT work area bar)

You export that clip with one of the effects , uncompressed to avoid generation and compression loss..A mov in your case to match the clip and the timeline you are working with.

You simply reimport that clip back into the same project you started with and replace the section where it came form.  You would then apply the next effect.

Sometimes NLE editing is a bit of a juggle and management of the assetts and the sequences.