I've edited a file for a client that was originally created in Adobe Illustrator and added phone numbers and URLs to each coupon. When I open the PDF of the coupons and click on any of the links on the second row of Page 2 with florists, the "fl" in florist in each URL is converted to "%CB%9C". I realize these are encoded characters, but they are the wrong ones and the links don't open up correctly as a result. All other links in all 3 pages of coupons open up correctly except for these three....HELP!!
Try turning off Standard Ligatures in the Opentype panel. I don’t usually use Illustrator to make PDFs with URLs, but I think what’s happening is Acrobat is just reading the text as a URL and assuming it is a link. I don’t think you can make a URL link from selected text in Illustrator. Really. Fracking ridiculous.
You can open the PDF in Acrobat Pro and add he links there, without worrying about the actual text on the screen.
Go back to your AI file and disable ligatures in the text. It sounds like you have then enabled and they are causing your problem.
Thank you both...that worked! I would have *never* figured that out on my own without your help!!