8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2010 9:25 AM by Frustrated in North Bay

Files won't open

Cohek

I was working with an illustrator file this morning. When I closed the file and then tried to reopen later, it wouldn't open. I don't get a message—nothing happens at all when I click the "open" button. I thought something must be wrong with that file only, but when I went to open a different file, the same thing happened. I need to work on a bunch of Illustrator files, but I am afraid of making them un-openable as well. I trashed the preferences already. Does anyone have a suggestion?

• 1. Re: Files won't open
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Operating system? Version of Illustrator? To what location were the files saved?

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Files won't open
            vttoltal Level 2

Hi.

I am really sorry that you are having issues with Illustrator. Are you using Windows?

If you are there are tow things you must check

1) Open up the task manager by pressing Control+Alt+Delete and see if illustrator is currently being used as part of the "processes"  section. If it is present, click "End Process."  Try to re-open the file again and see if it works.

2) If Illustrator does not show up in the Task Manager window then you must check for program default properties by right clicking on any Illustrator Document and selecting "Properties." Check if there is any other default program selected for AI files.

Hopefully this will solve your problem based on what you wrote.

If the problem still happens another easy fix(but tedious) will be opening Illustrator and dragging the file on the program everytime you want to open it.

Let me know how it goes.

Vicente Tulliano

• 3. Re: Files won't open
              Frustrated in North Bay

I am having the same problem.  Everything was fine until yesterday when I tried to open Illustrator.  It opened without any problem but as soon as I tried to open a file everything greyed out and it just sits there doing nothing.  I have to use the task manager to close it.

I tried vttoltal's suggestions but the same thing happened.  I can't use save or any other button - everything just greys out and it is Control+Alt+Delete to close it down.

I am using Windows, CS2 and the files are saved on my hard drive.  I am not having any problem with InDesign, Photoshop or Bridge, just Illustrator.  If anyone can help it will be greatly appreciated.

• 4. Re: Files won't open
                Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sounds like you have a dialog which opens off the screen. Look over on the InDesign forum for some hints on how to get it back. One would be to increase the resolution of your screen and see if it doesn't show up. Another is to hit the Escape key.

• 5. Re: Files won't open
                  Harron K. Appleman Level 4

Another, in Windows, is to hit Alt+Spacebar during the time you think the offscreen dialog is occurring. Select 'Move' from the menu, then use your arrow keys to bring the dialog box back into view.

• 6. Re: Files won't open
                    Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Thanks, Harron. I'm on a Mac and couldn't remember the specific Windows commands.

• 7. Re: Files won't open
                      Harron K. Appleman Level 4

Good call on the offscreen dialog box, Larry. I'd bet that's the problem.

• 8. Re: Files won't open
                        Frustrated in North Bay Level 1

Thank you both gentlemen, that worked perfectly.

No longer frustrated.

Regards,

Catherine