3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2007 2:03 PM by Newsgroup_User

Director + sequencextra apps on Windows Vista

tim_koozin
      Is there a fix for Director apps (MX 2004) that run fine on some versions of Vista but not others? This app uses SequenceXtra for MIDI sound. The projectors run fine on other Win and Mac systems, but the Win projector will not open with Vista Home. Here is what happens:

Home Basic ---- Error. Projector app will not open.
      Home Premium - Error. Projector app will not open.
      Business ------ Good. SequenceXtra midi audio works great.
      Enterprise ----- Good. SequenceXtra midi audio works great.
      Ultimate ------ App won't open in normal mode, but works fine by changing "compatibility settings" (a real pain, by the way)

Can anyone explain why my app is fine on Business/Enterprise but not Home? Changing compatibility settings fixes it on Ultimate, but not on Home. Why?

Will there be a Director upgrade that solves the issue?

Thanks in advance for any help.
        • 1. Re: Director + sequencextra apps on Windows Vista
          Level 7
          How does the sequenceXtra enter into all this? Is it part of the
          problem? It appears that whenever the program itself opens, then the
          sequenceXtra works as well, which would lead me to believe that the
          problem is with the projector, not the xtra.

Anyway, is there anything else different about the OSes? I mean, is it
          possible that when you tested it on Business and Enterprise that you had
          admin access and the other ones (that did not work) were restricted user
          accounts? The security for different users is one of the biggest
          differences between XP and Vista, and is responsible for most of the
          applications not working.

Is there any difference in the hardware? For example, do the ones that
          work have different sound cards that may conflict with the xtra or some
          function of the projector?
          • 2. Re: Director + sequencextra apps on Windows Vista
            tim_koozin Level 1
            Thank you! You were correct that the problem is in the Vista security.

I tried my disk on a Vista machine with admin settings and everything worked. I believe the reason is that SequenceXtra creates a temp file and the default Vista security prohibits the file.

I haven't yet determined exactly what security bells and whistles need to be turned off on Vista to enable the temp file. It will be a bit of a drag if it only works with admin access, since some users may not be able to do that.
            • 3. Re: Director + sequencextra apps on Windows Vista
              Level 7
              You might try embedding a manifest file into Projec32.skl prior to
              creating your projector. Details at:
              < http://www.mods.com.au/budapi/vista.htm>