15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2010 3:13 PM by PlushKat

Desperate for help with chapter points

PlushKat

We video our sermons at church and then edit it to DVD to many places.  I need to put a chapter point every five minutes in the sermon but everytime I can't seem to find out how to do it.  I do NOT want a scene selection menu, I just want to put in chapter points that someone can jump ahead in the sermon with their remotes.  How can I put in chapter points and not get a scene selection menu?

• 1. Re: Desperate for help with chapter points
          nealeh Level 5

Go to the Disc Menus tab, then right click in the Disc Layout window and choose Auto-Generate Menu Markers. In the subsequent dialogue choose every five minutes.

menu.png

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Desperate for help with chapter points
            PlushKat Level 1

Thanks, but I did that and got the scene selection menu, which I do not want.  Also, I need

to be able to control exactly where the chapter point goes.  I put one in every five minutes or so but it has to be between

sentences, not in the middle of a word which happens when you auto generate these markers.

• 3. Re: Desperate for help with chapter points
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately for the outline of your Projects, PrE does much of the navigation of a DVD semi-automatically. That means that you WILL have a Scene Selection Menu from the chosen Menu Set. To get what you want and need, you will have to look to another program, like Sony's DVD Architect. One has more control, and less is semi-automatic, like in the limited authoring function in PrE. Now, for most users, the Menu Sets makes things easy, but when one wants to "think outside the box," they have to go elsewhere.

Adobe's full-featured authoring program, Encore, can do this easily, as all navigation is done manually, to suit. Unfortunately, it is only available bundled with Adobe PrPro CS4.2 now.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but PrE is limited - no First Play, prior to the Main Menu, no navigation w/ Chapter Points, with no Scene Selection Menus, and many more. I only wish that Encore was still a stand-alone, as I could make a wonderful case for your purchase. It's great, but one now must spend big, big $'s, just to get it, along with PrPro.

Sorry,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Desperate for help with chapter points
                PlushKat Level 1

Thank you so very much.  I've been trying to get this answer for two weeks now and you are the first to give me what I needed to know.

Nancy

• 5. Re: Desperate for help with chapter points
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Nancy,

I am just so sorry that the answer is not one that will directly help you in your Project, with PrE. The authoring function is rather rudimentary (exactly like the similar function was, in pure PrPro 2.0, without Encore in the mix). For most users, it's perfect. For many more, it works OK. Still, there are some, who wish to do something more, and something that is within the full DVD-specs. For those, the authoring function is horribly limited.

Like I said above, if Encore was still a stand-alone, I'd come and talk to whomever signs the checks, and convince them that this would be a worthwhile purchase. Since the Adobe CS3 suite, I have asked Adobe to rethink Encore as a bundled program - only. Now, their marketing folk are much smarter, than I am, so I can understand why they might not take my suggestions. Still, I make them.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - if you decide to go with the Sony DVD Architect program (gets good reviews), I strongly recommend two things, both found at the same site: Steve Grisetti's Sony DVD Architect tutorials, and also his book on that program. They are found at Muvipix.

• 6. Re: Desperate for help with chapter points
                    PlushKat Level 1

We've been using Premiere Pro 2.0 and DVD Encore to edit our sermon video for years and I got used to being able to do things in it.  Unfortunately we just got a new computer and the minister was talked into getting Elements 8.  I can do 99% of what I was doing but he has decided that rather than going back to Pro, we will do without the chapter points.

Again, I thank you so very much for the information.  I was getting very frustrated that no one seemed to be able to give me the answer I needed.

Have a blessed day,

Nancy 

• 7. Re: Desperate for help with chapter points
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Nancy,

Even though PrPro and EncoreDVD 2.0 are old, it would take an edict from the Pope, or whomever, to get me to give those up, especially Encore.

I have yet to upgrade my CS2 Production Studio, PrPro, EncoreDVD, AE and PS. They all just flat work for me for my SD Projects. I will probably go to CS5, with both a new workstation and also several HD cameras, but until then, CS2 does it perfectly for me. I would not give up EncoreDVD 2.0, even if you offered me the full version of Sonic Scenarist at US$150,000, unless I could turn around and sell it on eBay.

Good luck, and hope that you can live with that semi-automatic authoring aspect of PrE. It's a good program, but too limiting for me. I mainly use it as a conversion program, and do 100% of my authoring in Encore.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Desperate for help with chapter points
                        nealeh Level 5

You need to ensure that you have selected Autoplay. You will only see a selection menu if you selected a layout.

If you see anything other than 'To add menu drag Template here' in the Disc Layout window you have selected a layout. This will automatically create scene menus. To remove this click the Auto-Play button.

Originally you asked for chapters every five minutes (hence my advice). But if you want to control their placement then you can add them in Timeline view wherever you wish. I usually add them by right-clicking (see image). But you can also add them by clicking Add Menu Marker at the far right of the 'My Project' window.

menu2.png

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale

• 9. Re: Desperate for help with chapter points
                          nealeh Level 5

PlushKat wrote:

I put one in every five minutes or so but it has to be between sentences, not in the middle of a word which happens when you auto generate these markers.

Once you have a chapter marker on the timeline (actually described in PRE as a 'Scene Marker'), you can click and drag it elsewhere.

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale

• 10. Re: Desperate for help with chapter points
                            PlushKat Level 1

Bill, I appreciate all the help you are giving me, which has allowed me to complete my video of our church service yesterday and burn it to a DVD.  I now have run into one more problem and am hoping you will be able to help with that. 

I want to export the Audio portion only.  I knew how to do it in Premier Pro but obviously it isn't the same.  I got two books to help me learn Elements 8 (The Missing Manual - the book that should have been in the box AND Premiere Elements 8 for Dummies).

There is nothing in The Missing Manual about exporting audio.  However, in the Dummies book there is a section on exporting audio.  I can get half way through Step 1 and then my instructions do not match.  It says to click the Share tab on the Task Pane and then click Personal Computer at which time an Export Audio dialog box appears.  That's where the instructions lose me because no "Export Audio dialog box" appears.

Can you possibly help me with what I need to do to get the audio only portion of my video exported so we can put that on our church's web site?

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Nancy

• 11. Re: Desperate for help with chapter points
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Nancy,

I assume that you have PrE 8, hence the references to those books. Things have changed between my PrE 4 and PrE 8, but let me see if I can help. You might have to interpolate a little, and tell me where PrE 8 differs from what I instruct you to do.

In the Share Tab, choose the Personal Computer, and then MPEG. Look for an Advanced button and click that. You should get to the Export Settings dialog box. There, you will have checkboxes for Export Video and Export Audio. Uncheck Export Video, but leave Export Audio checked.

Look down the dialog box, and choose the Audio Tab. For Audio Format, click the drop-down arrow, and choose PCM, and you should see Sample Size = 16-bit and Frequency = 48KHz. Now, hit the Multiplexer Tab and make sure that None is chosen. That should yield a PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit Audio file. Name and locate that, per your needs and a WAV w/ those settings, should be Exported/Shared.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Desperate for help with chapter points
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a look at the various dialog boxes from PrE 4. They should be very similar with PrE 8.

Share_Audio_Only_01.jpg

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

PS - note that I am depicting different Tabs, which will not display this way, but in the same dialog box Panel. This is for an example only.

• 13. Re: Desperate for help with chapter points
                                  PlushKat Level 1

You have no idea what a lifesaver you are.  I am so thankful you have provided me with the answers I need.  Now if I can just get this program to quit crashing multiple times I can die a happy woman.

Thank you,

Nancy

• 14. Re: Desperate for help with chapter points
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Nancy,

Glad that the PrE 4 version was not too different. As I know that there were some changes, and a few significant, I always hesitate to post PrE 4 screen-caps, when one is talking PrE 8.

As for the crashes, you might find some of the tips in this ARTICLE useful. I use them for any and all NLE, or authoring sessions.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - there are also some great articles in the FAQ section on optimizing one's computer, their OS and also PrE 8. You can access that sub-forum from the right-hand side of the main forum page.