5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2010 1:38 PM by Chris Cox

support for n-channel icc-profiles

c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

I have recently attended a symposium where some speakers touched on Photoshop’s (or the whole CS’) lack of support for n-channel ICC-profiles.

And (while I have to admit that the ramifications may be beyond my comprehension) the point seems very much valid.

I suspect this issue might also concern the matter of the Spot Channels-and-Layers-situation that has come up in this Forum repeatedly and changing the current situation may well fall in the neighbourhood of Programming and Nightmare.

Moreover the question of who should or could provide those profiles in any quality regarding the overprint behaviour of the tints (and their possible combinations) would appear daunting.

Still, even a simplyfied physical model may be an impovement to the recent situation.

Plus, as the speakers pointed out, anything above a 7-channel profile is hardly realistic, anyway.

In all probablity Adobe is already aware of the matter through its contacts with/in ICC, FOGRA and other bodies concerned with printing-matters (and their representative at said symposium).

Nonetheless I would like to voice my support for the demand to see n-channel ICC-profile-support in Photoshop.

Edit: This might be especially beneficial with flexo-printing in CMYKOGB (CMYK + orange + green + blue) – I don’t have enough experience with flexo to judge this with any statistical relevance, but it seems to be fairly popular.

• 1. Re: support for n-channel icc-profiles
          Level 7

Photoshop CS4 supports separations using N-channel ICC profiles up to 8 channels.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: support for n-channel icc-profiles
            c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Then I may have misunderstood something.

And little wonder, because quite frankly some of the stuff at the FOGRA-symposia may well go over my head.

As I don’t have any such profiles myself I can’t test the feature, so allow me to ask a follow-up-question:

How does this relate to Layers – can one work on (up to) 8-channel Layers and would this include Adjustment Layers-capabilities and did I just miss this?

(And if not is such a feature likely to be included at some point in time in Photoshop?)

• 3. Re: support for n-channel icc-profiles
              Level 7

We don't support N-channel layers.

The support we need for N-channel preview and interaction is still not ready for prime time (internal code and external profile wise).

Also, changing to support an arbitrary number of channels of color data will require a huge number of changes to the application to make even common features work -- something we're not likely to undertake without a demonstrated real-world benefit.  (and frankly, I can name only 30 people worldwide who really need to work in multichannel/multispectral mode at this time).

We just support separating documents using N-channel profiles (by far the most common use).

• 4. Re: support for n-channel icc-profiles
                c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Thanks for Your answers.

changing to support an arbitrary number of channels of color data will require a huge number of changes to the application to make even common features work

Understandably.

But it would seem that this may be a solution to certain dissatisfactions with the Spot Channels’ behaviour that have come up in this Forum, too.

Well, not a straightforward solution, I guess, as one may not want to separate an image using the additional Channels but keep that in CMY(K) and only use the Spots for graphic elements etc. … and if Photoshop were to provide seven-Channels-Layers I suspect it wouldn’t be long until someone asks for eight.

The packaging-industry’s needs don’t seem to be met by the CS currently, but the cost-benefit-considerations are certainly valid.

• 5. Re: support for n-channel icc-profiles
                  Level 7

It might be A solution, but how much work is it to support the needs of relatively few people?

The Packaging industry mostly needs separations and some spot touch up -- which can be done in Photoshop CS4.

If the packaging industry would explain their needs (not wants), we'll see what else we can do.

But yes, there are huge cost-benefit tradeoffs.