4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2010 4:05 AM by howardmil18

Hope is on the horizon~elements 8 crashes

howardmil18 Level 1

Well either through chance or a system configuration change, I HAVE NOT HAD A CRASH IN 2 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! . I am far from a

pc tech expert, but I read alot and came across an article on "Speeding up computer' . 6 subjects were covered; 2 of which I applied.

Since then, NO CRASHES! Now whether this is coincidence or not,,,I don't care. I lost the google article,,but I remember these things I

did which may have influenced the writing of this letter. I first changed the setting on my windows 7 to RECOMENDED amount of RAM vs.

what was put on my system by default . This was on system preferences. The most important, again I do not remember what or where I went

to, (comp experts may understand and get the drift) but I CHANGED a setting on my system set at 0  to  400. Darn, I could not relocate the

article, but THIS so far,,,,,,,,,is letting Adobe 8 do what Adobe 7 elements did. It was simple enough though I probably sound dumb not knowing

exactly or remembering WHAT this SYSTEM number custome setting WAS???? If any experts know,,,I want to try to remember,,,. Not only

that , it made my 2 hardrive 6gb ram system work better and a bit faster,,,,INDEED.  All I know is,,,,(hope I don't put the jinx on myself) Premeiere

Elements 8 SO FAR in 2 DAYS,,,,has not crashed and is saving better and doing everything ELEMENTS 7 did and maybe a bit better in terms

of some easier and nicer features than elements 7. RESPONSES TO THIS ARE ENCOURAGED

Thanks Howard

• 1. Re: Hope is on the horizon~elements 8 crashes
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

So are you saying that all you did was configure Windows to give Premiere Elements 8 more RAM space -- similarly to the recommendation in the FAQs to the right of this forum?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/446316?tstart=0

It's hard to say exactly what will and won't work, since you are using this program on Windwows 7 64-bit, an operating system whose drivers are not yet fully 32-bit compatible.

• 2. Re: Hope is on the horizon~elements 8 crashes
            howardmil18 Level 1

The most important thing I did was to adjust a feature on my system (I will look for the article) which was an advanced

setting perference for windows. It was defaulted at 0 and they said change it to 400. Now its coming back;;;; it was something to do with

how long windows stores information for loading the system. As far as the RAM, my system  has 6gb (or a number of mb) showing

on the profile setting. It said recomended setting to be like 2650 mb. (a certain amount naturally wasnt being used) I changed the

number to that higher setting allowed within the amount of RAM the system has,,,,(evidently my windows 7 setting was set as less)

and that also might have done the trick. So for whatever this advanced preference was on memory,,it was set at a WINDOWS default

which was less than was available. What is important is that I DO nOT remember what this system preference was. but I will try to google

the article again and get back

Howard

• 3. Re: Hope is on the horizon~elements 8 crashes
              nealeh Level 5

Was it this?

mem.png

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: Hope is on the horizon~elements 8 crashes
                howardmil18 Level 1

Thats what did it~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~!!!!!   INSANE? WELL PREMIERE 8 HAS

NOT CRASHED ANYMORE AND

MY COMP IS A TAD FASTER.........................EVERYONE TAKE NEALE'S

POSTING AND DO WHAT SHE HAS OUTLINED..................

SEE WHAT HAPPENS!!!

howard