9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2010 5:28 PM by the_wine_snob

New to PRE8 and not happy

morgandj Level 1

I have just added PRE8 to my win 7 x64 computer, already I have had to upgrade the video driver but my main problem is that when I exit the program it still runs in the background using CPU (50%) and as a consequence can't be re-started unless I close it using task manager.

I have not had crashes yet! well had 1 that's why I ugraded the driver I even tried to replace the dll's as advised but I get an error stating the media player, honestly I have PSCS4 and PSE and have none of these issues, is the program built by the same people?

Any advice would be appreciated

David

• 1. Re: New to PRE8 and not happy
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Have you gone to the Help menu and selected Check for Updates and installed the new patch?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: New to PRE8 and not happy
            morgandj Level 1

Well here's the thing! my version is shown as 8 (9/29/2009) running the updater gives me no updates available, I'm about to re-install as I tried a trial first and maybe something is left over from that.

Reading throught the forum however leads me to belive that those problems related to the application not starting might not be video driver related unless the video driver is not releasing the program.

When it runs in the background it runs my dual core cpu's at about 50%

David

• 3. Re: New to PRE8 and not happy
              the_wine_snob Level 9

David,

The updating of the video driver is normal. An NLE (Non Linear Editor) interfaces much more closely with the video, and audio, driver, than almost any other program. A simple OS update, or hot-fix, can render both the video and audio driver obsolete in a heart-beat. I'd also get the latest audio driver, while at it.

Until you get the update for PrE 8, this FAQ Entry will be useful for stopping the Processes, that continue, when the program is shut down.

Any day now, the downloadabe update will be posted to the Adobe site. It takes a couple of days to get it up, and it is normal to have it available via the auto-updater a few days early. Chad (Adobe employee) did not have a specific "done by date," but did state that it would be ready very soon.

Though you have a new computer (actually maybe because you DO have a new computer), this ARTICLE might give you some tips for getting your computer ready for editing work.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: New to PRE8 and not happy
                morgandj Level 1

Bill,

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.

I followed the links you supplied and found that PE Runner did not work for me as the default install location is different on an X64 machine, however following further links.... and I should have used search in the first place, led me to a bunch of complaints in this area.

The solution was to turn off threading optimization for my Nvida card as discussed and discovered by other users not Adobe.

In reality my machine is not that new but is good an faithful with a dual processor and 4Gb of memory with more disk space than I know what to do with, one HDD bein an SSD.

Photography is my main task and I am just getting into Video with my Canon 5D Mark II, previously I used PD8 Ultra but found it a bit lagging in some area so thought a switch to PRE8 might be a good thing until I encountered the problems, but now maybe the investment was worth it

Again thanks for pointing me in the right direction

David

• 5. Re: New to PRE8 and not happy
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

David,

Good luck, and it is true that many articles and tutorials are written for Vista, or XP, and Win7 has some major differences, especially with the 64-bit versions.

For the Canon footage, the links in this ARTICLE might be useful. Many users are on the Canons, love the footage, and have found little tips that help, when editing it.

One of the contributors to the PrPro forum, PaulieDC, has been using both the 5D and 7D, and is going to do a full article on editing that footage in Adobe NLE's. He's in the process of moving right now, so he's up to his ears in other projects. As soon as he gets settled in, in Sunny Arizona, he has promised to do a full article. When he does, I will add a link to it, in that article of mine - the one with other links.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: New to PRE8 and not happy
                    morgandj Level 1

Bill,

Thanks for your ongoing support and advice.

I have just completed my first Video out of the 5D and using PrE, aside from the initial problems I am happy with the result, The video is not important or artistic it was simply an exercise for me to learn and understand the program.

So a 20 minute DVD was created using many 20 to 30 second clips with audio and I added a sound track narration titles, effects, transitions, and anything else I could think of.

My lack of initial knowledge made the process a bit slow but ultimately it was a good exercise.

The program did not crash at all, with many un-do's an re-do's! I have background rendering turned on and find the video does not play at all well until the rendering is done, I have turned off the Auto-enhancer as I found that to not exit and was slow, plus I prefer manual enhancement.

The GUI is not user friendly as some, and I am sure there are many shortcuts and tricks to be learnt, but my initial thoughts are I will use this program for editing and compilation.

The raw footage was shot with Canon 5D Mark II on manua,l fitted with a Rode SVM the MOV files were removed from the camera using the Eos Utility and then used in PrE from the folders.

I have a HP laptop with Intel dual core at 2.5Mhz and 4 Gb memory I'm still to form and opinion about the rendering and it's implications

David

• 7. Re: New to PRE8 and not happy
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

David,

One thing to consider is that Rendering is JUST for smooth playback. If one is getting adequate playback smoothness, then it is not really necessary, except when doing things like Keyframing. I complete many Projects and do not Render once. If you do need to Render, then you might want to manually do it initially, and then not worry about it, until you've done enough editing to require it again.

Going back many years, I used another NLE, that had Background Rendering, and immediately turned it OFF. From my years with it, and from time spent in its forum, it seemed that 90%, or more, turned it OFF. Personally, I like the fluidity of doing my editing, unhampered, and then doing a Render, when I want to get a cup of coffee.

Just some things to think about, and god luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: New to PRE8 and not happy
                        morgandj Level 1

Bill,

As I'm new to this Videography, pro advice is always welcome, thank you I'll do what you suggest

David

• 9. Re: New to PRE8 and not happy
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

David,

You are most welcome. Most of all, I hope that the comments are useful to you.

Hunt