2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2010 9:33 AM by the_wine_snob

Sorting out freezes in Vista

lucye90

I've been having multiple problems with Adobe Premiere Elements on Vista since i bought it about a week ago. i cannot do ANYTHING (even import video files) without the whole screen freezing and me having to restart the computer. bear in mind that I can still move the mouse, however ctrl+alt+delete fails to work and i cannot click anything.

okay guys, i am going to copy and paste the system requirements for you so that you can see if your computer actually meets them. I realised that whilst i'm having problems, I should at least attempt to help others too! to check, go onto (Vista) control panel/system and maintenance/system .

• ~ 2GHz processor with SSE2 support; 3GHz processor required for HDV or Blu-ray; dual-core processor required for AVCHD
    • ~ Microsoft® Windows® XP with Service Pack 2, Windows Media Center, Windows Vista®, or Windows 7
    • ~ For Windows XP: 512MB of RAM (2GB required for HD editing, including HDV, AVCHD, or Blu-ray)
    • ~ For Windows Vista and Windows 7: 1GB of RAM (2GB required for HD editing, including HDV, AVCHD, or Blu-ray)
    • ~ 4.5GB of available hard-disk space
    • ~ Color monitor with 16-bit color video card with up to date drivers
    • ~ 1,024x768 monitor resolution at 96dpi or less
    • ~ Microsoft DirectX 9 or 10 compatible sound and display driver
    • ~ DVD-ROM drive (compatible DVD burner required to burn DVDs; compatible Blu-ray burner required to burn Blu-ray discs)
    • ~ DV/i.LINK/FireWire/IEEE 1394 interface to connect a Digital 8 DV or HDV camcorder, or a USB2 interface to connect a DV-via-USB compatible DV camcorder (other video devices supported via the Media Downloader)
    • ~ QuickTime 7 software
    •  

I realised that actually I only have 1.60MHz and 1015MB RAM and so that's probably a contributing factor. but any other help that can be offered would be gratefully accepted!

Kindest Regards, Lucy xx

• 1. Re: Sorting out freezes in Vista
          nealeh Level 5

The fact that you have tried to import footage suggests that you have been able to start PRE, start a new project and open the dialog to import the footage. So:

• what project setting did you use when creating the new project?
          • where did the footage come from, and in what format?

We also need some more information about your PC. The announcement Got a problem? Here's how best to ask for help. will help (you may need to click through the different announcements from the far right of the announcement bar).

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Sorting out freezes in Vista
            the_wine_snob Level 9

With a minimal system, I would strongly recommend looking over the tips in this ARTICLE, which will help getting the very most from your computer, for an editing session.

There are several FAQ entries (accessed via the link to the right of the main forum screen), on optimizing Vista, one's computer, and also setup to help with video editing. I strongly recommend reading down those entries, as they are filled with great and useful tips.

Good luck,

Hunt