10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2010 4:01 PM by bogiesan-gyyClL

stop motion to look REAL

computerskillme Level 1

I'm sorry, I tried searching this but it seems that people want video to have the look of stop motion instead of having stop motion look real.

I shot several still photos with a 5D Mark II which I want to make look seemless like it was actually shot with a video.  (The reason I couldn't just shoot video is because it's non-living object that I want to make to look alive).

I started editing the photos in Premiere Pro, making the photos 1 sec each, but they still looked a bit choppy, when my hubby looked over my shouldar and said, "Why don't you use After Effects for that?  They should have some sort of blending or create the fill in frames."

Great idea, but what effect should I use?  Are there any tutorials on this?

Thank you so much in advance!

• 1. Re: stop motion to look REAL
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Stop motion should be at least 12 fps.  You can import a series of frames as a sequence then interpret the footage as 12 fps. I'll have more suggestions later when I'm not posting from my iPhone.

• 2. Re: stop motion to look REAL
            Navarro Parker Level 3

The main issue of stop motion is that you are photographing a series of stills where the subject is not moving.

Here's a good Wikipedia article on the problem: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_motion

So you might want to try using a plug-in like Force Motion Blur. If you can spend some money, look in to Reel Smart Motion Blur (which I highly recommend!).

http://www.revisionfx.com/products/rsmb/gallery/

• 3. Re: stop motion to look REAL
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Import the images as a sequence with a real low frame rate, then drop them in the timeline. Now you have two options: Either you use normal time stretching and frame belnding or, which is more controllable, the Timewarp effect. By adjusting the speed parameter you can now accelerate your footage and also have the effect calculate motion blur. A slight correction to Navarro's suggestion: CC Force Motion Blur would not necessarily work on image sequences. It is merely meant as a workaround for effects that have no motion blur to process more inbetween steps to create the illusion of motion blur. Where's nothing to process, there won't be blur.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: stop motion to look REAL
                computerskillme Level 1

Thank you, everyone for your suggestions.

Mylenium, I'm not sure what you refer to when you say "sequence."

In After Effects, after choosing a frame rate as 12, I go to

Import > File > click on  17 stills  (it's just a doll bring the paper down to show her face)

I check the JPEG Sequence box, and click on Open, but I receive the error message "After Effects error: the file format module could not parse the file."

I receive this same error message when I don't click that box.

Any suggestions?

• 5. Re: stop motion to look REAL
                  computerskillme Level 1

Thank you, but I'm not looking to make the image blurry.  I want it as real as possible.

• 6. Re: stop motion to look REAL
                    computerskillme Level 1

I'm able to import one photo, one at a time, after it gives me another error message that I'm missing frames, but the photo only shows up half complete.

So I opened up Premiere Pro CS4 and put the photos in there.  I gave them 1 sec duration.  When I apply the time warp plug on the photos, then the screen goes black.  Maybe I should say that these photos are 5DMII files, 1920x1080, jpeg?

• 7. Re: stop motion to look REAL
                      Navarro Parker Level 3

Are they CMYK JPEGs? Or RAW + JPEGs? You could save them out with a batch convert in Photoshop to JPEGs or DNG. (I think AE supports DNG sequences?)

AE likes plain ol' 8-bpc RGB JPEGs only.

• 8. Re: stop motion to look REAL
                        bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

> Thank you, but I'm not looking to make the image blurry.  I want it as real as possible.<

If you watch video of moving obejcts you will see that they are blurred in the direction of the velocity vectors.

I wish you a lot of luck on this but shooting stop-motion animation is a highly refined artform that depends upon more than a century of perfected craft. You can't just make something look it was shot as video by throwing software at it without knowing exactly what you needed to do before you shot it.

bogiesan

• 9. Re: stop motion to look REAL
                          computerskillme Level 1

It's done.  What I did was import the .jpg files to APP, made them all 1 second long, exported the footage as uncompressed avi, imported it back in, and then made the speed 450%.  It looks very nice, just what I wanted.

• 10. Re: stop motion to look REAL
                            bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

computerskillme wrote:

It's done.  What I did was import the .jpg files to APP, made them all 1 second long, exported the footage as uncompressed avi, imported it back in, and then made the speed 450%.  It looks very nice, just what I wanted.

That's an overly complex method, only a passing connection to your OP. You ended up with a rate of 4.5 frames per second? That's not video so what's the project's purpose again?

Did you use frame blending?

bogiesan