4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2010 2:01 PM by 3Grizzlies

Mapping a Photoshop image

3Grizzlies Level 1

On page 341 of the Adobe Illustrator CS4 Classroom In A Book, under Mapping a Photoshop image, I follow the directions, but I can never get past STEP 1.

I can locate the image named limeskin.psd, but I don't know how to "Make sure that Link is not selected in the Place dialog box. I don't know how to embed a File that is to be used as a symbol. If I don't select the Link, I can't Click Place because it is grayed out. If I do select "limeskin.psd", so that the Place is not grayed out, I get the following error message: "A symbol definition cannot contain a linked image." I can't go past the error message to Click OK in the Photoshop Import Options dialog box because the dialog box never appears. Stuck, end of progress in this lesson.

• 1. Re: Mapping a Photoshop image
          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

You are trying perhaps to embed a format that Illustrator does not support for embedding such as a Photoshop DCS as an eps file resave the file as a photoshop file and embed that psd file or as a tiff. Now you will be able to make it a symbol.

• 2. Re: Mapping a Photoshop image
            3Grizzlies Level 1

Thanks for your quick reply. I don't think there should be an issue with embedding a format that illustrator does not support because the "limeskin.psd" file in question was provided by Adobe Systems Incorporated from the CLASSROOM IN A BOOK, ADOBE ILLUSTRATOR CS4 CD.

The objective here is to import artwork from other applications, such as Photoshop. In this part of the lesson, I'm supposed to place a Photoshop texture into the document and apply it to a piece of soap.

STEP 1 says:

1 Choose File > Place, and locate the image named limeskin.psd in the Lesson 11 folder. Make sure that Link is not selected in the Place dialog box. Files to be used as symbols must be embedded. Click Place. In the Photoshop Import Options dialog box, click OK.

If I make sure that Link is not selected in the Place dialog box, I cannot Click Place because it is grayed out. If I select Link, then I can Click Place, because it becomes black, but the process does not work because I get the error message, and the Photoshop Import Options dialog box never appears. So I can't click OK.

• 3. Re: Mapping a Photoshop image
              Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Once you've Placed the file as a Link, go to the Links Panel and from the Flyout Menu (small triangle, upper right) choose Embed link. This does the same as the instructions from the ACIB. Then make your symbol from the embedded image.

• 4. Re: Mapping a Photoshop image
                3Grizzlies Level 1

Thanks for the help! Your "work around" got me past that point in the steps. Hopefully someday soon more of this will assume the proper order in my mind.

While attempting the  "Exploring on your own" section at the end of the chapter, I got hung up again. I've decided to move on to the next chapter rather than allow procedural details to stop me again so soon.