10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2010 1:12 PM by Todd_Kopriva

single image flythroughs - how to?

howie2007

Hi Guys,

New to after effects! Whats the best method to create flythroughs of a single image? I saw a tutorial about using vanishing point in Photoshop and importing it into after effects. Just wondering, if I have a single image eg a street, how do I fly through the street and turn right/left during the flythrough to fly over the landmarks. I don't necessarily want the flythrough to0 just go in a straight line only. Any ideas or links to specific tutorial or videos on single image flythroughs please?

Thanks

• 1. Re: single image flythroughs - how to?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

For a complex 3D fly through you would need many, many more images. I suggest you do some generic research into camera mapping and panorama stitching, e.g. by watching tutorials on Video Copilot. If you really only have one image, you can cut it up in various "planes" and create some simple parallax effects by moving the camera within small boundaries, but even that requires additional work in order to patch up "holes" that may become visible when the cam moves around. Everything else requires a lot more work and planning beforehand...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: single image flythroughs - how to?
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If only the products they use in CSI were available in real life... 

• 3. Re: single image flythroughs - how to?
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I just removed a post because it was entirely an insult at another poster.

• 4. Re: single image flythroughs - how to?

Yeah, seems to happen a lot lately...

Mylenium

• 5. Re: single image flythroughs - how to?
                  bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

> I just removed a post because it was entirely an insult at another poster.<

Ouch, hope that wasn't my fault. Got me into big trouble on another forum.

The original question seemed to me to be w-a-y more complicated than someone who is new to After Effects will grasp. It's one of those inquires that looks like it's based on "my friends (or the advertising) say I can do this easily and quickly in AE." Tough to respond without either appearing to be condescending or simply refusing to be drawn into a long series of posts that end up being an extensive tutorial in 3D design, Photoshop vanish ing point exports, lighting, camera movement, clever use of nulls, and rendering proxies.

bogiesan

• 6. Re: single image flythroughs - how to?

I wouldn't concern myself too much with the Why or How... Sh*t happens. I'm going through the same tenure on 3D forums a lot just because I never show my work and - oh - that makes me a dork and doesn't entitle me to utter my opinion there. (of course I'm being charming in my own way, which certainly contributes to things tunrning into a furball) *lol*

Mylenium

[post edited for inappropriate language]

• 7. Re: single image flythroughs - how to?
                      Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Perhaps the offending poster took umbrage at your description of the poster as charmingly innocent. But you were right. What they were asking for is bordering on ridiculous and I thought you responded in an appropriate manner.

• 8. Re: single image flythroughs - how to?
                        bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

Discussion is academic now.

I need to try that "report abuse" button myself one of these days. Opportunity knocks, who's first? 

bogiesan

• 9. Re: single image flythroughs - how to?

That button seems to do nothing a lot of times. If no mod is around, some of the posts remain in place for days until they fall out of the charts (=first page). Happens often when I'm posting in the morning and all the US people are still making facial impressions in their cushions. I guess that solves the problem on some level, too. Now al lI need is to figure out why descriptions of byproducts of biological functions are considered inappropriate...

Mylenium

• 10. Re: single image flythroughs - how to?
                            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

We actually do pay attention to the abuse reports. Sometimes we agree and remove the post; sometimes we agree and edit the post and leave a note that explains the edit; sometimes we agree and just send a message to the poster. I'm not the only one who deals with the abuse-report queue but, if you disagree with how we're handling these things, feel free to let me know.

Regarding the use of excessively rude words that describe bodily functions: These words offend some people. We want this forum to be a place where people are comfortable coming to seek help. So we prohibit the use of these words. In practice, we don't bleep every instance. Just, please, be nice.