10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2010 2:53 PM by nealeh

Selecting language when importing a DVD

Patrick8639b

Hello,

I'm trying to import a multi-language DVD and I don't find where I can select the language for the video files.

How can I select the language?

Patrick

• 1. Re: Selecting language when importing a DVD
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Patrick,

Because of the DVD-specs, you will only be able to select the language, when playing the DVD. The Audio Tracks in the DVD are laid down separately, and are accessible via either a Menu, or via Audio from the player's remote. When Importing into PrE, you will only get whichever language is set as Audio 1. Now, there might be specialized ripping software, that can extract the multiple Audio Tracks, but I am unaware of them. There is one TMGEdit (or similar), that you might want to explore.

This Encore FAQ Entry might prove useful too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Selecting language when importing a DVD
            Patrick8639b Level 1

Bill,

in video editing software such as Sony Vegas, this is possible!

In Sony Vegas, you have one audio track per language.

Why can't Adobe do this?

Patrick

• 3. Re: Selecting language when importing a DVD
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Every program has its benefits and each has its liabilities, Patrick.

You should choose the program that best fits your workflow. It's much easier than picking a program first and then demanding that it be more like what you want.

• 4. Re: Selecting language when importing a DVD
                Patrick8639b Level 1

Steve,

and it's much more easier to say that the program works this way, than to change it when an interesting feature could be added. You, americans, are not interested at localization problems that only affect whose who are not working only in English.

All the video editing programs have pros and cons, so it is almost impossible to find one that has all the features you really want. Excepted by buying all of them and using them for days.

Also, when I bought Premiere Elements 8, I don't know it was full of bugs: this is not specified in the Adobe site!

Patrick

• 5. Re: Selecting language when importing a DVD
                  WAHunt3 Level 1

Maybe I misunderstood what you are trying to do. Do you already have a multi-language DVD, that you are trying to rip different languages, or do you wish to author (create) a multi-language DVD?

For the latter, many full-featured authoring programs can do this. I use Adobe Encore, though usually for different Audio, such as DTS, DD 5.1 SS and DD Pro-Logic, and seldom different languages. In Encore, this is simple to do.

In PrE, the authoring capabilities are limited to simple, multi-Menu, or Auto Play, DVD's with a single Audio Track.

I do not know if Sony's DVD Architect is capable of this, but many authoring programs are.

Let me know what you have, and what you wish to end up with. Sorry for my misunderstanding, but the term Import might have thrown me off.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Selecting language when importing a DVD
                    WAHunt3 Level 1

Patrick,

Regardless of the country that one woks in, there are many reasons for adding multiple language (or Audio) Tracks. I do it for many Projects, per my clients' needs. For me, it is more often different Audio for formats, but I do several multi-language DVD's per year. Same with multi-language Subtitles.

I edit in PrPro, and then author in Encore, per the clients' specs. Works beautifully, and is easy to do in those two programs.

Now, if you would like to see multi-language support added to PrE, you will want to fill in a Feature Request. I would be surprised to see Adobe add this function, especially as their "pro" suite already includes it, but if they do not know that their install-base wants it, they will never add it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Selecting language when importing a DVD
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Oops,

Did not notice that the Adobe forum had logged me out, and then automatically logged me back in as my "alter-ego," WAHunt3.

Sorry about that. Not only did I misunderstand the question, but now I muddy things up by posting with my "other identity!"

Hunt

• 8. Re: Selecting language when importing a DVD
                        Patrick8639b Level 1

Bill,

I have a multi-language DVD and just would like to import it with the French language, not the English language that is the default.

Patrick

• 9. Re: Selecting language when importing a DVD
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, I was right all along. For use with PrE, I would recommending doing this via a rip of the DVD. PrE's Importing capabilities will be limited to the Audio Track 1, regardless of the supplemental Audio Tracks.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Selecting language when importing a DVD
                            nealeh Level 5

Patrick8639b wrote:

Steve,

and it's much more easier to say that the program works this way, than to change it when an interesting feature could be added. You, americans, are not interested at localization problems that only affect whose who are not working only in English.

I think you are making a fundamental forum problem with your, in my opinion, rude comment. This is a user to user forum - no Adobe staff here. If you want a feature added you should contact Adobe through the Contact button at the top of every page.

--
                            Neale
                            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children