3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2010 4:20 PM by the_wine_snob

Changing file pathname of imported projects

techronu Level 1

Does anyone have a tip or easy way to change the filepath name of an imported project from its' prior PPro 2 project filepath to the new filepath in CS4?   I recently moved to a new computer system with Windows 7 and Trial Version of CS4 and changed the source folders around to take advantage of the additional disc space. I want to test CS4 with an old project created in PPro2.

I Import the old project and encounter the "Where is the file" dialogue which I expected. Doing a "find" is not like PPro 2 and painfully slow in CS4. With PPro 2, I would check "Exact Match", "Find" then "Select."  Without having to enter the filename, the application would fetch the file.  It's a little more work in CS4.  Web Help Trial Version suggests using a text editor to find and replace the old path filename in the project file with the new path filename.See the attached -

Where is the file.PNG

I'm hoping someone out there knows of an easier way. Apprecaite any suggestions.

• 1. Re: Changing file pathname of imported projects
          the_wine_snob Level 9

If the Path has been changed, I find it easiest to let PrPro ask me "where is that file now?" It will help you navigate and even Find the new location. For all Assets in the Project, in the same folder, if you navigate to the first, it will do it for the rest. If the Assets are in different folders, you must just repeat for all folders.

Now, the PRPROJ file is XML, so it can be Opened in a text editor. I'd do this with a copy, in case something goes bad. Just do a Find/Search for that old Path, and change it. Here, I would do a Save_As and increment the file name - again just in case there is something wrong, as you will still have the original.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - when migrating Projects via an external HDD, just set the drive letter to be the same in the OS of each computer, so no more lost Paths.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Changing file pathname of imported projects
            techronu Level 1

Hunt, thank you again.

I should have asked the question before I moved to the new system. Your final suggestion makes a lot of sense for future readers of this forum planning to migrate to a new hardware system.

"For all Assets in the Project, in the same folder, if you navigate to the first, it will do it for the rest." This never happened for me. This is what I was hoping PPro CS4 would do. All the assets are in the same folder. I navigated to the first asset, selected it, and PPro asked me for the next, and the next. I had to repeat the process, one by one. Very tedious process until I selected Skip it all. Maybe I'm "selecting" it incorrectly but it's pretty straight forward and I would think it should work like PPro 2. 

If I go the text edit route, I will definitely take your advice and make a copy of the original file. Excellent suggestion.

• 3. Re: Changing file pathname of imported projects
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Good luck with gathering things up again, whichever route you decide to go.

Hunt