4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2010 7:52 AM by John Blaustein

CSS or Tables for this site?

John Blaustein Level 4

Hi,

Several of you have helped me in the past few weeks as I try to get up to speed with Dreamweaver and CSS, and I continue to be grateful for that.  (I came to DW from FrontPage which I used for years for what is now my old site -- not online.)

My new site is now live:

http://www.johnblaustein.com

As you will see if you look at the source code, I used a table -- 3 rows, 3 colums -- to organize and position my content.  The format validates in DW and it looks fine in IE, FF, Chrome and Safari (on Windows).

I have been studying the DW videos on Lynda.com.  In particular, I am interested in the section on Layout -- box model, positioning, floats, margins, etc.

QUESTION: I am wondering if there is any reason I would have better off building the site with CSS rather than a table.  I see that I could have used one of the DW fixed templates-- three colums with header and footer -- and achieved the same results.  For a simple layout like mine, is it a question of design preferences, or is there some benefit to CSS that I may not be aware of?

Given that I have used a table, should I wrap all of my body content in a <div id=mainContent> tag?  Is this necessary?

Thanks very much for any comments of this.

John