11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2010 1:27 PM by shooternz

Visual and Audio out of sync

zsportz

Hi there

We are attempting to edit some HD footage whereby the video and audio are out of sync.

Plays ok as an MPEG4 file on the computer hard drive - problem only occurs when the footage is imported into Premier Pro CS4.  We are importing via the media browser.

The problem gets worse as it plays e.g. at the end of a 49 minutes the audio lags by 9 seconds.

I read this thread, but it didn't really explain what is causing it ..

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436751?tstart=30

Here are the specifications of the footage..

File Path: C:\Users\Administrator\My Videos\Coast10_videomaster\Nora 2Day Day1 Vp1
      Type: MPEG Movie
      File Size: 10.8 GB
      Image Size: 1440 x 1080
      Pixel Depth: 32
      Frame Rate: 25.00
      Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - compressed - Stereo
      Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo
      Total Duration: 00:59:01:08
      Average Data Rate: 3.1 MB / second
      Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.3333

We wondered about the Source Audio Format and Project Audio Format being different e.g. compressed / 32 bit floating point ??

Someone suggested to syncronise ?  but from what I can tell this is only useful for multiple clips?

One of the local film tutors suggested that it is a problem with the hdv cameras not having a video-sound time sync and it was the cameras fault. Apparently the only way to get around that was to capture in short clips instead of one big lot.  Camera used is a Sony V1P.

Welcome any comments .. would be very much appreciated!

• 1. Re: Visual and Audio out of sync
          the_wine_snob Level 9

To edit, all 48KHz 16-bit Audio will be Conformed to 32-bit Floating Point, so that should not be an issue.

Now, dynamic OOS is a problem. This ARTICLE will tell you how to address the OOS, but nipping it in the bud is by far the best way to deal with it.

What are the total specs. of the Project, and how do those match up to the Video attributes of your source footage?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Visual and Audio out of sync
            zsportz Level 1

Hi Hunt

Would you mind telling me where to find out the find that information .. is it under Edit > Preferences ?? or somewhere else ??

Thanks, we're still learning :-)

Kind regards

Jen

• 3. Re: Visual and Audio out of sync
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Jen,

In PrPro 2.0, it's in Project from the toolbar. I would guess that it's under Sequence in CS4, as the ability to do different Sequence Presets was introduced then. Sorry that I cannot be more specific, but do not have CS4 to check. Others can direct you on CS4 specifically.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Visual and Audio out of sync
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Use HDVSplit to capture HDV material. It is free, has scene detection and avoids OOS errors.

• 5. Re: Visual and Audio out of sync
                  zsportz Level 1

Hi there

We have downloaded HDVSplit and it works brilliantly thanks - audio and video now in sync!

Another question .. it seems to output AVCHD rather than HDV .. can't seem to see anywhere to change the output format?

We are a bit worried that we might run into problems editing as we are producing a 45minute feature taking in approx 8 hours worth of footage ..

We are hearing stories that native HDV has a lot less overheads than AVCHD. Plus it seems a shame to have HDV footage which is compressed to AVCHD to edit.

In saying this we have found that the AVCHD rendered by HDVSplit seems better than other AVCHD footage we have viewed downloaded off a Sony CX12 camera, which is good news.

We have heard that Sony's DVGate works in a similar way to HDVSplit but retains the HDV format -- but as yet haven't located a Win 7 version.

We do have a CD with "Picture Motion Browser Ver 2.0.17 for HDV camcorder" not sure if that would work?

Kind regards

Jen

• 6. Re: Visual and Audio out of sync
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Do not be confused by the .m2t file extension. The files are really HDV codec files in MPEG2 format.

By output format, do you mean on export? Or on the monitor when playing from the time line?

If your sequence settings are a HDV preset, all material captured with HDVSplit will show up without a colored bar above the time line and will not require rendering. If you see a red or yellow bar, then there is a mismatch between your sequence setting and the HDV material.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Visual and Audio out of sync
                      zsportz Level 1

Hi Harm

Yes you were right ... when looking at the files in "File manager / Explorer" they said AVCHD but actually they are .m2t so no problem!

Boy there's a lot to learn with this stuff.

We have had some good results with using HDVSplit and even found an online user guide :-)

Just one more question .. what are the pros / cons of choosing "split" or "not split".

We are about to process 8 tapes of footage so good to make the best choices up front :-)

Thanks very much for your help!

Jen

• 8. Re: Visual and Audio out of sync
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

For me personally, I find working with split files easier than one long clip. It makes it easier to identify shots you can do without and deleting them from the project, instead of having to search for them in a long clip and razoring them out. It gives me the advantage of date and time stamp on each short clip, so it is easy to see how late it was when you made the shot. It makes it easy to reuse a clip for for an intro of aftro. It makes it easy to find certain frames that need to exported as stills. The drawback is that projects with many clips take longer to load, but since I usually load a project once a day, it does not matter to me and I have a pretty decent PC, so my waiting time for loading is not very long.

I find razoring a long clip tedious or even setting multiple in and out points in a long clip to be less fluent than working with short clips

But that is just my opinion.

• 9. Re: Visual and Audio out of sync
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm,

I am with you on this, as well. Things are just easier on my feeble old brain.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Visual and Audio out of sync
                            zsportz Level 1

Thank you we are splitting as you recommend (infact when we did the first test without splitting it failed anyway ..  voice/video were out of sync .. lots of dropped frames etc..)

Thanks very much for your help, hugely appreciated !!! 

• 11. Re: Visual and Audio out of sync
                              shooternz Level 6

I am surprised to notice that anyone would even consider using the Razor Tool in a workflow when dealing with a long source clip.  That would be seriously tedious.  In /Out points from the source monitor is the way to deal with a long clip (un less it is a basic tidy up by extracting the "rubbish")

Yes ...dealing with split clips is definitely a more manageable option to take.