3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2010 6:48 AM by Lost In My Mind

Empty Street

Lost In My Mind Level 1

Read the manual and still can't find a good answer. I have some footage of a street/alley that I want to look deserted. There are some moving cars and people in the footage. What would be the best way to accomplish this? Go frame by frame and try and cut out empty pieces as things move out of the way, and then put it back together like a puzzle (I worry about any change in lighting if it takes too long). Also, I have a green screened character that I want to walk up the street and maintain perspective as she moves towards the camera. In Photoshop there is vanishing point, is there a good way to do that here (other than key scale)? Any help would be appreciated. Cin

PS. Let me know if this is too vague, and I will try and explain better.

• 1. Re: Empty Street
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I'd start with the Clone Stamp tool. Remember that you can clone from different times, so you can take a clean time-span from an earlier or later time to replace a time-span when a person walks through, et cetera.

• 2. Re: Empty Street
            bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

I have some footage of a street/alley that I want to look deserted. There are some moving cars and people in the footage. What would be the best way to accomplish this?

the easiest way is to reshoot it.

The next easy way is grab a frame that is completely empty and use the still image. That seems to be all you really need, a still. You can more easily add foreground animation and simulations to a still image than take them out of moving video.

Attempting to rotoscope out all of the details out of your video is a thankless task that make you realize it would be easier to reshoot the scene you need rather than fixing it in post.

Also, I have a green screened character that I want to walk up the street and maintain perspective as she moves towards the camera.

"Perspective" is perhaps incorrect. You only have a flat image. You can spin that image on the y axis but you cannot add depth to it. She will always look like a piece of paper if you titl the edge of the paper toward the camera. You want to reshoot her so her movement toward and way form the camera matches the move you want her to make in the scene.

bogiesan

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Empty Street
              Lost In My Mind Level 1

Thank you as always for your help Todd. I hadn't considered the Clone Tool for this, but I will definately give it a try. Thank you also Bogiesan, but as for reshooting, I don't really know of a time when there isn't something going on down on that street. And yes, you are right, all I really need would be a still. I was just hoping to make one from video as people and cars move to expose covered spots. Thank you also for the help with perspective, as I wasn't aware of that potential problem. Thanks again. Cin