8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2010 12:47 AM by camille1974

Animation in a Loop in Flash Catalyst

camille1974

I have made an animation that runs On Application Start but I can not find the way to run it in a loop.

Please help !

• 1. Re: Animation in a Loop in Flash Catalyst
          Bear Travis Adobe Employee

Hello,

Could you tell me what kind of animation you are working with? Is it an external animation asset, like a video or swf, or one you've made in Catalyst using transitions, action sequences, and / or custom components?

If it's made within Catalyst, you may want to read up on the thread here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/574121?tstart=0

If it is an external animation asset, then:

1. You can set videos to "loop" in the Properties panel in the lower right

2. SWF assets loop by default once they start playing

Let me know if you have any more questions,

-Bear

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Animation in a Loop in Flash Catalyst
            camille1974 Level 1

Thank you very much for taking some time to answer me !!

I have made an animation within Catalyst with words that come and go etc. so I will try the movie clip trick.

Again, thank you for your time. I'll try it and come back to you to tell you if it worked !

Camille

• 3. Re: Animation in a Loop in Flash Catalyst
              camille1974 Level 1

Dear Bear,

ok...

I made the movie clip, imported it into catalyst, set it to auto-play and loop. Then I added an Interaction "On Video Play Complete" > "Play Action Sequence" (which I don't quite understand though...).

Here is what it does (i left the movie with opacity 100% to check what was going on with the movie vs the animation) :

It plays the animation AND the movie on application start and then, the movie loops but not the animation which is stuck at the end of the first run.

I am proberbly doing something wrong with the "Play Action Sequence" because I don't understand what it means (I am french...).

Can you help me again ?

Yours,

Camille

• 4. Re: Animation in a Loop in Flash Catalyst

Hi Camille,

The "On Video Play Complete" -> "Play Action Sequence" means that, whenever the movie clip finishes playing, Catalyst should perform the "On Video Play Complete" Action Sequence in the timeline.

What effects are you using in your action sequence (move / rotate / etc) ? Make sure that at the end of the action sequence, you put everything back where it started, so it can repeat.

For example, if you have text, and you put an Move - Absolute (x = 100, y = 100) in your Action sequence, you'll have to put a corresponding Move - Absolute (x = start position, y = start position) in. Otherwise, the move will keep on going to the same position, which won't animate.

If that doesn't work, would you be up for sending your .fxp to betravis [at] adobe [dot] com, and I will take a peek at it?

-Bear

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Animation in a Loop in Flash Catalyst
                  camille1974 Level 1

Bear !!

I did it ! Thanks to you !!

Thank you very very much for your help. I have one last question though... I had to make the animation twice : once "at Application Start" -> "Play Action Sequence"  and once again at  "On Video Play Complete" -> "Play Action Sequence". So both Action Sequences were the same.

Is there a way to copy actions of a time line and paste them in another ? "Command + C" seems to be copying only the layers...

Yours very very faithfully,

Camille

• 6. Re: Animation in a Loop in Flash Catalyst
                    camille1974 Level 1

P.S. : I had to do it twice otherwise the animation would start after the movie clip (which is invisible) that lasts 7 seconds !

• 7. Re: Animation in a Loop in Flash Catalyst

Hi Camille,

This workaround is pretty messy, so you will unfortunately have to duplicate the action sequence. Currently, we don't have support for copy-paste in the timeline, so you will have to duplicate it.

One way of factoring this in the future is to create a custom component from the text, and then add your desired animation as the transition from State1 to State2 of that component. Then, your action sequence (on the movie clip play complete event) can just be to set the component's state from State1 -> State2, and vice versa to reverse. That way, you won't have to copy the same action sequences all the time.

-Bear

• 8. Re: Animation in a Loop in Flash Catalyst
                        camille1974 Level 1

Perfect ! Thanks again Bear.