5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2010 5:12 PM by the_wine_snob

Output HD segments to recombine into a final film

Andy Post Level 1

I'm working on a project for my local Habitat for Humanity crew.  I'm taking a still shot eveyr 5 seconds, creating a timelapse and then overlaying stills taken throughout the day as well.

1. I start by lowering the resolution on all the still frames to 1920X1080
      2. Use Quicktime to stitch them into a series of clips.  I'm doing 500 frame lots so it doesn't block up.
      3. In Premier Elements 8 I haven't found a setting for that resolultion.  The closest I've found is 1440X1080.  So be it.  I haven't seen any horrible loss of image from the cropping.
      4. I'm doing these in day sections and want to combine them into a single show. 
      5. I"m exporting to a AVI file so I can get the segments into the single show version
      6. The default resolution is 720X480.  I changed to uncompressed AVI and saw I could change the width/height.  If I change the Height to the full 1080, it uses 1620 as the width.  Where did that come from?
      7. Odder still...when I import those segments into a new file, they don't fill the image area, but have a black border all around. 

Any tips?

• 1. Re: Output HD segments to recombine into a final film
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What are you ultimately trying to output -- a video for DVD or a video for BluRay?

That will determine the best settings for your output and your mixdown project.

• 2. Re: Output HD segments to recombine into a final film
            Andy Post Level 1

Ultimately a Blu-Ray on the high end.  BUT it will likely circulate on the school's (sponsor volunteer's) website more than being viewed via Blu-Ray.  I'm betting it's a lot better to rez down than up ;-)

• 3. Re: Output HD segments to recombine into a final film
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Okay. If a hi-def workflow is required, your best output is 1440x1080 30 (or 25, if you're in PAL land).

This outputs an HDV-compatible video file. (The 1440x1080 output uses non-square pixels, as all standard TV does, so the video is 16:9.)

Once you've output all of the parts, assemble them in a project set up for HDV video. When you place your clips in the timeline, there should not be a red or green line above them. This indicates an ideal match of source file and project setting.

• 4. Re: Output HD segments to recombine into a final film
                Andy Post Level 1

Who is this who is so wise in the ways of science!  Works like the charm you said it would.

I'd actually tried something like that, but had used the 1920X1080 version.  What was wierd is that when I tried to put the clip back into the very file that had just exported it, I couldn't.  I'd point to the clip, it woud show up in the organize tab, but then when I tried to drag it to the timeline, the program would come up and ask me where to find the file.  Just like when you open a file you've moved, like it needed to get it's bearings.  But it would never let me place the file.

I went on a search for legal file types and .m2t was in there.  I restarted Elements and then the file slid right into place.  Wierd.

But all is well, and I think I'm about to put this thing behind me.

Thanks to you and Mr. Hunt for all your help.

• 5. Re: Output HD segments to recombine into a final film
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

In the case of our own Steve Grisetti, well he's the one, "who wrote the book on PrE... "

He is an amazing asset to this forum and to Adobe.

I noticed that Adobe is looking for a new Project Manager for PrPro. Maybe Steve can submit his resume, unless he does not want to move to San Jose? I'd vote for him.

Good luck,

Hunt