6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2010 11:48 AM by Rajackar_K

[cs4] ImporterProcessServer.exe taking 100% cpu during multi cam monitor

Rajackar_K Level 1

Hi There,

I'm relatively new to Premiere and have been loving it so far. I recently started to get an annoying problem though.

Whenever I start the multicam monitor for multi cam editing and press the play buttun the ImporterProcessServer.exe process starts taking up about 100% of the cpu and video starts to stutter. After a while the video freezes and audio keeps playing.

I'm on a dual core 3Ghz machine with 4 Gb ram running windows 7.

I reinstalled my machine recently and problems seem to have started afterwards.

Any help in resolving this would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: [cs4] ImporterProcessServer.exe taking 100% cpu during multi cam monitor
          Harm Millaard Level 7

You forgot to mention the most important issue here, what is your source material (codec) and what are your sequence settings?

If it happens to be AVCHD, the problem is very simple: Underpowered PC.

• 2. Re: [cs4] ImporterProcessServer.exe taking 100% cpu during multi cam monitor
            Rajackar_K Level 1

Thanks for the reply

I'm using material from different sources in different codec's. They are  MPEG Movie, avi, wmv and XDCAM.Sequence settings are pal 720 x 576.

I believe it has worked before and sometimes I get a minute or so of good performance before it all freezes again.

If the PC is indeed the problem would it help to scale down all source material to 720 x 576 before editting?

• 3. Re: [cs4] ImporterProcessServer.exe taking 100% cpu during multi cam monitor
              Harm Millaard Level 7

MPEG and AVI are just containers that can hold a variety of materials. What codecs? Use G-Spot to determine that and illustrate that with screenshots.

What are your PC specs? Especiallty disk I/O.

• 4. Re: [cs4] ImporterProcessServer.exe taking 100% cpu during multi cam monitor
                Rajackar_K Level 1

allright, here goes:

wmv is reported as VC-1 :

Bit rate                         : 3 957 Kbps
                Width                            : 640 pixels
                Height                           : 480 pixels

Mp4 is reported as MPEG-4:

Format profile                   : Base Media / Version 2
                Codec ID                         : mp42

Format                           : MPEG Video

Format version                   : Version 2

Bit rate                         : 35.0 Mbps
                Width                            : 1 920 pixels
                Height                           : 1 080 pixels

avi's are  is reported as:

Format                           : Digital Video
                Codec ID                         : dvsd
                Codec ID/Hint                    : Sony
                Duration                         : 10mn 44s
                Bit rate mode                    : Constant
                Bit rate                         : 24.4 Mbps
                Width                            : 720 pixels
                Height                           : 576 pixels

Temp files are on a 15k rpm scsi 320 disk.

This happens to be my system disk so changing windows swap file location might be worth a try although it seems cpu is the limit right now.

rest of the material is comming of a 7200 rpm 1 TB disk with very good transfer speeds (up to 90MB/s)

proc is an intel E8400 dual core 3 Ghz and ram is 4GB of dual channel dominator performance memory (can't remember the values right now).

What really bugs my is that is worked before I reinstalled windows. I changed from win7 rc2 to win7 enterprise (rc was going to end soon ).

At the moment I'm editting by just scrolling back and forth manually and selecting cams from the multi cam monitor. While this works it's painstaking and slow when compared to the multi cam player.

• 5. Re: [cs4] ImporterProcessServer.exe taking 100% cpu during multi cam monitor
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

The E8400 is not the most powerful CPU one could wish for, so maybe if you convert your WMV and your XDCAM material to MS DV AVI type2 before doing your multicam editing, that can help. Your CPU has enough muscle to handle any of these formats by itself, but multicam with these different formats may be too much. This is assuming that your delivery format will be SD DVD.

• 6. Re: [cs4] ImporterProcessServer.exe taking 100% cpu during multi cam monitor
                    Rajackar_K Level 1

Thanks, I will try this. The format

is indeed SD DVD. The reason I didn't already convert the material is that I'm relatively new to video editting and I'm afraid to degrade my material too much by setting the wrong conversion parameters. Do you recomend using premiere for the conversion or some other tool?

Lots of thanks for helping me