5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2010 5:43 PM by the_wine_snob

A request or suggestion

morgandj

I don't know if Adobe people look at the forums, I hope so.

Well written programs should always clean up after themselves and delete files no longer in use, PrE8 for me is not doing that!

Every time PrE is opened it deposits at least 3 temporary file in my temp folder each of 350 kb, these files are not cleaned up (deleted) on exit, nor are they used again by PrE when re-opened.

The consequence of this, if regular cleaning of the temp folders is not undertaken then disk space will diminish quickly with constant program use.

This reference is only to Windows PC operation, I don't know if it is relevant to other OS's

David

• 1. Re: A request or suggestion
          the_wine_snob Level 9

David,

Here is the Feature Request/Bug Form. That goes right to Adobe.

Now, can you tell us more about these TMP files? What are their extensions?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: A request or suggestion
            morgandj Level 1

Bill thanks for that.

In reality there are about 11 files created in the temp folder by PrE8, this would be easy for any user to check by cleaning out their temp folder and then opening and closing PrE.

The larger of the files are typically named along the lines ~DF31406B35F4255340.TMP and are 305 kb in size x 3.

My only reason to mention this is having spent some time in the IT industry I find the temp folder to be overlooked by users in computer maintenance and can very quickly become a drag on any system

David

• 3. Re: A request or suggestion
              the_wine_snob Level 9

David,

I do not have PrE 8, so am not familiar with those files. What you list almost looks like Photoshop TMP files, especially with the ~. Out of curiosity, do you also have Photoshop/Photoshop Elements?

Now, PS does create large TMP files, located where one puts their Scratch Disks (different from folders/files by the same name in PrE), but they are supposed to be cleaned up, even with a restart after a crash. However, and regardless of what Chris Cox, one of the developers of PS, says, they are too often left behind, and are NOT removed. It has been that way from back to PS 2.5.

Maybe PrE 8 has added something, and I am just not familiar with the files that you reference. Usually, all working files for PrE are written to the various folders where one locates PrE's Scratch Disks - mine are usually within the Project folder structure.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I do agree that programs should cleanup behind themselves. However with a crash, PS does not do this 100%.

• 4. Re: A request or suggestion
                morgandj Level 1

Yes Bill I have PSCS4 and Lightroom but neither running at the same time as PrE.

As I have an SSD primary drive all the cache and work folders are moved to my second internal HDD and they work as I noted when I compiled my last video.

In my mind there is no doubt that these files are being created by PrE, a user can confirm this by deleting all deletable files in their temp folder and then opening and closing PrE, without performing any other actions, and then view their temp folder to note the increase in files.

Now this may be unique to my X64 system however, I don't believe this to be the case, it is just bad housekeeping by the program.

David

• 5. Re: A request or suggestion
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

David,

Regarding TMP files, I just might learn something new about PrE 8 from your thread.

Good luck,

Hunt