35 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2010 7:36 AM by LaciG

PE7 general/generic disk menu's 'Play All' button does not work?

LaciG Level 1

I have 9 separate movies to burn on one DVD (placed 'main menu marker'/'stop marker' for each movie) using the 'Generic' DVD menu from the 'General' tab (in its original form with 6 main menu buttons but it expanded to 9 buttons on a second menu). Everything works fine except the 'Play all' button: It starts the first movie and returns to the main menu after it played. I have no 'scene markers' in any of the 9 movies. I have never used menu with 'Play all' before. I am still experimenting but would greatly appreciate if somebody would just tell me that this is a bug, or that I am doing something wrong. Thanks for any help, Laszlo.

• 1. Re: PE7 general/generic disk menu's 'Play All' button does not work?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Can you please post  screen-cap of your Timelne w/ the Menu Markers, and the Menu Set visible?

Likely, that will help someone tell you what needs to be done.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: PE7 general/generic disk menu's 'Play All' button does not work?
            LaciG Level 1

I am adding a screen capture to my question (following Bill Hunt's advice). Here I only used three 'movies' (shortened for the exercise), also, left 1-2 seconds gaps between the movies - with no avail. They play one-by-one from the main menu but when I am using the 'Play all' button, only the first movie plays and after then it goes back to the main (here the only) menu. In this case, I only checked with the 'Preview' option, but the original (9 movies) was checked with VLC Media Player and also on a DVD player. Thanks again, Laszlo.

Screen Shot.jpg

• 4. Re: PE7 general/generic disk menu's 'Play All' button does not work?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you. The very first problem that I see is the gap in your Video. By the DVD-specs, that is not allowed. If you want to have a space, use the Black Video, from the New icon, and fill that space. You can use Dip-to-Black Transitions to get there, but you do NOT want any gaps.

Good luck, and maybe others can see other issues. As I use Adobe Encore for all of my authoring, I am not the best person to comment on authoring in PrE.

Hunt

• 5. Re: PE7 general/generic disk menu's 'Play All' button does not work?
                LaciG Level 1

Bill, I used the space because someone somewhere (for some reason )

suggested it. I removed them but the 'Play All' button still plays only the

first 'movie' and then goes back to the main menu. In the meanwhile, I have

been doing extensive Internet search but other than editing some of the

files ready to be burn to DVD (what I do not have much inclination to do

anyway) I could find no reason why the elements would not work for 'Play

All". I am planning to buy the Premiere Professional CS4, and wonder if it

has this feature, or I have to buy the whole suit to do this? Thanks for

your replies - Laszlo.

• 6. Re: PE7 general/generic disk menu's 'Play All' button does not work?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

PrPro CS4 comes with one of the very best authoring programs available, Encore. You can do so very much with it, and can control every aspect of your navigation. Now, you will do more "by-hand," but with that will come almost ultimate power. I would not trade my Encore in for Sonic Scenarist, unless I could sell that, and buy Encore. BTW - the full-boat Sonic Scenarist is about US$150,000.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: PE7 general/generic disk menu's 'Play All' button does not work?
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You also have red stop markers on your timeline after each segment.

Whenever the program hits a stop marker, it will return to the viewer to the main menu -- even if they clicked Play All. A stop marker always means stop!

• 8. Re: PE7 general/generic disk menu's 'Play All' button does not work?
                      LaciG Level 1

I thought that the idea behind the 'Play All' feature is that even if we

have separate movies on the DVD and can play them one-by-one from the main

menu (this works, if we have a main menu marker at the beginning of each

movie and a stop marker at the end of each movie) we also can play all

movies at once with the 'Play All' button (this doesn't work). Taking out

the stop markers, the DVD plays all movies all right, but it does even if we

click just the button of the firs movie. (In this case, the main menu

markers act like the scene markers: they start the individual movie but

don't stop at its end. I think, I have to use the PrPro CS4 Encore as Bill

suggested. Thanks for the suggestion though - it is worth to try everything

before buying the pro version (and build an editing workstation (a la

Videoguys DIY 7.7 ). P.S. I tried 3 other 'multi movie' main menu

templates and none of them works (with or without the stop markers). Also

did search on the Internet and found no solution other than using an

independent software and go into some of the files 'burned' on a folder and

do some editing before burning on the disk. Is this not a bug in elements?

• 9. Re: PE7 general/generic disk menu's 'Play All' button does not work?

It's not a bug if it's part of the design.

Stop markers stop playback of the DVD and return the viewer to the main menu.

• 10. Re: PE7 general/generic disk menu's 'Play All' button does not work?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

As Steve says, a Stop Marker is the same thing as an End Action set to Stop in Encore. It does just that - stops the DVD.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: PE7 general/generic disk menu's 'Play All' button does not work?
                            LaciG Level 1

Thanks both of you for the replies. I am still in the dark about the role of

the 'Play All' button on some of the main menus. I thought that it is to

play all the movies as opposed to play only one of the movies. (Like in a

commercial DVD, where you can play a particular 'Special Feature' from the

list, or you can play all of them with just a single click on the 'Play All'

button.) If we can't do this in the Elements, then what the 'Play All'

button is for? I apologize for my insistence but I really would like to

understand what the 'Play All' button is supposed to do. (Also, sorry for

using the word 'bug' for something that is in the program by design. - The

only question is still: What this button is supposed to do?) Thank you,

Laszlo.

• 12. Re: PE7 general/generic disk menu's 'Play All' button does not work?

Well, the button is not "Play All". It's more accurately "Play Movie." And that's what it does. It plays the movie -- until it reaches a stop marker.

Unlike many dedicated DVD authoring programs, Premiere Elements uses a single timeline and a single video source. The only interactivity with this timeline and your DVD menus is through main menu markers, scene menu markers and stop markers.

As the other posters on this thread have indicated, there are more sophisticated (and expensive) dedicated DVD authoring apps that let you create branches, multiple levels of menus and playlists. If you're looking for more sophisticated and elaborate DVD programming, you may want to look into one of them.

I'm not sure what else to tell you, Laci. Short of Adobe including a separate, stand-alone "Elements" version of Encore with the program, there's just no way to make what you want to happen happen.

• 13. Re: PE7 general/generic disk menu's 'Play All' button does not work?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Laszlo,

If you do go with CS4 and Encore, there is a good forum for that program HERE. Two of the MOD's, Jeff Bellune and Neil Wilkes are experts in the program, Jeff having "written the book," The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe EncoreDVD 2.0, Focal Press. Though written for En 2.0, everything in that book applies to CS4. The only omissions are BD authoring, and the Adobe Dynamic Link to PrPro, which were not available with En 2.0. Those topics are well covered in the Help files, so one really does not miss much. Jeff steps one through all activities in En and then explains how to create various illusions, that by-pass the DVD-specs. and limitations - one does not really by-pass them, but the user will never know that. I strongly recommend that book, and seldom spend more than an hour on that forum, without my copy for reference.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: PE7 general/generic disk menu's 'Play All' button does not work?
                                  LaciG Level 1

Steve, Bill,

Thank you very much for the detailed explanations. Now I understand why I

can't do what I was trying to do with PE7.

Actually, I purchased the 'Adobe Encore DVD 2.0' program with the manual

'Adobe Encore DVD 2.0 User Guide for Windows' in 2005. I installed it then

but never used it because it crashed the Elements and I removed it. I will

try it again on my present 'clean and lean' OS installation. I guess, it

should do what Bill explained even with Elements7, shouldn't it?

Thanks again,

Laci.

• 15. Re: PE7 general/generic disk menu's 'Play All' button does not work?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Laci,

I run both PrE 4 and the entire CS2 Production Studio Suite on my laptop, and have had no issues. Now, when I installed PrE 4, it did kill CS2, but Adobe had a KB article, and a simple Repair Install for the CS2 Production Studio and all was good.

I also strongly recommend Jeff Bellune's Focal Easy Guide to Adobe EncoreDVD 2.0, Focal Press. It is a great book and will give you all sorts of tricks for DVD-Video authoring.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: PE7 general/generic disk menu's 'Play All' button does not work?

But remember -- Encore isnt' sold separately, so you'll likely have the buy the whole suite to get it! And that's pretty pricey.

As an alternative, you can buy DVD Architect Studio from Sony. It's only $39 if you download it from the site, and it can do many of the things the pro programs do. It makes a great companion for authoring DVDs from video created in Premiere Elements.

I liked it so much I wrote a book on it!

If you'd like to see how it works, check out my free Basic Training with DVD Architect Studio tutorials on Muvipix.com.

• 17. Re: PE7 general/generic disk menu's 'Play All' button does not work?
                                        LaciG Level 1

I have just registered on Muvipix (waiting for the activation key email).

Will order your book (I saw on the splash screen) from Amazon, and will

download the three tutorials. But, of course, I am a bit confused again: I

have the Adobe Encore DVD 2.0 (actually, my daughter bought it a couple of

year ago with her college ID - we were supposed to use it until the crash

that I mentioned). Is this another Encore? I will try both of your's

suggestions but I have to edit about two hours of video I took two years ago

in Hungary - my friends and relatives will kill me if I do not do it now

that I am retired ()... I will report on the Encore and/or Architect

Studio results soon.  Since now I have much more time then in the past, I

hope I will advance faster with all your help. Regards, Laci.

• 18. Re: PE7 general/generic disk menu's 'Play All' button does not work?

Thanks so much for supporting the site and the book, Laci!

No, it sounds like you have an older (but certainly perfectly good) version of Encore. Enjoy!

• 19. Re: PE7 general/generic disk menu's 'Play All' button does not work?
                                            LaciG Level 1

I just ordered 'The Muvipix.Com Guide To Dvd Architect Studio 4.5: A Guide

To Using Sony's Powerful Yet Affordable DVD Authoring Software (Volume 1)'

and 'The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe EncoreDVD 2.0' from Amazon. Will report

on success. Thanks, Laci.

• 20. Re: PE7 general/generic disk menu's 'Play All' button does not work?
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

If you have Adobe EncoreDVD 2.0 (academic, or not), you have the full program. There are only two differences between that program and Adobe Encore from CS4: EncoreDVD 2.0 cannot do BD (hence the name - EncoreDVD), and one will not have the Adobe Dynamic Link (ADL) between it, and PrPro (with which Encore CS4 is now bundled). Now, my EncoreDVD 2.0 has an early form of ADL, but that is because I got it with the CS2 Production Studio suite.

Personally, I find EncoreDVD 2.0 to be a wonderful authoring program. Note that it is all manual, as there are no wizards, or similar, and no semi-automatic authoring. However, that manual work pays great dividends - power to create an array of DVD-Videos, only limited by one's imagination and the DVD-specs. Even those can be "cheated on," with a bit of work. You do not really "cheat," but just create the illusion that you have done so. Now, there is one element missing - cell-level scripting, but it really takes some big $'s to get that, and for most users, they will never miss it. If it becomes important at some place, DVD Studio Pro does offer it, though do not think that it supports BD yet. It's about US$350 (without the easy interface of Encore), and the next level up from it, the entry-level Sonic Scenarist is about US$ 50,000. For their full-boat version, add another US$ 100,000.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 21. Re: PE7 general/generic disk menu's 'Play All' button does not work?
                                                LaciG Level 1

Thanks Bill! I think I will skip the 'cell level scripting' (whatever it

means ) and the likes (in the $100,000 neighborhood) and will install my

Encore 2.0 again (and hope it will not cause any trouble this time). (BTW, I

assume that once I understand the creation of a simple menu system and

navigation scheme, I can apply it in similar situations only by changing

thee number of chapters and submenus, etc. - am I right?) - Laci.

• 22. Re: PE7 general/generic disk menu's 'Play All' button does not work?
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Laci,

I will skip the 'cell level scripting' (whatever it means ) and the likes (in the $100,000 neighborhood) and will install my Encore 2.0 again (and hope it will not cause any trouble this time).

Where is your sense of adventure?

Did I mention Jeff Bellune's book, The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe EncoreDVD 2.0, Focal Press? If not, sorry. It is the very best book on Encore ever written, and will tell you everything that you would ever want to know. He covers what goes into a Photoshop PSD, used as a Menu, and how to control it, plus all sorts of hidden tips, and tricks.

Enjoy,

Hunt

PS - not sure if the academic version of EncoreDVD had the full set of Functional Content, with all the DVD Menus, etc. That could be slightly limiting to start, but the Menus are easy to create, though there are steps that MUST be followed, and naming conventions that must be used.

• 23. Re: PE7 general/generic disk menu's 'Play All' button does not work?
                                                    LaciG Level 1

Bill,

Bill, Yes, you mentioned it and I have already ordered it from Amazon (will

arrive in a week).

(As for my sense of adventure (): Large part of my sense of adventure was

exhausted 30 years ago, when I came to this country from Hungary as a 43

years old with a physics Ph.D. which was done on paper with pencil finding

the analytical solution of a system of dual integral equations to calculate

the conductivity of a cubic semiconductor crystal in week magnetic field -

and this is about all I remember of it now :-). The remaining part was used

up when I sit down first in my life to a PDP11-03 computer at Philips Labs

in Sunnyvale in 1980, and started programming it in Fortran using the consol

as interface and DEC's RSX11M operating system. (We booted it up from a

punch-tape - at least not with punch cards!) I was over 60 when I touched

the first PC in my life. Luckily for me, the basics of physics haven't

changed and I could use it Philips and at Intel in the last 30 years.)

Thanks for all the help again,

Laci.

• 24. Re: PE7 general/generic disk menu's 'Play All' button does not work?
                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Sounds like we are contemporaries. I'll bet that you remember what a Pickett Log-Log slide rule is?

Now, my first computer was a Wang "smart terminal," hooked into the engineering dept's network, for what it was. The ARPANET had just been connected.

Now, my mother installed the first Univac for the US Air Force, and punch cards were all the rage then.

I also shot the early "PC's," when IBM coined the term, "personal computer." HP was another big client, so I got to grow up with all that early stuff. Sometimes, after a major shoot, they'd just leave the stuff for us. Luckily, our business manager had some idea of how to actually USE those boxes.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 25. Re: PE7 general/generic disk menu's 'Play All' button does not work?
                                                        LaciG Level 1

Bill, It is a pleasure to meet somebody who knows what a slide rule is. In

high school, we used logarithmic tables - most of the kids couldn't afford a

slide rule then and there - and we just had to add up the logarithms of the

numbers to find the results of a multiplication, exponentiation, etc.

Now knowing that you are not one of those 20 year old wiz kids I respect

your knowledge in this field even more! - Laci. (BTW, did you know that the

'father of computers' - John von Neumann - was Hungarian and got all his

undergraduate education in Hungary?)

• 26. Re: PE7 general/generic disk menu's 'Play All' button does not work?
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Oh, somewhere I still have my copy of Smoley's Tables. It's probably right next to my Strength of Materials volumes, and my US Steel manual. Do not think that I still have either my API, or ASME Unfired Pressure Vessels manuals, but maybe in a box somewhere... ?

John von Neumann - was Hungarian and got all his undergraduate education in Hungary?

I seem to recall that, now that you mention it, though the knowledge probably came from the History Channel - sadly.

Though I played with computers growing up, and in my first career, I never really "got it." It was not until I saw my very first Scitex demo, that the light bulb illuminated. I realized that I was looking the future right in the eyes. The instant that image manipulation hit the PC, I had my copy of Aldus Photostyler. In short order, Adobe introduced Photoshop for the PC (version 2.5), and I never looked back. Though I still shot film (silver capture) for decades, almost every image went to my desktop for work, that I only dreamed of, back in the purely analog days. I resisted digital capture for about 10 years, and then my first digital camera was for my wife.

When I stepped into digital video editing, I had gone to heaven. I got a degree in film, and video was studio-only then. If one did record to tape (again studio ONLY), it was 2" and there was zero editing, except via the switcher in the control room. I hated video in those days, and embraced film as the only useful medium. Now, I can do things on my laptop with digital video, that I could never have dreamed of, way back when. That is one reason that I loose patience with some of the younger folk, who complain about a 2 hour Export. With film, we did not see anything for most of a work week, as it was all done in the lab on a film printer! Who knew?

Enjoy, and happy editing,

Hunt

PS - if you have any questions on Encore, there is a very good forum for it, and Jeff Bellune is one of the MOD's, plus a frequent contributor. Also, do not hesitate to PM me, as I think that I have committed every error, that one can make. Still, with hundreds of Projects completed and about 1700 DVD's delivered to clients, I must have learned something from Jeff and the others.

• 27. Re: PE7 general/generic disk menu's 'Play All' button does not work?
                                                            LaciG Level 1

Bill, Your last message is a very interesting and valuable history lesson even to older people (like me). A stupid question: How do I send a PM in this site to you? Thanks, Laci.

• 28. Re: PE7 general/generic disk menu's 'Play All' button does not work?
                                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Laci,

First, click on your icon/avatar, to get to your Profile. There, you will see a Personal Message tab, and from there you can do a new message. I am Bill Hunt, and that will basically e-mail me, through the site. I will get notification of a new PM.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 29. Re: PE7 general/generic disk menu's 'Play All' button does not work?
                                                                LaciG Level 1

Bill, I tried what you said but the system did not recognize 'Bill

Hunt' as a screen name and told me that 'The following users don't exists: Bill Hunt.' What did I do wrong? Thanks, Laci.

• 30. Re: PE7 general/generic disk menu's 'Play All' button does not work?
                                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Maybe instead, try "the_wine_snob," without the quotation marks.

That was my assigned screen name, when the fora made the changeover about 2 years ago. It had been BILL HUNT (note all caps), and then a very old screen name from the NNTP days surfaced. Recently, the forum decided to drop that and went to Bill Hunt, though when I tried to change to that screen name, I was informed that another user already had it.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - if that does not work, you can e-mail me at infoAThuntphotoDOTcom. Obviously, the AT = @ and the DOT = .

• 31. Re: PE7 general/generic disk menu's 'Play All' button does not work?
                                                                    LaciG Level 1

In the meanwhile, I installed Encore DVD 2.0 Educational Edition and created the following flowchart. First, I placed each movie (and the 'Play First' file) in separate timelines. From the main menu (using pre-designed menus) one can select the 'Play All' button (all the individual movies are linked one after the other), or the 'Movie Selection' button that leads to the sub menu the buttons of which are linked to each movie individually with a 'button override' that moves the control back to this menu at the end of each individual movie. Testing the flowchart worked. I will also try the Play List method next (following Bill's suggestion).

Much time was spent to edit the pre-designed menus. This is pretty straightforward in Encore. However, there is an issue I couldn't resolve yet: I can't render the motion menu (File/Render/Motion Menus): Using my own avi background, after the rendering process, it tries to 'read in' the avi file but it never ends and when I 'cancel' it, it comes back with an Operating System error (0x00000020) "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process". What file, and what another process? When I render the menu  with its own wmv file, it finishes it but comes back with a message "File Exists!". (This menu rendering didn't even worked in a separate project where I only tried the menu without any other assets and navigation.) I also tried the 'transcode' option for the wmv original motion background, and now the computer is in an infinite loop without any way to stop it. What am I doing wrong?

BTW, I run the Check Project and it found no problems.

Thanks for any help.

• 32. Re: PE7 general/generic disk menu's 'Play All' button does not work?
                                                                      LaciG Level 1

Well, I started to build the DVD (after removing the motion backgrounds from both the main- and the sub menus)  and I ran into the same problem: The Build Progress window showed the progress of the transcoding of the first avi file and then when it started 'importing' it into the project, it run into an infinite loop again (the only way to stop it was via the the Windows Task Manager). Should I reinstall Encore DVD 2.0? At this point, I ran out of any ideas. Please, help, Laci.

• 33. Re: PE7 general/generic disk menu's 'Play All' button does not work?
                                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

The error:

Operating System error (0x00000020) "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process".

Looks like a memory access issue. This could be RAM, or Virtual Memory (Page File). It could well be that another program, or Process did not either report its memory usage correctly, or did not release it, when it was done. Here are a couple of thoughts: this ARTICLE will give you tips on setting up your computer and getting it ready for an editing, or authoring session. The part about the file being in use has happened to me once, but first, let's look at another culprit - Windows Indexing. If you have it ON, turn it OFF. It is a "helper" program, that prowls the system, trying to index every file, but cannot do anything with AV files, or the working files of PrE, or Encore. That will not stop it from trying, and trying, and then coming back the instant that one is changed. While it struggles to index these large files, it locks them so no other program can access them. This can be a big problem.

Now, the one time that I saw the latter part of that error, was when I was using a Project as a "template." I had 17 almost identical DVD's to produce, so I set up an empty Project exactly as I wanted it, Imported some Menus that would be fairly common (number of Scene Selection Menus and text would be the only changes), and then did a Save_As. When I got to each of the Projects, I Opened this "template" and just did another Save_As with the Project's name and number. The first 15 did just fine. I'd Import the unique Assets and modify my Menus, and output to disc. Then on #16, when I went to do the Build/Burn - boom! that error. I searched around, and tested everything, but still that error. No one on the Encore forum had any ideas, that I had not tried. After a bit of time, I just Opened that "template" and Imported my Assets, plus the modified Menus from the failed Project and everything was perfect again. That was the only error that I have ever gotten in Encore, unless I pushed the wrong button. Redoing the Project worked perfectly, and even with those modified Menus. BTW - I already had Windows Indexing OFF, so that was not my issue.

Personally, if Windows Indexing is not the culprit, and the tips in that articles do not help, I'd just start over. Maybe this time, look into those Play Lists, instead of Overrides. While they can work, they can really mess things up badly. As of the introduction of Play Lists, and Chapter Play Lists, there is almost zero reason to use them.

As for your Motion Menu Video, tell me about it. I do these in DV-AVI and usually limit them to about 40 sec., though you can have them longer (PrE has a limit of 30 sec.). I also do NOT use muxed files for my Motion Menus. Instead, I will Export elemental streams, i.e. one Video-only file and one Audio-only file. Motion Menus can have Video, Audio or both, and it's done via that same Properties Panel.

Hope that this helps, and good luck,

Hunt

• 34. Re: PE7 general/generic disk menu's 'Play All' button does not work?
                                                                          LaciG Level 1

My Indexing Service has been disabled for a long time and I have large paging files on two internal hard drives. The bigger problem is that after transcoding, the same window changes to 'importing' the avi file and it is in an apparent loop (when the progress indicator is at the end) and when I cancel it, then it gives the error message of not being access the file. (I have the msxml6.dll file in my computer, so the old note from Steve is irrelevant in my case.) I am going to start the Play List build.

• 35. Re: PE7 general/generic disk menu's 'Play All' button does not work?
                                                                            LaciG Level 1

I logged in on CreativeCOW.net where I posted this problem. Jeff Bellune replied and directed me to this Adobe forum posting: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/398761?tstart=0, where Neil Wilkes advice (Symptom: Transcoding keeps getting to 99% or so, and reverting back to 75% and continuing Ad Infinitum in a seeming never-ending loop. Problem: The registry is corrupted. Solution: 1. Close all programs. 2. Run Regedit. 3. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> Adobe -> Common. 4. Delete "Media Cache". 5. Restart computer.) solved my problem (on a small test project so far).