6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2007 7:24 AM by Doc Raman

More sprite channels

LINiLund Level 1
      Hi, I'm building a planning simulator and need a lot of graphic objects. 1000 sprite channels is not enough. Any suggestions?
      /Lars i Lund
        • 1. Re: More sprite channels
          MughalShahzad Level 1
          I think you should keep your graphics in cost and call them when required and try to use containers for example if there are too many text boxes, fields try to change just values from cast instead of placing them on stage
          or
          Split your movie into parts
          I know its very poor solution but i wish to share with you may be it help you
          Best of luck,
          • 2. Re: More sprite channels
            Doc Raman Level 1
            The best bet is to just put together a lot of your graphics on the fly with imaging lingo. That way many things can all sit in one sprite.

Depending on what you are doing, you could also consider using LDMs (Linked Director Movies), or Flash sprites.
            • 3. Re: More sprite channels
              LINiLund Level 1
              The plan has more than 250 workorders that shall be produced on 5 workcenters. Each WO on the plan should be selectable. I cannot see that this can be done any other way? This is a web-application, Shockwaved. What can be done with Flash sprites?
              • 4. Re: More sprite channels
                Level 7

"LINiLund" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:fb13is$n1d$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > The plan has more than 250 workorders that shall be produced on 5
                > workcenters.
                > Each WO on the plan should be selectable. I cannot see that this can be
                > done
                > any other way? This is a web-application, Shockwaved. What can be done
                > with
                > Flash sprites?
                >

Hi,

if you really need to have 1000 sprites on the stage all at once, then I
                think your approach is maybe wrong.

For users it is probably impossible to handle all that info, and for you it
                is not possible to get it all on the stage, readable, understandable and
                all.
                How do you manage to keep track of those 1000 sprites yourself BTW?

Why not use a sort of pagination-method, or a master-details approach?
                What is in the sprites? Text? Graphics? Can you not reorganise the info?

Richard.

• 5. Re: More sprite channels
                  James Newton, ACP Level 3
                  You can use Film Loops and Linked Director Movies to nest sprite channels. Here's an article I wrote back in the days of Director 5, when there were only 48 channels (I was creating a music score editor, and needed a sprite for each note): http://director-online.com/buildArticle.php?id=154

Linked Director Movies are more powerful than film loops, but require that the movie be stored externally.
                  • 6. Re: More sprite channels
                    Doc Raman Level 1
                    I totally agree...1000 sprites should never be needed.

With a Flash sprite you can easily communicate with Director, so sometimes it is easier to build something in Flash that will dynamically create a lot of things inside it.

To see what can be done with single sprites using imaging lingo you may want to check out the One Sprite Widgets

http://www.lingoworkshop.com/Codelib/One_Sprite_Widgets.php?view=all