1 2 Previous Next 68 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2010 8:17 AM by affromr

audio timeline

affromr

WHEN I DRAG A CLIP ONTO THE TIMELINE AND AFTER ITS FINISHED RENDERING AND I PLAY THE CLIP I CAN'T HEAR THE AUDIO. THERE IS AUDIO WHEN I DOUBLE CLICK THE CLIP IN THE ORGANIZER SECTION THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

• 1. Re: audio timeline
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What are the codec DETAILS of "a clip" ???

• 2. Re: audio timeline

How to ask a question http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416679

This is aimed at Premiere Pro, but may help
            A link with many ideas about computer setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436215?tstart=0

And even more hardware discussion http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/hardware_forum

Work through all of the steps (ideas) listed at http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with the DETAILS asked for in the questions at the end of the troubleshooting link

• 3. Re: audio timeline
              affromr Level 1

How do you find the CODEC details of a clip?

Below are the specs of the laptop I'm working on

I have a Dell laptop Intel (R)Core (TM) 2 cpu, T7600@ 2.33 GHz, RAM 2.00 GB

We have video from a Panasonic Hard Drive camera as well as a Mini DVD camera

I imported the HD camera media directly from the camera into Premiere and the mini DVD I saved on my computer first.

Thanks and will wait for your reply

Allan Friesen

• 4. Re: audio timeline

>How do you find the CODEC details of a clip?

Work through all of the steps (ideas) listed at http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

There are questions, and links, at the end of that page

• 5. Re: audio timeline
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Allan,

Though it's in the articles that John T. referenced, you will want the great little utility, G-Spot. It will give you the full set of details on the file, and not just the CODEC's of the Audio and the Video.

Also, if you are getting the Audio in the Source Monitor, it could be something to do with your Audio Track's setting. This ARTICLE will give you some places to look, plus also some general Audio troubleshooting tips.

One of the things that strikes me is the mention of miniDVD. Along with the info in the other links, please go into a bit more detail on that, and where it fits into your workflow.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: audio timeline
                    affromr Level 1

Bill,

I downloaded ASI04ALL and the clip still does not have audio, it has audio in the source monitor, downloaded the headbands utility to try and give you some idea of the CODEC and when I specified the file, the codec in the audio portion of the utility stayed blank so not sure what happened there. Been through most of the other suggestions in the forums e.g. checking my audio setting on my computer etc., but the fact that I can hear audio when I use a simple playback should eliminate those issues?? Correct??

Should we have saved the file from the HD recorder directly on my computer instead of in Premiere? And then imported it into premiere?

Thanks again

Allan

• 7. Re: audio timeline
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Allan,

Most people, will Copy over the material for the camera's card, or HDD to the HDD of the computer, and then Import that into Premiere. Also, give Pr time to Conform the Audio and generate the PEK (Waveform Display) files. This can take some time to complete, based on the source files, their Duration and the speed of the computer. In PrPro, there is a progress bar in the lower-right of the GUI, that shows how much Conforming has been done. Do not know if that is present in your version.

Can you try that workflow and report - success, I hope.

Not having any Audio info in G-Spot is troublesome.

Also, when the Clip is in the Timeline, do you see the Waveform in the Audio portion of the Clip, or is it just flatline?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: audio timeline
                        affromr Level 1

Bill,

There is a rendering progress bar in the lower right hand corner,

About the waveform line it is just a flat orange line and when I click the "set audio track display style" (to the left of the audio timeline) it changes from flat orange line to a flat black line...don't know if that gives you any hints.

I will reload the files to my computer HD and then open them with VLC player and then import them into Premiere.

The clips still all play video and audio when I open them in the source monitor, the program is playing the clip with audio so what changes when I drag it into the timeline??, so I will try and load the files onto my HD and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for your help, will keep you informed

Allan

• 9. Re: audio timeline
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

If the Conforming did not complete, then you would not have the Audio in the Timeline to be edited. It would play from the source footage, un-Conformed, in the Source Monitor, or in VLC, etc. Playing is different, than is editing. Pr needs to get the Audio into 32-bit Floating Point for editing.

Hope that is all that it is.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: audio timeline
                            affromr Level 1

Copied the file from the Camera HD to the computer HD and got media from the computer HD, dragged it over to the timeline , made sure I let it load properly and still no audio. I got a song from the computer HD, a wma. file, and dragged it into audio 2 of the timeline and it played just fine, so it can play!.

So I guess we need to look at something else.

Just grasping at straws here but I analyzed the clip with gspot and it just lists info in the file and container sections

The file section shows:

Path:  C:\Users\My Dell\Videos\shane trish mar 3\stage pics1.MTS

Size: 74.9 MB (76,776 KB / 78,618,624 bytes)

The container section gives me the following info

File Type: MPEG-2 Transport Stream

Mime Type: video/mp2t

And again nothing as far as codec info in the video and audio sections

Thanks

Allan

• 11. Re: audio timeline
                              affromr Level 1

Should I consider calling Adobe support and spending some $ on some phone help/support?

Allan

• 12. Re: audio timeline
                                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

What version of Pr?  I missed that in earlier posts.

-Jeff

• 13. Re: audio timeline
                                  affromr Level 1

Hi Jeff,

It's Adobe Premiere Elements 8

Allan

• 14. Re: audio timeline
                                    Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Moved to the correct forum.

-Jeff

• 15. Re: audio timeline
                                      affromr Level 1

Should I start again with my issues in this forum?

• 16. Re: audio timeline
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

No need to post again, as Jeff got this moved over to PrE forum just fine.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: audio timeline
                                          affromr Level 1

Hi Jeff,

Here is a recap of my issue

I have a Dell laptop Intel (R)Core (TM) 2 cpu, T7600@ 2.33 GHz, RAM 2.00 GB

Version: Adobe Premiere 8

We have video from a Panasonic Hard Drive camera as well as a Mini DVD camera

When I drag a clip into my timeline there is no audio, just flat orange line

There is audio when I play the clip in the source monitor

I drag a song onto the timeline and I get audio

Steps I've done so far:

Loaded the assets onto my computer HD first then into Premiere 8 (instead of directly into Premiere 8)

I downloaded ASI04ALL and the clip still does not have audio,

Downloaded VLC media player hoping it would convert the file, no luck

Downloaded gstop to analyze the Codec of the file, below is all I got when I used gspot.

Path:  C:\Users\My Dell\Videos\shane trish mar 3\stage pics1.MTS

Size: 74.9 MB (76,776 KB / 78,618,624 bytes)

(Nothing in the audio or video sections regarding codec info)

Thanks for your time and will wait for your reply

Allan

• 18. Re: audio timeline
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

First, VLC is a player, and not really a converter.

If G-Spot cannot tell you anything about the Audio, then something is very wrong with that file. There should be a full compliment of data for that portion of the file, including the Audio CODEC and the Sample-rate and bit-depth. Lacking that, then something is corrupt with that file, or the info is beyond the capabilities of G-Spot, which is very broad in what it can report.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 19. Re: audio timeline
                                              affromr Level 1

Even if the clip plays in the source monitor okay? And I have 2 files I am working with, one from a HD camcorder and one from a miniDV camcorder and both assets have no audio in the timeline,

Thanks

Allan

• 20. Re: audio timeline
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

The Source Monitor is a playback mechanism, while the Program Monitor takes editing into consideration. They are similar, but there are differences.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 21. Re: audio timeline
                                                  affromr Level 1

Bill,

I have been reading through the different posts in the forums and noticed a few posts mentioned the input and output levels, is that a setting in Premiere 8 or on my computer?

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks

Allan

• 22. Re: audio timeline
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

In the Audio Mixer, one has several meters (in the analog days, these were referred to as VU Meters), one, or one set, per Audio Track, and then a set for the Master. These display a series of green bars up towards 0dB, where they turn yellow and then red. Red indicates Clipping.

Here's a look at the Audio Mixer:

Audio_Mixer_01.jpg

Though there is no signal in this example, you can see the location of the Levels Meters. Disregard the annotation to Mute, as that was for another poster. This is from PrE 4, so there could be some minor differences with PrE 8.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 23. Re: audio timeline
                                                      affromr Level 1

Bill,

I had 2 dvd's as assets, when I loaded the second one I got audio. So my settings are okay, so now I am dealing with a file conversion issue. So I will search the forums for a similar issue, unless you have a solution for me

Thanks again

Allan

• 24. Re: audio timeline
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Allen,

Are these two different DVD-Videos? If so, there could well be an issue with one, especially if it's from the first VOB. Besides the MPEG-2 muxed AV file, that one also contains all of the Menus and navigation. PrE is usually very good at extracting just the MPEG-2 portion, if it's a 100% DVD-compatible disc.

It could be that a workaround, like ripping just the Audio from the "bad" one, and then doing a Save_As PCM/WAV and Importing to replace the Audio in your Timeline, would work fine, with just a few more steps.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 25. Re: audio timeline
                                                          affromr Level 1

From the same mini dvd camera taped back to back, I just loaded the first one and being new to Premiere thought it all looked okay, then I dragged the second dvd onto to the timeline and it started conforming in the source monitor and then rendering so the waveform started showing right away. Also still have no audio from the HD camera (in the timeline) so if you have advice on how to convert files or what is the best file format to convert to. I am willing to spend $ on a file conversion program if needed by now.

Downloaded some online file conversion program and my computer crashed this afternoon so getting a little bit frazzeled

Thanks again for your help

Allan

• 26. Re: audio timeline
                                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Allen,

I know that you have done one recap, but for my feeble memory and mind, you have a Panny that is "HD." Is that a HDD (Hard Disk Drive) or an HD (High Def) camera? What are the full specs. of the Panny's files?

Note that if it is HD (High Def) and the other camera's output is SD (Standard Def), you will not be able to mix them in the same Project. The reason for this is that the Project's Preset must match the source footage 100%.

The full specs. on the Panny's files will likely hold the key.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 27. Re: audio timeline
                                                              affromr Level 1

It’s a HD Drive (60 GB) High Def camera

When I opened the properties (in my computer) of the file below is what I got. I will connect my camera and see what properties are in the camera file, will email that shortly

Type of File: VLC media file (.mts) (.MTS)

Size: 1.78 GB (1,920,141,312 bytes)

• 28. Re: audio timeline
                                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, am I correct that you are trying to use both SD and HD in the same Project?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 29. Re: audio timeline
                                                                  affromr Level 1

Yeah I think so, I borrowed a camera from a friend and gave it back, I will check if it's High Def tomorrow

This is the camera Hard Drive:

F:\AVCHD > BDMV > STREAM > and then all the clip files appear numbered 0000 to 0029

Location : F:\AVCHD\BDMV\STREAM

Type of File: VLC media file (.mts) (.MTS) so I guess the default player in my computer is taking over

thanks

Hope this helps you and hope your patience with me is holding up okay!!

• 30. Re: audio timeline
                                                                    affromr Level 1

Wanted to ask you this before, do I need to have elements autoanalyzer running in the background? Heating up my laptop pretty good

• 31. Re: audio timeline
                                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                                      do I need to have elements autoanalyzer running in the background?

This is a question for another user. I do not have PrE 8, and do not know this feature. Sorry.

Hunt

• 32. Re: audio timeline
                                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

When one has footage from totally different cameras, they will want to do one Project for one type, and then another Project for the other. There are some considerations, but then one would Export/Share from each Project in the appropriate format, and then Import the resulting AV files into a third Project, with the proper Preset.

PrE's "big-brother," PrPro does make it a bit easier, as it will allow, as of CS4, one to have Sequences (think of mini-Projects within one "master" Project) of different Presets, and HD, or SD material in one place. Still, one must make a determination as to what the Export settings will be.

If I had SD material and HD material, I would go for SD as the final output, as up-scaled SD to HD looks very bad. Down-rezed HD to SD is better, though not perfect. Mixing will yield odd and probably not acceptable results.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 33. Re: audio timeline
                                                                          BBC_Big_Black_Cat

Hello Alan and Hunt,

I am using Premier Elements 1.0 and am having the same problem with no audio in the timeline.  When I add an mpeg to the media box, it will play fine (with audio) in the clip monitor. But, when I drag the clip into the timeline, the audio bar is flat yellow (no sound at all).  To get around this, I have to open the mpeg with Windows Movie Maker and resave it onto my computer. Then the audio is recognized in the Premier Elements timeline.  Please tell me why this is and what I need to do to fix it.  It's a real pain in the butt!

Thanks very much,

Paul

• 34. Re: audio timeline
                                                                            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Version 1 of Premiere Elements did not include the ability to work with MPEG source files, Paul. You'll be best converting the file to a DV-AVI using MPEG Streamclip or upgrading to a newer version of the program and using the DVD/Hard Drive project preset.

• 35. Re: audio timeline
                                                                              affromr Level 1

Good information guy's, I will try this. Paul, you open the A/V file in windows media player and then save but I can't even play the clip in WMP. The weird thing is I had 2 mini DVD's as my source as well as a Hard Drive camcorder file and only the 1 mini dvd got sound onto the timeline. All clips play fine in the source monitor.

I am completely hung up on my project and don't know which way to turn next.

Thanks

Allan

• 36. Re: audio timeline
                                                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Windows Movie Maker (WMM) is included on most PC's. This is a different program than WMM Live, which now seems to be the version in Win7, and it gets a lot of negative reviews. I believe that the older WMM is available on the MS site, but do not know how it might, or might not, coexist with WMM-Live.

WMM handles MPEG AV files better, as it does WMV AV files. I would look into using it as a "conversion" program, and Import to it, assemble on the Timeline, and then Export as a DV-AVI for Standard Def. (SD) material. Note: WMM will Export as a DV-AVI Type I, and not the better Type II, but Premiere has few issues with Type I's. About the worst issue is Out Of Sync (OOS), and it is usually static, not dynamic, i.e. drifting OOS. This ARTICLE will give you tips on fixing OOS.

When I am handed almost any file format/CODEC, that is not DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV, I use a conversion program, DigitalMedia Converter, but it is shareware. There are good freeware converters available, and Prism gets high marks here. One great feature of DMC is that it offers batch conversion, and will ingest all sorts of different formats/CODEC's. I load it up, check my settings and location, and just start it and forget it for a few minutes. When I come back, all is done, and ready to Import into Premiere.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 37. Re: audio timeline
                                                                                  BBC_Big_Black_Cat Level 1

Thank you Steve and Alan,

I have a Sony HandiCam that uses the mini DVD's.  When I connect the camera to my computer via hardwire, the camera saves a copy onto my computer in MPEG form.  If I open the file in Windows Movie Maker and save it again as an MPEG and reopen it with PE, the audio will work in the timeline. I also have a program called UtubeGrabber where I can grab a Utube video and save it as an MPEG on my computer and they work fine in PE.

There was a post on Google that I lost.  It gave instructions on how to open the PE program through the control panel and when I did that, the MPEGS worked.

Still here working in slo mo. Thanks guys

Paul

• 38. Re: audio timeline
                                                                                    nealeh Level 5

the_wine_snob wrote:

Windows Movie Maker (WMM) is included on most PC's. This is a different program than WMM Live, which now seems to be the version in Win7, and it gets a lot of negative reviews. I believe that the older WMM is available on the MS site, but do not know how it might, or might not, coexist with WMM-Live.

Cheers,
                                                                                    --
                                                                                    Neale
                                                                                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 39. Re: audio timeline
                                                                                      affromr Level 1

Could part of my problem be that I am working on a laptop and the horsepower is not quite there?

My system specs are:

Intel Core 2 CPU T7600 @ 2.33 GHz

RAM 2.00 GB

Thanks

Allan

1 2 Previous Next