11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2010 10:15 AM by the_wine_snob

No audio upon file import

Sean1082

I am trying to edit a movie to gather clips from it. I am using Premiere Pro CS4. I am trying the following: Dragging the video from the Media Browser onto the timeline and also going to File >> Import and importing the video file. Neither of these work to produce audio in the clip. The odd time, I see the bars move, indicating it is picking up some sound, but throughout the movie, it isn't picking anything up, nor is ANYTHING playing. I get the following error when I try to drag a file onto the timeline: File importer detected an inconsistency in the file FILENAME.avi. Reading and writing the file's metadata (XMP) has been disabled. I tried gathering a small portion of the movie and exporting it so see if there was audio, and nothing. The original file, of course, has audio and it sounds great.

Any help would be appreciatied in fixing this. I need these clips for a school project this week.

• 1. Re: No audio upon file import
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Can you please tell us the full details of your Assets, and then your Project/Sequence Preset. The more detail, the better.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: No audio upon file import
            Sean1082 Level 1

What do you mean by assets?

For the sequence settings I have: DV - NTSC >> Standard 48kHz

• 3. Re: No audio upon file import
              the_wine_snob Level 9

By Assets, I mean the source footage, whether Captured, or Imported. The more details, the better. If you need to gather that info, you can rely on the free utility, G-Spot, to get it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: No audio upon file import
                Sean1082 Level 1

Alright, ran the file through the program, and just took a screenshot of the window, considering I am not 100% sure what you are looking for: http://fr.tinypic.com/r/14v4vvp/6

• 5. Re: No audio upon file import
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, your source footage is Xvid. This is delivery-only material, and is not designed to be edited. Even with the proper CODEC installed, PrPro cannot fully utilize it for editing. For some background on CODEC's, see this ARTICLE. Conversion to DV-AVI Type II is your best choice.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: No audio upon file import
                    Sean1082 Level 1

How unfortunate and dissapointing. Thanks for your help though. Really appreciate it. Saved me a lot of time with screwing around in the program.

• 7. Re: No audio upon file import
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, Xvid is the open source cousin to DivX. It is a good, heavily-compressed delivery format for streaming media. However, it does not usually Import, or edit well. Usually, one gets only video, and no audio, or the opposite. Seems to change with the phases of the Moon.

Now, when handed this material, if there is no better available, I use DigitalMedia Converter to convert to DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio. I like it, especially for its batch conversion, and also because it does not add any new CODEC's, so it needs the proper ones installed. However, it is not freeware. There are other recommended freeware converters, and Prism comes to my mind. I have never used it, so cannot comment.

Good luck, and with conversion, you should get both audio & video, with the DV-AVI Type II. Note: Xvid is heavily-compressed, so there is a major quality hit already. Conversion will NOT reclaim that. However, that considered, you should be able to do the editing fine. I have had no issues.

Good luck, and glad to save you the time.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: No audio upon file import
                        Sean1082 Level 1

I am using Prism which seems to have a decent video converter. I'll keep you updated.

• 9. Re: No audio upon file import
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Please do. It gets very high marks, and is even listed in the FAQ's for PrElements. I have not heard any complaints, but just do not know the program.

When I find something that works for me, I tend to stick with it, and do not go out looking for substitutions. Same with my service providers. If they do a good job at a fair price, it takes a lot for me to jump.

Good luck, and please let us know how it goes. Just remember that quality hit, that has already taken place.

Hunt

• 10. Re: No audio upon file import
                            Sean1082 Level 1

I tried converting the files. (to .mpg and .avi) and they both (The video is split up into 2 video files) have audio that works (in raw file and video editing) up until 30 seconds on each. I have no idea what is wrong now, but I have pretty much given up.

Thanks for your help however.

• 11. Re: No audio upon file import
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Sean,

In your conversion program, you probably have the option to Convert to elemental/elementary streams, i.e. one Video-only, and one Audio-only file. The setting to Multiplex (mux) these is likely unchecked/turned OFF. Same thing can happen, when one Exports from AME - you have to choose Multiplexing. If set to None, you get two files. Look for a Multiplexing tab, or dialog screen in the settings Panel. That is likely set to None, or similar syntax.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - for SD material, you will want DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio, and muxed.