7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2010 12:34 AM by Mylenium

Cannot Start Trial Version

Sinuxx

Hey,,

I recently downloaded and installed the 30 day trial version of After Effects CS4. After installation I click on the AE icon and a popup comes up and says that liscensing for this product has expired. I have never downloaded AE before, so I looked around on the forums to see if anyone else had this problem, and didn't find anything. If anyone has a solution any suggestions would be great Thanks!

• 1. Re: Cannot Start Trial Version
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Please be more specific. What computer? What operating system? Is there any other adobe software on the system? Did you ever run other Trials of Adobe products?

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Cannot Start Trial Version
            Sinuxx Level 1

Im running a new dell laptop (only about 6 months old) with windows seven. Yes I tried a trial version for Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 when I first got my laptop, but never bought it and deleted it after the trial was up. As for other Adobe products, I think I might have like Adobe Acrobat Reader or something like that, but thats about it.

• 3. Re: Cannot Start Trial Version

Yes I tried a trial version for Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 when I first got my laptop, but never bought it and deleted it after the trial was up.

Most definitely the issue. Not removing the trial before it expired has locked your licensing system. Unfortunately there is almost no way to revive it at this point, even more so as AE and Premiere share specific components that might cause additional installer conflicts. You can try resetting/ re-initializing the licensing sub-system as described on the knowledge base, but it may not work. for everything else you will need a proper serial number. Of course you can completeley reformat your computer and erase all traces of previously installed trials, if you have time to waste...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Cannot Start Trial Version
                Sinuxx Level 1

Hmm. Then how come I used to be able to download trial versions of Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and Soundbooth at different times and deleting them all after my trial time was up? And if this is the case, why would Adobe make it so that if you run out of trial time, that you can't download any other program for a trial period? I understand they want people to buy their products, but it seems to me that they would be smart enough to figure out a way so that after you start your trial version that you can't trial the same program, but at the same time trial another program. I test these programs for my school, and try to make a case about wether or not they should purchase the particular program I'm testing. Thanks for your help

• 5. Re: Cannot Start Trial Version

Unfortunately the installer and licensing system are twitchy and riddled with issues, to put it mildly. The problem in your case most likely is, that the video products share specific CoDecs e.g. to be able to use or output MPEG file formats and that one such sub-component tells the main program "No, can't do." and waits for a serial. Other products use a different set of installers and do not use such components (but others). It's really a wild mix of possible combinations that is at play here and makes it so messy. As I already said, a lot of that will go away if you have a serial, though of course this doesn't help you at the moment...

Mylenium

• 6. Re: Cannot Start Trial Version
                    Sinuxx Level 1

Yea I understand. Thanks for your help!

PS If I did have a serial how would I put it in because the popup saying "Licensing blah blah" comes up before anything even opens. Or would I just have to download it again?

• 7. Re: Cannot Start Trial Version

You can delete the PCD files as explained in the knowledge base article. you should then be presented with the license agreement again and a screen that asks for the serial. if this doesn't work, uninstall everything, run the CS4 Clean Script and reinstall with the serial.

Mylenium