6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2010 2:32 PM by Steve Grisetti

Does PE8 change the orignal file?

KippiWaters

Let's say I have a 500MB file with only 100MB of usable material.   I used to use IMAGEMIXER to trim unwanted sections for clips before moving them into PE4.  These compiled files loose audio in PE8.

So, my question is this... does PE8 have a clipping tool that actually clips the original file?  Makes it smaller?  So we don't have massive amount of unwanted data in storage?

• 1. Re: Does PE8 change the orignal file?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Premiere Elements is a non-destructive editor. That means that it never changes the original file.

When you are done editing, the program renders and outputs a brand-new file, based on the effects and editing you applied.

• 2. Re: Does PE8 change the orignal file?
            KippiWaters Level 1

So, seems there is a need for a program to slice unwanted footage from files.  Just a clean cut.  Often I have 30 seconds of usable footage in a 10 minute clip.

• 3. Re: Does PE8 change the orignal file?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

The PrE Project file (PREL), is but an XML database, with links to the original Assets, and then instructions on what data is required from them, plus what one wishes to do with them. This ARTICLE will give you some background on that, plus give you a run-down of the various Save functions and what they do.

If you wish to replace original AV files, with Trimmed ones, you would do that by first editing, and then doing an Export/Share to the HDD. Once done, and tested, one could then Delete the originals. Personally, I would archive these to an external HDD, unless they were Captured from miniDV tape, and you have the tapes safe and stored properly.

If you do Trim your original footage, with plans on replacing the originals, and then doing further editing, I strongly recommend that you read up on Handles, and take them into consideration. You will want extra Frames for each Trimmed Clip in your new AV file, or Transitions will not work, as intended. Do not edit too tightly, and leave maybe 1-2 sec. of extra footage for later. If not, you will be in for a very bad surprise.

Here's some discussion on Handles, but I'd read up on them, until the concept is very clear to you:

Handles_01.jpg

Handles_02.jpg

I am not that familiar with the PrE Archiver, but in PrPro, the Project Manager (same thing as Archiver) offers the ability to include the Trimmed source footage, and also specify the Duration of the Handles. You might want to read up on Archiver, as it might be just what you want.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Does PE8 change the orignal file?
                KippiWaters Level 1

Thank you.  This is very exciting.  I took a PE4 course from lynda.com and I do not recall this info.  This solves many problems for me.

• 5. Re: Does PE8 change the orignal file?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I'm glad that we were able to share it with you.

Sometimes, I do muddy the waters, as I try to anticipate how someone might run afoul of things later on, though they followed the directions to the letter. Maybe it is because I have made most of those same mistakes and have felt that sinking feeling personally - I did what? But wasn't that what the book said to do?

The concept of Handles on Clips is a bit abstract at first, but plays such a big role, when using Transitions. Back when I started, everything was in film. Transitions were simple, and mechanical/optical things. It was easy for me to grasp Handles there, because I had two rolls of film, each to be printed onto one release print. When I got to video, there was an "oh yeah" moment. I remember that. Then I started hearing others, who were getting bad Transitions and could not figure out what was wrong. They had edited too tightly, or had not shot quite enough tape, to do what they wanted to do. Handles.

Good luck, and let us know if the Archiver will do some of the work for you too.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Does PE8 change the orignal file?
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

And don't forget to check out my free Basic Training with Premiere Elements tutorials on Muvipix.com!

They should get you up to speed on the basics of using this program.