7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2010 11:45 PM by Mike Sargent

HELP - Strange Rounded Rectangle Behavior - Cannot Select Anchor Points

theveed

Good day to all of you, I hope someone can help me out.

I have a strange problem with my CS3 Illustrator.

I've been working on an illustration for hours with no problems and the graphic requires me to make a lot of "buttons". I used the Rectangle Shape tool along with STYLIZE >> ROUNDED CORNERS to create different button shapes with no problems whatsoever.

All of a sudden (without closing AICS3), all of my NEWLY CREATED rectangles behaved strangely.

None of my new rectangles allowed me to select the anchor points individually. As you know, when you create a rounded rectangle, you'll end up with 8 anchor points (2 per corner) compared to 4 anchor points in a normal rectangle. In this case, all my new rounded rectangles only show 4 anchor points.

When I choose the Direct Selection tool (white arrow), I can't select on the path itself and only the bounding box appears (with WHITE corner points, not black). Adjusting this bounding box skews/distorts my rectangle, while adjusting with the black arrow scales the rectangle. I can't use the Scissors tool either. I can't add/delete a path using the Pen tool either.

I can't choose the individual anchor points at all.

All the "older" generated rectangles are fine, I can select each path and anchor point individually, but any subsequent rectangles don't allow me to do so.

To add to the confusion, this only occurs with rectangles. As you can see with the image below. I can create any simple or complex paths/shape and I can select the individual anchor points with no problems. I can use the Scissor tool with no problems or even the pen tool to add/delete a path to all the other shapes BUT the rounded rectangle...

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/theveed/Untitled-1-12.gif

Only the rounded rectangle tool shows the "blue" anchor points. Note that all four shapes were selected using the Direct Selection (White arrow) tool. If I used the black arrow, then the selection should've been OUTSIDE the black lines of the rounded rectangle.

What's going on? I've deleted the AIPrefs, it's not CTRL-H, i'm really stumped...

Please help. Thanks a lot

Dave

• 1. Re: HELP - Strange Rounded Rectangle Behavior - Cannot Select Anchor Points
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          As you know, when you create a rounded rectangle, you'll end up with 8 anchor points (2 per corner) compared to 4 anchor points in a normal rectangle. In this case, all my new rounded rectangles only show 4 anchor points.

Yeah, as it should be. Round Corners is an effect and unrelated to the native rounded rectangle tool. In order to acces the paths, the effect needs to be expanded using Object --> Expand.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: HELP - Strange Rounded Rectangle Behavior - Cannot Select Anchor Points
            Mike Sargent Level 2

You are applying the rounded corners via a live effect, therefore, you need to go to Object > Expand appearance before you can access the anchor points.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: HELP - Strange Rounded Rectangle Behavior - Cannot Select Anchor Points
              Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

theveed,

In addition: you should be able to DirectSelect each of the Anchor Points forming the underlying rectangle and move it, making the effect adapt. If you work on the expanded Anchor Points, things may become rather ugly rather quickly, so is an expansion actually desirable?

• 4. Re: HELP - Strange Rounded Rectangle Behavior - Cannot Select Anchor Points
                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Did anyone say it was round corner effect?

What you want to do in the first place is to go to the Tools Panel and select the rounded rectangle tool.

Use that to draw the rounded rectangle so you get what you expect.

BTW you weren't testing us were you?

• 5. Re: HELP - Strange Rounded Rectangle Behavior - Cannot Select Anchor Points
                  theveed Level 1

Wade - I'm not "testing" anyone. The question was genuine. The reason I opted to use STYLIZE >> Rounded corners is so that I can alter the "roundness" of the corners after-the-fact, which I can't do with the rounded rectangle tool without moving the anchor points individually.

Mike and Mylenium - Thank you so much. That fixed my issue. Can you explain why this step is required? Is it because an effect has been added?

Jacob - Thanks for the advice and for your assistance.

Thank you again.

Dave

• 6. Re: HELP - Strange Rounded Rectangle Behavior - Cannot Select Anchor Points
                    Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

That was a question although not a serious one, it points out a small misunderstanding about what you were instructed to do.

Once you flatten the transparency you no longer have the live effect applied to the shape so you cannot use the effect to change the round corner radius
                    and so you are back to essentially using the the rounded rectangle tool. Only your path will not now be a stroke but a filled path.

However there is a little trick you can use that will essentially give you both the original path and the effect>Convert Shape>Rounded Rectangle over it. But the advantage here is only that you can align bject as if it were a path only and not an effect since the effect mimics the shape of the tool made.

You can also still change the radius and if you wanted to get back to the original you can turn off the effect at any time and the turned it back on again, in CS 4 that is.

Also with this method if you use the handles to make adjustments you will not get the adjustments you expect. You can however turn the effect off an work on the original path made with the rounded rectangle tool.

What you are actually looking for is something known as a primitive not only would it allow you to do what you want but you would also be able to adjust the individual corners independent of one another.

It is a long time feature request.

So there really is no way to do what you want to do.

BTW if you expand the appearance you will get a stroke but yu will nt be able to use the effect to adjust the corners.

• 7. Re: HELP - Strange Rounded Rectangle Behavior - Cannot Select Anchor Points
                      Mike Sargent Level 2

Dave

For my part you are welcome and as Wade pointed out , it is because you applied the live effect the graphic has to be expanded to get to the anchor points.

Wade: Where you now?, are you up late in the States or up early over this side of the world?