7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2010 12:20 PM by Jeff Bellune

.TOD deinterlacing how too needed

pgagolfer13

I have a JVC camcorder that outputs video 1920x1080 60i .tod file format. Is there a way to have a script deinterlace this and then output it into a new file or atleast into Premiere CS4

Thanks

Scott Pussehl

Video Production Student

• 1. Re: .TOD deinterlacing how too needed
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Why would you deliberately throw away half your vertical resolution by deinterlacing?

• 2. Re: .TOD deinterlacing how too needed
            pgagolfer13 Level 1

What i want to do is change my 1920x1080 60i into 60p

• 3. Re: .TOD deinterlacing how too needed
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Why? 60P is not a legal BR format. And why effectively making your resolution 1920 x 540?

• 4. Re: .TOD deinterlacing how too needed
                pgagolfer13 Level 1

I am becoming very confused, isn't interlaced video effectively half the resolution of progressive. And when you deinterlace interlaced video it separates the A and B fields and then creates the pixel data where it took out the other field. So when you deinterlace you are actually creating a higher quality video. Is this correct. If so how can I do this with a .TOD video file from a JVC camcorder

More questions

What is BR format, only think I can think of is Bit Rate?

60i is effectively 30p?

progressive scan is better for fast motion like skiing and golfing?

Thanks for all of your help

• 5. Re: .TOD deinterlacing how too needed
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Interlaced (1080i base) consists of 540 lines for lower fields and 540 lines for upper fields, or 1080 lines total per frame. These fields are temporally offset, but the frame still comprises full 1080 resolution. When de-interlacing Adobe throws away all upper fields (or lower fields) and then duplicating the remaining ones to the ones thrown away and that effectively reduces vertical resolution by 50%.

Look at this array: 0-1-0-1-0-1-0-1-0-1 etc.

Now throw out all 0's and you end up with 1-1-1-1-1. That halves your vertical resolution.

Now duplicate all fields and you end up with: 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

That is in essence what PR does when de-interlacing.

Progressive is way worse than interlaced for fast moving video.  Conversion is bad to begin with, but when you have fast moving objects or fast pans, you only introduce huge stutters in the movie. For interviews or slow moving shots, progressive may look nice to some (giving it a more filmlike expression is often claimed, but personally I disagree.) but most would not even notice it. The loss of sharpness most will notice.

Especially for sports progressive is far worse than interlaced.

BR = Blu ray

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: .TOD deinterlacing how too needed
                    pgagolfer13 Level 1

Now i know using a good deinterlacer (such as Yadif) not the one inside adobe, it will interpolate the data lines that should be between the "1's" in the array 1-1-1-1-1-1.

So you would then create a the same resolution but without the offset, therefore looking better than interlaced and the adobe deinterlacer.

A link to Yadif, how it works

http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/yadif

So does anybody know how to apply something like this to the .tod files from a JVC camcorder to create the 60p video?

Thank you for your time

• 7. Re: .TOD deinterlacing how too needed
                      Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

If you can find a version of VirtualDub, or a plug-in for VirtualDub,

that will accept .tod files, then yadif, yadifmod, NNEDI2, TomsMoComp

and all sorts of others will do your quality deinterlacing via AviSynth.

However, to get 60p from 60i, you'd need to not only interpolate fields,

you'd have to interpolate an entire extra frame between existing frames,

since 60i only runs at 30 fps.

If you're feeling adventurous and you have a couple of free hours

available to you, Dan Isaacs' dv2film filter for AviSynth has this

capability.  You'll need to delve deeply into the dv2film.txt file

that's included in the zip file to get the command parameters.

Get dv2film here: http://3dvp.com/dv2film.zip

-Jeff