7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2010 5:18 PM by ramble_88

Canon HV20 isn't recognised

ramble_88

Hello,

I hope someone here can help me out.

I have just downloaded the trial of Premiere Pro CS4 as I am looking to purchase Adobe's Production Premium Suite.  I used the CS3 suite whilst I was at University and everything worked perfectly fine for me.  I opened Premiere Pro last night to capture footage off my Canon HV20 camcorder and the device wasn't recognised.  I kept getting a message telling me to reset the device.  Has something changed from CS3 that couuld cause this problem?

I really hope it is something I am doing wrong and isn't the software as I really don't want to change my camera.

Regards

David

• 1. Re: Canon HV20 isn't recognised
          Harm Millaard Level 7

The trial does not support anything MPEG. You can only capture DV.

Glad you asked this question, because now this is the 2,172-th time this has been answered. A new record, because downloaders of the trial version do not read the limitations.....

• 2. Re: Canon HV20 isn't recognised
            ramble_88 Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.  Will read the limitations in the future, however wasn't aware there were any limitations on the trial software. I thought it said it was the full version but only lasted 30 days.

Glad your keeping count

• 3. Re: Canon HV20 isn't recognised
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Those are the limitations, with the exception of the lack of anything MPEG. This is due to a licensing charge from MainConcept. Adobe elected to NOT pay those royalties for the trial.

Now, if one wants the full-boat, including Encore the great authoring program, Adobe offers a 30-day, money-back guarantee. If you return the program, before that 30-day trial lapses, Adobe will refund the purchase price. This gets one everything.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Canon HV20 isn't recognised
                Harm Millaard Level 7

I'm sorry, I should have said:

Welcome to the forums.

Congratulations

You are the new champion with your first post.

and then the rest of the blah-blah.

It is easily overlooked on the Adobe site, but I do hope you can understand the sarcasm when nearly everyday the same question arises and the question comes up for the umpteenth time.

I wish Adobe would make that a bit more obvious, instead of hiding it somewhere in the FAQ section, but that request is falling on deaf ears.

• 5. Re: Canon HV20 isn't recognised
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm,

I agree that Adobe should do a bit better job of making that limitation VERY clear. Maybe the new Product Manager will change that... [Inside joke from the Lounge.]

However, if they did, then I would only have about 5% of the "Correct Answer Points," that I do.

To the OP - obviously, you are not the first to not pick up on that limitation, nor will you be the last. I think that a flashing neon banner needs to be added with an "OBTW - there is nothing MPEG allowed in the trial."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Canon HV20 isn't recognised
                    ramble_88 Level 1

Thanks Guys.

Much appreciated.

David

• 7. Re: Canon HV20 isn't recognised
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

You are most welcome.

Good luck,

Hunt