4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2010 11:40 AM by Harm Millaard

What is Premeire doing on drive C?

AudioEditor Level 1

I understand about scratch tracks, I thought! All of mine are set to drive E which is a fast terabyte internal esata drive.  Premiere CS4 will stop playing audio suddenly and I get a system error that my drive space on drive C is low.  I clear off space on drive C and I get audio playback once again.

Today I was rendering a blu-ray out to drive E and adobe media encloder just stops halfway through the output render and again I get a "space is low on drive C" warning.

I don't get this. What is Premeire doing on drive C that I don't know about. Everywhere I can set a scratch track it is to drive E.  My7 C drive isn't very large because I only intended to store the programs on it and not rendering files to it.  Can someone tell me what is going to C and why it keeps stopping the actions of Premiere because space is low?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: What is Premeire doing on drive C?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

What is your D drive? PR uses the Win7 environment variable to store temp files and by default that is on the C drive, quickly filling it up during encoding, especially with smaller boot disks. I may not be typical in my storage setup, but I have reset my environment variables to point to my D drive, which is a 2 disk raid0, removing a lot of activity from my C drive to D. My E drive (12 disk raid30) handles all the rest.

When you start a queue in AME these temp files are used, so you may continue working in your PR project, while AME encodes the batch list. If this is still using C (as by default) you may get into trouble with space and response times. So, what is your disk setup?

• 2. Re: What is Premeire doing on drive C?
            AudioEditor Level 1

My C drive is only 74 gigs, I have a G drive where I store elements, it

is 500 gigs, my

E drive is 1 tb and that's what I havew all scratch discs assigned to.

D is a blu-ray burner and there's another DVD burner. I also have 2.7tb raid but it's not reliable enough to trust with my environment variable.

Is it hard to redirect Premiere to use another drive? What about Encore and AME? Do you have to do them all separately or are you just changing the entire computer to use another drive for this purpose? Is this dangerous for any other applications? How do you do it?

Thanks!

• 3. Re: What is Premeire doing on drive C?
              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

It's likely that your media cache files are the problem.  In Edit | Preferences, where does Premiere say it's going to store the media cache files?  The smart solution is to store them next to the media files.  But that's not the default setting.  The database can safely reside on C:, but if you have Pr set up to store the cache files on C:, then you could run out of space rather quickly.

-Jeff

• 4. Re: What is Premeire doing on drive C?
                Harm Millaard Level 7
                I also have 2.7tb raid but it's not reliable enough to trust with my environment variable.

That may be indicative of pending problems. What are the symptoms?

Is it hard to redirect Premiere to use another drive? What about Encore and AME? Do you have to do them all separately or are you just changing the entire computer to use another drive for this purpose? Is this dangerous for any other applications? How do you do it?

Pretty simple. Go to Control Panel/System and Security/System/Advanced system settings and in the Advanced tab you see Environment Variables in the bottom. Click on it and a new screen opens. There you add two new variables:

TEMP, pointing to <drive letter>:\Temp and

TMP,  pointing to <drive letter>:\Temp

Click OK, exit and restart. Then all temp files will be redirected to this drive and directory, lessening the burden on your C drive, improving response times and with no negative effect on any program. These are OS wide variables and used by all programs.