4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2010 10:23 PM by M.R.Biesheuvel

Am I complicating an easy system?

MichaelCo Level 1

I am building a website which will have pages with several different page layouts - for example  -   layout a, layout b, layout c, layout d etc.

They will all have the same title bar and navigation bar.

Layout a may have 2 divs and wll probably be for home page.

Layout b may have 2 divs of a different size to those in Layout a. There will be a lot of pages in this style.

Layout c may have 3 divs and a totally different look from Layout a and b. There will be a lot of pages in this style.

Layout d may have 3 divs and a totally different look from Layouts  a , b and c. There will be a lot of pages in this style.

Layout e may have 4 divs and a totally different  look from Layouts  a , b, c and d. There will be a lot of pages in this style.

I was going to have a main template for title bar and navigation and then another sub- template for each pagestyle making probably 8 or nine different templates.

Does this mean when I change the main template title bar or navigation, it should filter through to the other pages?

Is this the correct way of planning my site and should I have (or do I need) a different css stylesheet attached to each template. Can I just have loads of different divs in the one css file and hopefully remember which one to put where?

or am I completely off track and running in to big problems ahead?

all opinions and suggestions very welcome.

also when I see           /*and some text here*/    is that an American idea the way we would use "and some text here" in the UK?  - just curious to know.

regards

MIchael

• 1. Re: Am I complicating an easy system?
          osgood_ Level 8

Sounds way too complex for the use of templates to me. I would investigate server side includes (ssi) to refresh certainly the

navigation and title bar.

With server side includes you only update and upload one file whereas with a template system you have to upload every single page again after (if) the changes take effect. Templates should be reserved for basic simple sites of no more than 30 pages in my personal opinion (and that's pushing it a bit)

I'm pretty anal about keeping my code in order and whenever I've used templates I've found some pages don't update. It's then a nightmare to sort out which have updated and which have not. To change the pages that have not updated requires detaching it from the template to gain access to the code which is locked and defeats the use of Templates.

Dunno, if I was undertaking a big project I'd certainly look at a different more consistant and reliable method than DW templates.

• 2. Re: Am I complicating an easy system?
            M.R.Biesheuvel Level 3

Well my personal opinions is that you create to much layouts for one site (5 why?).

One good chosen design is enough I always try to convince myself and others. You can then always make some variations with some page elements like boxes etc .etc. which you can keep in a seperate css file called page_elements.css. KISS, keep it simple and stupid can be complex enough.

If its a big site with different portals I would create one template for each portal if they actually need to differ that much, and as allready mentioned maybe use server side includes.

But its just my opinion of course...

M.R.Biesheuvel

www.sportjegeestgezond.nl

• 3. Re: Am I complicating an easy system?
              MichaelCo Level 1

You can then always make some variations with some page elements like  boxes etc .etc. which you can keep in a seperate css file called  page_elements.css

Does this mean I can attach two or more style sheets to any given page? - may sound obvious but just want to clarify.

Or would I be better having a different css shet attached to each template?

• 4. Re: Am I complicating an easy system?
                M.R.Biesheuvel Level 3

Well if you create a page from a template you still can add more stylesheets to that page.

What I always do is create a template with one sheet for the main-layout and add another one for page elements that I use very often. But still your free to add css files to any page created from that template.

www.sportjegeestgezond.nl

M.R.Biesheuvel,