11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2010 4:44 PM by DRC_40

Problem PE8 with NVIDIA GeForce6600

leidan1

Has updated to PE8 (at first crash after chrash until the new update 8.01 !)  and it is now saying "incompatible

driver for my GeForce 6600 "  - update the drive- restart and change back to GPU-playing.

But when going to Nvidia and doing automatic search for the latest drive it says it is already there. Been having this drive since 2005 and no problem in PE7.  Any ideas on what to do now ?.,.

• 1. Re: Problem PE8 with NVIDIA GeForce6600
          the_wine_snob Level 9

What is the number and date of your GeForce 6600 driver? Often, the auto-updating does not pick up the newest driver, and one will have to go to the nVidia site, locate their card (and maybe OS), download and install it. Be very careful to read any installation instructions, as the exact method might differ by card, and by driver. Some are simple "run the installer," and some require that the user first disable older drivers, and maybe set things in the nVidia console.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Problem PE8 with NVIDIA GeForce6600
            leidan1 Level 1

Thanks for your answer Bill ! - the driver is date 2005--08-02 version 7.7.7.9  - seems to be a problem at Nvidia homepage will try again tomorrow

• 3. Re: Problem PE8 with NVIDIA GeForce6600
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, I encountered the problem with the nVidia Web site too. I was going to check what was the latest for your card, but no luck right now.

Considering that your driver is from 2005, I would guess that there have been maybe 60 newer ones released.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Problem PE8 with NVIDIA GeForce6600
                nealeh Level 5

The latest version has been released today (probably why you were hitting problems). It is196.75 WHQL.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 5. Re: Problem PE8 with NVIDIA GeForce6600
                  leidan1 Level 1

Hi again - been downloading the new driver and can see that it has gone in -

looks ok now - that is no complaint from PE8 after I changed to activate GPU-display. . Thanks !!

• 6. Re: Problem PE8 with NVIDIA GeForce6600
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news, and thanks for reporting.

Video (and audio) drivers can be rendered obsolete in an instant. Simple OS updates and hot-fixes can kill them instantly. Often, a user is unaware of this, as other programs will work mostly unaffected. However, video editing (especially with Adobe NLE's) has to interface very, very closely with the video driver - more than almost any other software, except recent games. That is why people, like nVidia, issue new drivers every few weeks.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Problem PE8 with NVIDIA GeForce6600
                      DRC_40 Level 1

This is going to drive me crazy. I am sitting here with a 9800 GTX+ and get the error but a 6600 user does not. I even downloaded the newest driver that was released yesterday and still same red x.

• 8. Re: Problem PE8 with NVIDIA GeForce6600
                        nealeh Level 5

Try completely removing the existing drivers before installing the new. This site will help: http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale

• 9. Re: Problem PE8 with NVIDIA GeForce6600
                          VDOSurfer Level 3

There's this thing about the latest drivers message after the patch.

Latest somehow does not mean acceptable by PrE8. This I have seen a few complain about. By latest, I think what Adobe means is "hopefully the new one is compatible because the old one isn't" The definition of "compatibility" is something that I have not completely understood.. yet.

Why was all this working in PrE7? and why did they suddenly stop working with 8? Either something dramatic has changed in the way the drivers are written in the last one year, or something basic has changed in the way Adobe has written PrE8 (at least the part that interfaces with the display drivers..). Either ways, some users are going to find problems even with latest drivers. Hope most don't. But many have..

If they're do see an incompatibility, same message is seen when switched to GPU (Edit->Preferences->General)

Just an observation.

Bullard

• 10. Re: Problem PE8 with NVIDIA GeForce6600
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, there have been several users (mostly PrPro users), who had to roll-back their nVidia (and an ATI, or two), to previous versions.

As for PrE 7 vs 8, nVidia released several driver versions, that incorporated some extreme gamer-only modules, and those wrecked most things Adobe. Unfortunately, this was right at the time that Adobe announced that they had paired with nVidia on some new GPU acceleration - just bad timing. This was at almost the same exact time that Adobe released PrE 8. Is it all timing? I do not know. PrE 8 does have some GPU acceleration for a few operations, but nothing like Adobe is working on with nVidia, to be released with PrPro CS5. I do not know if any of those additions factor in too, or not.

Just observations,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Problem PE8 with NVIDIA GeForce6600
                              DRC_40 Level 1

nealeh wrote:

Try completely removing the existing drivers before installing the new. This site will help: http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

Cheers,
                              --
                              Neale

Thanks for the tip but I never install new video drivers over old ones. I  dont need the utility, some may, because I know how to dig out what the  uninstaller leaves behind. I remove all the inf's and any folders,  reboot, check again for remnants before installing new video drivers.