1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 2, 2010 11:19 AM by waterdad568

Absolutely new to Flash

ASMac99

Hi,

I'm a retired programmer who has never used Flash.  I want to develop an application which will ideally :

read files from the local machine

display text and video with sound

record sound via the microphone, recording the sound locally

update local files

some of the operations are time-critical, measuring to 50 milliseconds or less

Is Flash - ActionScript the tool for me?

Would I have to install more than the basic development kit?

Thanks

Alan

• 1. Re: Absolutely new to Flash
          waterdad568 Level 3

ASMac99 wrote:

Hi,

I'm a retired programmer who has never used Flash.  I want to develop an application which will ideally :

read files from the local machine // * Flash and XML or Javascript can accomplish this, depending on file type.

display text and video with sound // *  Flash can acccompish this.

record sound via the microphone, recording the sound locally // * Flash does not record sounds, but actionscript can be used to start an application that will.

update local files // * Flash is not a database, but can be used in conjunction with one.

some of the operations are time-critical, measuring to 50 milliseconds or less // *  It depends on the operation, the output, the processor, the memory, the systems OS and needed runtime environments and displays of the end user.

Is Flash - ActionScript the tool for me? // * Could be. It's a powerful RIA IDE.

Would I have to install more than the basic development kit? // * It depends on what you will ultimately need to develop.

Thanks

Alan