2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2010 3:07 PM by Jovin49

Configuring HTTP Service

JohnMerlino Level 1

When I configure an http service, I create an operation updateItem, assign it a method of POST, Content-Type application/xml, and then specify a URL: http://localhost:3000/sites/1/students/3. Now when I go to test the operation, this is what I get:

InvocationTargetException:There was an error while invoking the operation. Check your operation inputs and try invoking the operation again.

Response Received:
      Length Required

WEBrick::HTTPStatus::LengthRequired

Yet, in my application there is no such error when doing an update. However, when I try to accomplish it using Flash Builder, I get the above error. Am I doing something wrong in the Configure HTTP Service window? Thanks for any suggestions.

• 1. Re: Configuring HTTP Service
          JohnMerlino Level 1

I  completely abandoned the CallResponder route. It just took too much time to figure out and there's practically no in-depth resources out there for setting it up with HTTP Service (although you will find resources for ColdFusion and PHP). So I tried HTTP Service rather than CallResponder in the code:

<mx:HTTPService id="user_requestsUpdate" url="{CONTEXT_URL}/user_requests/{user_requestsGrid.selectedItem.id}/confirm_request"
                                  method="POST"
                                  resultFormat = "e4x"
                                  contentType="application/xml"
                                  headers="{{X_HTTP_METHOD_OVERRIDE: 'PUT'}}" />

This produces this:

[RPC Fault faultString="Error #1090: XML parser failure: element is malformed." faultCode="Client.CouldNotDecode" faultDetail="null"]

It's shocking to me how difficult it is just to make a simple update using flex.

• 2. Re: Configuring HTTP Service
            Jovin49 Level 1

John,

Did you check the docs on configurng HTTPService in Flash Builder? Also, Configuring a custom data type (HTTPService). Please let me know what's missing or confusing with these docs.

Also, here is a blog post from Sujit Reddy G with an example for HTTP Service that might be helpful as well.

Vince Genovese