3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2010 11:08 AM by John Waller

Organizing files shortcut?

tltagami Level 1

We are trying to organize some sites that were built poorly. I am wondering if there is an easy way to locate all the images in a site and move them all into a new folder. I know that you can find all the images in the Assets window, but I can't drag and drop them from there. When I choose "Locate in Site" it highlights the in the file structure, but I still can't drag and drop into a new folder. Is there a way to do what I am trying to do?

• 1. Re: Organizing files shortcut?
          370H55V Level 4

The problem with simply dragging and dropping files to move them, is that there are references to these files, sometimes from multiple lines on multiple pages, that all need to be updated when you do it. I can't say for certain, but I'm pretty sure that's the reason you can't do it from the Asset panel, or it wouldn't take very long at all to make a complete mess of an entire site (broken links, missing images, scripts and CSS no longer working, etc.).

Any file moving should be done in the OS interface, be it Windows Explorer or Mac's Finder. Afterward, you'd need to go through page by page and update all links, images, and file references so they are correct.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Organizing files shortcut?
            tltagami Level 1

I figured it out! Here are the steps:

In the Assets panel, choose the type of file you are looking for (ex: images). Then select all the images, right click and choose Locate in Site. That will bring up the Files pane with all the images highlighted. Then right click, Edit, Cut. Open the folder you want to put them in and Paste. The file associations will automatically update!

There might be a more direct way to do this, but this way works!

• 3. Re: Organizing files shortcut?
              John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Any file moving should be done in the OS interface, be it Windows Explorer or Mac's Finder. Afterward, you'd need to go through page by page and update all links, images, and file references so they are correct.

That's the hard way.

If you do all your file moving in DW's File Panel, all the links and file references are automatically updated for you as you move files.