7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2010 11:24 AM by rmack350

I use DW 2004, will this make my webpages obsolete?

alxcrbie

I have Dreamweaver MX 2004, and i was wondering whether there has been so many changes to the w3c, HTML and the way search engines work that my webpages will be somehow obsolete. They wont show up in search results as well as if i had the newest version of Dreamweaver.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: I use DW 2004, will this make my webpages obsolete?
          Ben M Adobe Community Professional

I wouldn't say the code is obsolete.  I would say that the code Dreamweaver creates has been refined and now utilizes CSS more than HTML styles as that has become the standard.  One important item to note is that currently you are 3 versions back so you can upgrade to CS4.  However, you will not be able to move to CS5 from MX2004 without buying another full license since Adobe's policy only allows the previous 3 versions to upgrade.  So you may want to take that into serious consideration.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: I use DW 2004, will this make my webpages obsolete?
            osgood_ Level 8

alxcrbie wrote:

I have Dreamweaver MX 2004, and i was wondering whether there has been so many changes to the w3c, HTML and the way search engines work that my webpages will be somehow obsolete. They wont show up in search results as well as if i had the newest version of Dreamweaver.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Your pages won't be obsolete and it won't affect search engine results either.

MX2004 was and still is a great html editor.

Browsers are and still will be backwards compatible with deprecated mark-up for years to come.

The only thing that you need concern yourself with is as Snake says once CS5 comes out, vey shortly, it's well into its beta testing cycle and I expect it to be released in the next few weeks, you won't be able to upgrade.

You can always tell when a program is near completion because a lot of the TMM's, or whatever they call themselves, go to ground, which means they are testing out the beta version before official release.

• 3. Re: I use DW 2004, will this make my webpages obsolete?
              David_Powers Adobe Community Professional

osgood_ wrote:

You can always tell when a program is near completion because a lot of the TMM's, or whatever they call themselves, go to ground, which means they are testing out the beta version before official release.

We're called ACPs these days. It stands for Adobe Community Professional. There was a suggestion that we should be called Adobe Professional Experts, but some people didn't like the idea of being called an APE.

As far as going to ground as a program nears completion, nothing could be further from the truth. Most beta testing takes place many months before a program is released. Also, being an ACP doesn't guarantee membership of the beta testing team.

I have no idea when CS5 will be released. Adobe never reveals that information to anyone until it's ready to tell everyone. I'll probably find out at the same time as you.

As for upgrade pricing, again that's shrouded in secrecy. It might be possible to upgrade to CS4 in the period between the CS5 announcement and its actual release. In the past, anyone buying between announcement and release has qualified for a free upgrade, but there's no guarantee it will happen again this time - whenever that might be.

• 4. Re: I use DW 2004, will this make my webpages obsolete?
                osgood_ Level 8

David_Powers wrote:

osgood_ wrote:

We're called ACPs these days. It stands for Adobe Community Professional. There was a suggestion that we should be called Adobe Professional Experts, but some people didn't like the idea of being called an APE.

Yeah, I can't keep up with all the changes these days, its not something that weighs big on my mind. I seem to remember TMM for some reason (maybe a golden era). I have no idea what it stands for though.

David_Powers wrote:

As far as going to ground as a program nears completion, nothing could be further from the truth. Most beta testing takes place many months before a program is released. Also, being an ACP doesn't guarantee membership of the beta testing team.

I have no idea when CS5 will be released. Adobe never reveals that information to anyone until it's ready to tell everyone. I'll probably find out at the same time as you.

I've noticed patterns emerging over several years. The release will be in the next few weeks. I've got inside information that its going to be a limited edition version aimed at the amateur market which is only compatible with the following computers:

1) Amstrad CPC464

2) Spectrum ZX

3) Commodore 64

• 5. Re: I use DW 2004, will this make my webpages obsolete?
                  John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                  function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

I seem to remember TMM for some reason (maybe a golden era). I have no idea what it stands for though.

I remember the days of Team Macromedia Members well.

• 6. Re: I use DW 2004, will this make my webpages obsolete?
                    osgood_ Level 8

John Waller wrote:

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

I seem to remember TMM for some reason (maybe a golden era). I have no idea what it stands for though.

I remember the days of Team Macromedia Members well.

Yes, of course, 'Team Macromedia Members'. Before Macromedia sold their soul to the devil. A truly golden and enlightening era.

Thanks for reminding me John.

Os

• 7. Re: I use DW 2004, will this make my webpages obsolete?
                      rmack350

If you go from MX2004 to CS4 you'll find that CS4 pretty much insists that all styling be done in CSS. This is good if you're starting a new project or if you've already been super-religious about using CSS and only CSS.

It's BAD, though, if you've been styling things without CSS or if you're not in control of the style sheets. If this is the case you might look for an upgrade to CS3, rather than CS4. CS4 can be very restrictive.

I backed out to CS3 today for these very reasons. I can't change our client's stylesheets so there are times when I just have to use tag attributes.

Anyway, no, CS4 will not make old pages obsolete, but CS3 might be a bit more flexible if you need to maintain those old pages.

Rob Mack