13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2010 2:23 PM by jimvt

I have 2 new HDs to add to PC - where will they help the most?

jimvt

I recently purchased 2 new Hard Drives (1TB SAMSUNG F1) that match the ones I currently use in my Intel core i7 PC running Windows 7.  I'm wondering where these new HDs will do me the most good, as far as performance and considering future growth, etc. 90% of my work is in 1080i at about 130Mbps  Oh yeah, I'm on a budget, so thanks for not suggesting I buy 10 more drives and a high end RAID card ;-)  FYI, I'm currently using the motherboard's Intel RAID controller.... I know - I would love to buy a real RAID card!!

Here is my current HD set-up - total of 4 Samsung 1TB F1 7200 RPM:

Drive c: OS and apps

Drive d: 2 disk RAID0 - I set this for "capture" within each PPRO project. I also send media encoder renders here because the sources files are mostly rendered files on the e drive. Plus I often want to back-up these encodes along with the capture files.

Drive e: "render drive"  - target for PPRO preview renders, caches  (including Cineform renders)

* I realize the flaw with above now - since I use the Cineform CODEC for most edits, almost every clip ends up needing to be rendered, so my poor solo render drive is actually doing more work and playing bigger bit-rate files then my capture array. (I may or may not get a capture card at this point)

** the other issue that comes into play here is which files need to be kept and backed up and which drives can be regularly restriped. From my short time with PPRO, it would seem that none of the PPRO preview or cache files need to be saved or backed up....just the capture files and any media encoder files that I want to keep.  Am I missing anything here?

So, I see my options as:

add both new HDs to render array to create a 3 disk RAID0 for renders/previews, leaving the 2 disk RAID0 for captures

add (1) HD to render to create a 2 disk RAID0 render array and use the second new HD somehow to improve performance or workflow

Thanks for your advice on how best to use the two new HDs to improve my system. I think that I only have 6 SATA plugs on my motherboard (ASUS P6T V2), so this fills out my internal HD options.

Thanks!

Jim

• 1. Re: I have 2 new HDs to add to PC - where will they help the most?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Since most of your material is HDV and you use Cineform, that means relatively large files but pretty easy on the CPU. Second, you have 6 disk drives available and 6 SATA connectors on the mobo.

I would use 1 disk for OS, programs & pagefile and combine the remaining 5 disks in a raid5, effectively giving you 4 TB space. That is enough for Cineform files, I think. The speed would be a lot faster than a 2 disk (r)aid0 and it will give you redundancy, which can be a life saver. It also makes for easy organization, just keep everything on this raid. The IHCR10 supports raid5 and the CPU overhead is not a problem because you work with Cineform.

Just my 0.02

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: I have 2 new HDs to add to PC - where will they help the most?
            jimvt Level 1

Harm,

Interesting option.  I like the simplicity of it and love the fact that I'd be able to recover data in the case of a drive failure. Having read many of your posts about using separate hard drives to keep captured and rendered video apart in order to not have one drive/array trying to supply all the video files during playback/playout, I'm wondering if having all PPRO folders on one array - even if it is faster - will work as well as separate drives.  I understand that since I use Cineform, my entire timeline is always rendered.....just checking to make sure I'm not missing anything that might create a data traffic jam.

I'll read up on RAID5 and its implimentation on the Intel MoBo RAID chip.

Thanks,

Jim

• 3. Re: I have 2 new HDs to add to PC - where will they help the most?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Jim,

With only 3 or 4 disks I generally advise against RAID, but in your case with 6 drives, it is the road I would take. I see no downsides, only positives, redundancy, increased speed and easier organization.

• 4. Re: I have 2 new HDs to add to PC - where will they help the most?
                Studio North Films Level 3

hi,

jim

I have just set my raid on my mobo to raid 5 as Halm recomended, as this way i have backup and pretty good speed. your mobo also has an ide connector, so if you wanted you could get a ide to sata convertor for more hds. or use a external esata aswell for future upgrade.

bare in mind, it takes aprox 12 hours or so to initialize the raid 5, also download the intel matrix software and drivers. this way you will be able to check progress while in windows.

this is the best option i could do, saving up for a areca raid controller.

good luck

baz

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: I have 2 new HDs to add to PC - where will they help the most?
                  jimvt Level 1

Baz,

Thanks for your helpful post!  I am trudging through an upgrade to Windows 7 retail from the RC. It worked but is not very stable, so I may have to do a clean install.

Anyway - since you just went through setting up a RAID5 using the Intel MoBo feature, I was hoping that you would be willing to reply with a basic "How-to" or list of steps involved.  It has been 8 months since I played with the hard drive arrangement and I can't remember what I did or how, ie, do I start with doing things in the BIOS, how do I stripe the RAID5, etc.  Any help would be appreciated!  In the meantime, I'll download the Intel Matrix software as you suggested.

Thanks,

Jim

My current arrangement is below. I have two new Samsung F1 HDs to add to these. FYI, the new drives are the same make/size as the existing, but are the commmercial grade. The existing HDs are the ordinary grade....I assume that these will work together in a RAID5 OK.

MoBo = ASUS P6T Delux V2

CPU = Core i7

Disk 0 = OS, boot, page file, primary partition

Disk 1 = video files  (capture)  *  this is a RAID0 using two 1TB Samsung F1

Disk 2 = renders  * single 1TB Samsung F1

• 6. Re: I have 2 new HDs to add to PC - where will they help the most?
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Jim,

You setup your raid5 in the BIOS. Just follow the manual to accomplish that. Then in Win7 go to disk management, look here for details: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/584857

• 8. Re: I have 2 new HDs to add to PC - where will they help the most?
                      jimvt Level 1

Harm,

Just FYI - once I took the PC covers off and started installing the new hard drives I realized that one of the six available SATA ports was used by my DVD drive - so, 4 existing drives, I only had one free port to use....and I stole that one off my PC case's front panel e-SATA connector.  So with only 4 drives to work with and the drawback of writing the parity bits I decided to sitck with RAID0.  So I have a 2-drive RAID0 for incoming captures and video source files and another 2-drive RAID0 for all renders/previews.  I'll plan to back-up the video source RAID0 after each capture/import session and won't bother backing up the render array.  Not perfect, but at least I'll have plenty of performance and space.

I'll move to RAID10 once I can swing a discreet RAID card and a few more drives.

Thanks again,

Jim

PS- I think you may have the same MoBo as me - P6T Deluxe V2?  I had a Q : Now that I am out of SATA ports I tried hooking up an external e-SATA drive to the eSATA port on the back of the PC....it is connected directly to the MoBo.  Nothing happens when I use that port with a known-good drive. Any idea if/how to get it working?

• 9. Re: I have 2 new HDs to add to PC - where will they help the most?
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Jim,

I actually have the P6T WS Pro, which luckily has 8 SATA ports, of which 2 are used for my BR burners and 5 are for internal disks and the last one is for the eSATA connector on top. All other 12 disks are on my Areca controller.

First step is to check in the BIOS that the eSATA port is enabled and to check your mobo manual that it is correctly setup.

• 10. Re: I have 2 new HDs to add to PC - where will they help the most?
                          Studio North Films Level 3

Hi,

Jim

if you go to Bios, Advanced, Onboard device configuration,

and Enable (Marvell storage controller).

this will enable your e-sata port.

baz

• 11. Re: I have 2 new HDs to add to PC - where will they help the most?
                            jimvt Level 1

Thanks, Harm and Baz.

Another situation came up yesterday - I tried Tom's Hardware for an answer, but nothing so far.  Windows 7 is reporting that one of my 8 month-old Samsung Spinpoint hard drives had an "error ocurred". A similar message is listed under the same drive in bios.  I ran a low level reformat of the 2-drive RAID0 array that it is a member of last night but am still getting this message at boot-up. 

I wondering if this just means I should return the drive or whether I can run some kind of diagnostic or repair software to try to fix it. I don't own any such software and am willing to buy a recommended package.  This issue seemed to first show up when I upgraded from Windows 7 RC to retail yesterday - could be a coincidence..or not.

Thanks for any ideas/experience with this error.

Jim

• 12. Re: I have 2 new HDs to add to PC - where will they help the most?
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

If you can repeat this with CHKDSK at boottime with a full surface scan, I would exchange the disk under warranty. Also check the SMART info with Speedfan or similar utilities. If you have any doubt about the reliability of a disk while you still have guarantee on it, I suggest exchanging the disk. I did the same with two disks in my large array. Luckily, due to the redundancy, it only took some background processing to rebuild the array, but no data loss.

• 13. Re: I have 2 new HDs to add to PC - where will they help the most?
                                jimvt Level 1

Harm,

Turns out that deleting the array and then setting it up again has cleared this error and it has not returned after several reboots.  I had already backed up all the data, so it was a quick fix.  I'll keep my eye on that drive though and replace it the next time it hiccups.

Thanks for the tips!