10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2010 11:20 PM by c.pfaffenbichler

A list of feature requests ...

carson.jones Level 1

These are a few things we've wanted to request for some time...

• one command to delete all alpha channels

• one command to delete all paths

• ability to link layers with alpha channels and paths for all Transform functions

• ability to highlight multiple layers without having to 'group' them (e.g. shift click layers and highlight one to highlight all)

• more highlight colours and the option to add custom colours

• ability to highlight Alpha channels and Paths (identical to Layers Panel)

• horizontal tool bar option

• File browser Panel (ability to view a folder of files from within PS / open files from within a PS Panel)

• Preflight filter - set custom file standards and have PS check and correct files accordingly

• new CS4 brush resize feature in Liquify filter

• ability to mask Alpha channels

• blend modes for channels without having to use Calculations (identical setup to Layers Panel)

• Adjustment Layers, such as levels and curves, within the Channels panel (e.g. 'adjustment alpha' with mask)

• A built-in feature that allows users to fully backup and transfer their custom settings / plugins / workspaces / actions / preferences/ etc. in one easy step

Thanks!

• 1. Re: A list of feature requests ...
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

First off: We are distinctly discouraged from posting these lists (even though I admit having done it myself) – because reactions are difficult to evaluate, I guess.

With one request the ensuing traffic can give some indication as to the relevance other users assign to it, but this way?

Anyway:

• scriptable and anyway multiple Channels can be selected and deleted in CS4

• scriptable

• a workaround exists using LayerSets, Layer Masks and Path Masks, but is certainly not very convenient

• I’m not quite sure I follow that point – You don’t mean Linking/Select Linked Layers?

• more Layer Colors – would be welcome

• that request seems unclear to me, too

• I think some request like that has come up recently … but what have people got against Bridge?

• do You mean color-wise or resolution-wise? Because the former one could be done with the Color Settings (even though I wouldn’t) the latter might be dependent on the scale-factor in the layout-application, thus may not be Photoshop’s immediate domain, and anyway: scriptable

• I concur

• see below

• see below

• those three points seem to effectively mean Layer capabilities for Channels, which I would like to see in the form of something like »one Channel Smart Objects as Layer Masks«

• it does indeed seem a bit easy to overlook some Presets in that process, so that might be an improvement

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: A list of feature requests ...
            Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Mostly good stuff. The first two requests I agree with."CS4 brush resize feature in Liquify filter" - agree. The "layer highlighting" - to clarify, you mean the highlight colors, being able to color more than one at a time  -  I agree

The rest of the stuff about swapping the functionality of layers and channels - hmm, having a new Calculations interface of some sort is a VERY old request and much needed, but designing this is very problematic.

This is how I think they may do it - basically increased functionality for Photoshops new Masks Panel. Lets say you highlight a layer mask or alpha - up pops the masks panel. This then provides a fully 'layered' Stucture - with tonal adjustment layers, blend modes and channel checkboxes. These features only show up in the panel when the mask or alpha is highlighted.

"Mask alpha channels"  doesn't make sense.

The last request I also agree with. There is a workaround involving taking the CONTENTS of your entire Photoshop Preference set (within your system folder on mac) - and backing these up, moving them, or overwriting them.

• 3. Re: A list of feature requests ...
              carson.jones Level 1

My apologies for the long list everyone!  I debated posting each one separately but didn't want to flood the forums with a long string of posts.  It won't happen again.

"Mask alpha channels"  doesn't make sense.

We would like the option to use the equivalent of a layer mask on a channel.  The work around for this is to copy / paste channel content into new layers and work on them in the Layers Panel.  Once complete, copy / paste them back to an Alpha Channel.  We would find this useful for creative compositing.

• scriptable and anyway multiple Channels can be selected and deleted in CS4

Multiple channels must be selected manually even in CS 4 and deleted as a group.  For years we've wanted an action or command that would delete all alpha channels.  The workaround is to save files as copies without including alpha channels.  This creates duplicate files and doesn't seem to be the best solution.  Basically, without having to script because we're not programmers, we would like a built-in PS way to easily delete all Alphas and Paths with either an action or single command.

• I’m not quite sure I follow that point – You don’t mean Linking/Select Linked Layers?

Currently each layer colour must be applied to layers one at a time unless they are grouped.  We would like the option to change Layer highlight colours on multiple layers all at once without having to group them.

Also, we use the layer colour highlight feature with virtually every image we work on.  We would like this option available for Channels and Paths also.

• 4. Re: A list of feature requests ...
                c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Currently each layer colour must be applied to layers one at a time unless they are grouped.
                I had not got Your meaning; the feature would be welcome.

• 5. Re: A list of feature requests ...
                  emil emil Level 4

carson.jones wrote:

• ability to link layers with alpha channels and paths for all Transform functions

c.pfaffenbichler wrote:

• a workaround exists using LayerSets, Layer Masks and Path Masks, but is certainly not very convenient

I have suffered a lot from this one.

Typical scenario: making a path to cut an object from the background then transforming the image especally with scaling and the path no longer matches.

c.pfaffenbichler, can you please give more details or pointers to this workaround.

• 6. Re: A list of feature requests ...
                    Reynolds (Mark) Level 4
                    Typical scenario: making a path to cut an object from the background
                    then transforming the image especally with scaling and the path no
                    longer matches.

Its not really a Workaround. Whenever Paths relate directly to pixel content you should be using a vector layer mask for this. This means that transforms will affect both the pixel content and the path simultaneously. Link icon has to be activated. Make sure before you go into Free Transform that the layer itself is highlighted.

Added tip - Shift clicking on the vector mask will disable its clipping from view. This means that editing the path becomes precisely the same as editing any other Path, with no drawbacks.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: A list of feature requests ...
                      carson.jones Level 1

Hi Mark - thanks and a good tip. 

The thing we find is that typically we'll have many paths, each for a specific image element, and we like to pick and choose which ones transform and which ones don't.  Having them all together in a vector mask satisfies the need to carry through the transformation on the path but it doesn't allow for targeting which path elements we'd like to affect.

• 8. Re: A list of feature requests ...
                        emil emil Level 4

Reynolds (Mark) wrote:

you should be using a vector layer mask for this...

Great I actually didn't know about this feature. I should have been at least checking what's new in each version. I'm so embarrassed that I don't even want to know which version this feature was introduced. LOL

Thanks a milion

• 9. Re: A list of feature requests ...
                          Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Emil - not a new feature actually, was always part of Vector Masking introduced Photoshop 6. Those were the days when new features were introduced they were well thought through and implemented. And had a lot of great stuff hidden under the surface, without knocking anyone over the head with space wasting buttons and dialogs.

Thanks from me also, I didn't know about the Locking of adjustment layers affecting Auto-select until you just pointed it out. Always wondered why it seemed to be inconsistent!

So, looks like we both taught each other something today. Glad we are finally seeing this forum being constructive.

• 10. Re: A list of feature requests ...
                            c.pfaffenbichler Level 9
                            The thing we find is that typically we'll have many paths, each for a specific image element, and we like to pick and choose which ones transform and which ones don't.  Having them all together in a vector mask satisfies the need to carry through the transformation on the path but it doesn't allow for targeting which path elements we'd like to affect

In such a case it can be useful to create empty layers (or groups) apply the Vector Masks to those, group them all together with the pixel content and transform the group; Paths that are not to be transformed can be unlinked from their Layer (or Group).

Still not very convenient, I’m afraid.