3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2010 8:23 AM by Jesseham

Help! Need to create outline of a text shadow...

Signature123

EPL.jpg

Hi there

I have designed the above white shadow using the path offset function. I want to create outlines for this shadoa only but am experiencing some difficulty. I have expanded the image but this shows both outlines for the black text and the white shadow. I only want the outlines for the white shadow so that this can be cut out, but another tricky thing is, i dont want the complete letters cut out but only the outline shape of letters (i tried to show above)..

Please forward any ideas.

Thanks

Gemma

• 1. Re: Help! Need to create outline of a text shadow...
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Gemma,

I have designed the above white shadow using the path offset function. I want to create outlines for this shadoa only but am experiencing some difficulty. I have expanded the image but this shows both outlines for the black text and the white shadow. I only want the outlines for the white shadow so that this can be cut out, but another tricky thing is, i dont want the complete letters cut out but only the outline shape of letters (i tried to show above)..

If the offset is sufficient to make the borders of the white shadows overlap or have coinciding Anchor Points, you may Pathfinder>Merge, and then release Compound Paths and remove counters (holes in letters) as needed.

• 2. Re: Help! Need to create outline of a text shadow...
            Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I am not certain what you want to do but if this is what you want to do you can select your art with the offset path and the background rectangle or shape and make an opacity mask, inverted but not clipped then Flatten the transparency and select the letters and fill them with black or any color you want.

Screen shot 2010-03-03 at 8.50.34 AM.png

• 3. Re: Help! Need to create outline of a text shadow...
              Jesseham Level 4

Are you looking for Object -> Path -> Outline Stroke?  That will create a fill based on your stroke. You can then do an offset path to that to size it to your specifications.